IS IT JUST ME?

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 07:11 am
Or has A2K gotten more vicious over the last few years? Perhaps now its the proximity to the US election season , but even the Europeans and other country's members seem to be more interested in slinging insults usually initiated by arguing the spelling, meaning, or "proper" use of a single word than the topic at hand.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 33 • Views: 17,042 • Replies: 309

Thomas

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 07:20 am
@farmerman,
Approaching US elections tend to do that. They've done it in 2008, 2004, 2000 (on Abuzz). That said, I usually leave political threads before they degenerate into mud slinging, and I'm not noticing much of a change in the first, interesting pages.

So yes, it's just you. (As far as I am concerned.)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 07:49 am
@farmerman,
The mood here always swings with the election cycles.
Ragman

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 07:54 am
@ehBeth,
I have noticed that trend, too. This election cycle might be a bit more intense than the last few due to the impact and importance on both sides of the pond with the outcome. Not to mention how badly drifts the world economies and the unjust wars still being waged in the name of democracy(?).
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 08:12 am
I joined in November 2004, and my impression is that it's always been like that. I don't think it peaks in US election year. There have always been Americans who think there aren't any other countries in the world, Europeans who get riled at that, gun nuts, trolls, angst-ridden teenagers, Chinese learners of English, OCD sufferers, etc.
thack45

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 08:17 am
@farmerman,
that should be "countries' " ... freedom hater

i agree with the rest. the dark cloud of the US elections is looming
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 09:36 am
Yeah, it's just you . . . and the American-hating Contrex . . . staighten up Bubbala . . .
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 09:43 am
@farmerman,
A lot of our lighter-hearted members are no longer posting. Can't remember the last posts from Slappy, Gustav, LittleK, etc.
Irishk

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 09:43 am
Quote:
Americans who think there aren't any other countries in the world,
Oh, we know they exist. We just don't know what they're called or where they're located. Razz
Setanta

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 09:48 am
I blame the French . . .
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 10:39 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:
... There have always been Americans who think there aren't any other countries in the world, Europeans who get riled at that, gun nuts, trolls, angst-ridden teenagers, Chinese learners of English, OCD sufferers, etc.

What is a "European"? Do they live in New England?
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 10:53 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

A lot of our lighter-hearted members are no longer posting. Can't remember the last posts from Slappy, Gustav, LittleK, etc.

Yes, humor has escaped from a2k - sadly so!
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 10:56 am
@Ticomaya,
No, in California! Laughing It's seldom enough, but the minute I enter a political discussion, I get the Nazi bat swung over my head... so there you have it! Smile
farmerman

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 11:14 am
@DrewDad,
Thats what I miss. The light heartedness that I once felt seems to be gone. Guys like Gus and Dadpad, never took themselves so seriously that they believed they were a gift to the rest of us.

roger

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 11:58 am
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

. . . I get the Nazi bat swung over my head... so there you have it! Smile

Yes, but in a light hearted and humorous kind of way.
Ragman

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 12:05 pm
@farmerman,
I'd like to contend that I maintain my sense of humor (punning as I go along) regardless - however I'd be less than objective or accurate if I really thought it was 100% the truth. I do lose my sense of humor and mirth now and then.

After 10+yrs here and Abuzz, my humor seems to get little notice. It's the way it is. People tend to want to vent or stand on soapboxes pontificating .... or congratulate each other when in agreement or commonality has been reached. My observation is that, to some degree, that certain felt sense of community has evaporated a bit further lately. Losses of people like Dys, Cav, lightWiz, mary...and others, who may simply found greener pastures, sort of diminished the fun spirit and maybe the closeness.

Then again, it may be the nature or trending of any online community to migrate and evolve...as people drift in and out?
contrex

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 12:08 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:
What is a "European"? Do they live in New England?

They live in Germany, which is in upstate New York.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 12:12 pm
@Ragman,
The sense of community has not evaporated -- it has only been diluted. There are tens of thousands more members than when you or I started.
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 12:42 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

CalamityJane wrote:

. . . I get the Nazi bat swung over my head... so there you have it! Smile

Yes, but in a light hearted and humorous kind of way.

I know, roger, I never take those things serious anyway Wink
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 12:43 pm
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

The sense of community has not evaporated -- it has only been diluted. There are tens of thousands more members than when you or I started.

Where the hell are they?