New A2K feature requests.

DrewDad

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 09:19 am
I'd like a view that shows the threads in which I've posted, and a link that would take me to the last post I've made in that thread.

It would be really cool to have an indicator of whether anything has been added to the thread since my last post.

That'd be cool, thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 24 • Views: 35,820 • Replies: 149

Thomas

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 09:23 am
Someone (no idea who Smile ) mentioned it would be nice to have the option of declaring some tags private ("to read later", "favorite threads", etc.) I agree.

This feature should be opt-in. Tags serve a public function, so they shouldn't be private unless a user explicitly declares them to be.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 10:18 am
@DrewDad,
DD,

Unless i'm mistaken, My Posts gives the list of your posts sorted by time. however, it doesn't show the latest post, if someone else posted after you. for that, you can put a tag on the topic the post is in, then look at My Tags. unfortunately, that doesn't show who posted last, so it could just show the last thing you posted, which you probably didn't want to look at again. Confused

to make a long story short, i wish that when you look at My Tags, it would show who posted last in each topic in the list; i don't have a good enough memory to look at the time of the last post & determine from that if the post was by me or someone else.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 10:31 am
@yitwail,
I guess I'm thinking a "My Posts" view with just one's last post in each thread.

Hopefully, one could then sort by vote, last post, most views, etc.

The link to one's last post in the thread would let you jump to where you (presumably) left the thread.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 10:41 am
@DrewDad,
I have always made it my business to greet and welcome a new member. In the past, the number of posts that a person had told you if the person was new. You now have to go to the profile page to see if the member is a newbie, and that is a pain in the butt.

For instance, this morning, I saw a thread from a member whose name was unfamiliar. I did check the profile page, but it would be much easier if the member's post figures were right on his/her thread.
yitwail

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 11:54 am
@yitwail,
i wrote:
to make a long story short, i wish that when you look at My Tags, it would show who posted last in each topic in the list; i don't have a good enough memory to look at the time of the last post & determine from that if the post was by me or someone else.

answering my own question, the time of the post is underlined if you haven't read it yet. still have to read your own post once in order to get rid of underlining, but after that, nobody else has posted since you unless the underlining comes back. also, as others have written elsewhere, there can be a delay between the time you read a new post & when the underlining goes away. Confused
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 12:45 pm
Drewdad's feature request #2: Don't have "Topic voted down (view)" count toward the thread count (ha!) on the page.

Not being interested in word games, I've voted them down. Now nine of 20 threads show "Topic voted down (view)." I suspect the number will climb higher as folks get used to the site.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 01:02 pm
I would like the "Reply All" button to be available on the bottom of the page - so that it either moves down with me (like the green Top and End buttons), or is available at the last post.

That would be rad.
dagmaraka

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 01:03 pm
@dagmaraka,
or maybe it could just be in every post... .Reply...Reply to All...Report
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 01:03 pm
@dagmaraka,
Seconded.

Edit: and now voted up.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 01:45 pm
Two things I would really, really like but that have already been mentioned lots by others:

• This! Pretty please.

• Making quoting less of a bitch. Huge deterioration compared with the old site. You click reply, click to see bbcode, click quote, manually type in the name of who you are quoting, manually copy and paste the text you want to quote in between the tags.

Eliminating any of those steps would be great. For example by offering a "Reply" and "Quote" button for each post, so you can choose whether to reply with or without quoting the original post.

Then for a rather obscure thing that bothers me and that I havent seen raised anywhere yet:

• You can't seem to manually tweak font size anymore.

In the old site, if you selected text and then clicked "small" or "large" or "huge", the font size would show up in the 'size' tag in familiar specifications. You could see the size was 9 or 12 or 18 - same specifications as in Word. And if you thought 12 was too small or 18 too large, you could then tweak it according to wish. Eg, for newspaper headlines within quotes, I used 16.

Now, if you use the font size thing, the tag will specify the size as 50, 100 or 150; and you cant change it. If you change it to 120 or 130 or 125, the tag wont work anymore.
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 02:27 pm
How come some people have their avatar and some people dont? I see no way to add one now!
Mame

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 02:27 pm
@DrewDad,
I would like the Tags box (to the left under Start a Discussion) to be alphabetized or categorized as the old A2K one was. Just easier to read.

I echo DD's comments...the bolded bits.

Quote:
I'd like a view that shows the threads in which I've posted, and a link that would take me to the last post I've made in that thread.

It would be really cool to have an indicator of whether anything has been added to the thread since my last post.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 02:36 pm
@Victor Murphy,
http://able2know.org/topic/120955-1
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 06:12 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Quote:
I have always made it my business to greet and welcome a new member. In the past, the number of posts that a person had told you if the person was new. You now have to go to the profile page to see if the member is a newbie, and that is a pain in the butt...

I agree with what Phoenix said about the number of posts being right there on the thread with the poster. Is that coming back or can you do that on the new site?
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 06:13 pm
Just checking this out. If I hit "Reply to All" my post goes at the end of the thread, right? ....
Okay, just doing a quick edit. I did that & got my own answer! Smile
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 06:16 pm
An extra "quote button" would be definitely helpful.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 06:20 pm
Currently there is no way to sort the "My Posts" list.

If we were able to sort the "My Posts" list by "Lastest Post", it would come close to duplicating the "My Threads" feature which we had on the previous version.

The only thing missing would be the color coding of a topic updated since it was last read.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 09:20 pm
@dagmaraka,
Yes, and/or reply to post should be at the bottom of the post.
Reply all should definitly be at the bottom of the page
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 01:48 am
@DrewDad,
I'd like there to be some sort of indication of whether there have been any new posts (to threads I'm interested in) when I log in again. Saves going back & checking constantly.
0 Replies