Can we just !/$$!?$?! leave now?

JPB

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2012 05:19 pm
What's it going to take to proclaim mission accomplished and get the hell out of Afghanistan?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 28 • Views: 22,815 • Replies: 357

JPB

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2012 06:12 pm
@JPB,
This thread was intended to solicit opinions. I'm for letting the Afghan people figure out how to best self-determine their future. We may not like what they decide, but it has become clear to me that there are some pockets in the world that do not embrace our culture and that they may be best left to their own self will.

Are there folks here who think we should stay for another two years?
sozobe

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2012 06:17 pm
@JPB,
Not me.

As heartbreaking as the rampage is -- and it's awful -- that was definitely my first thought.

Maybe this will give us a reason to get out.

I hate to abandon them but I don't think we're helping enough, cost/ benefit wise.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2012 06:34 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

What's it going to take to proclaim mission accomplished and get the hell out of Afghanistan?

OMG! I thought US WAS out of there already? Will the madness end already?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2012 06:46 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

A Ron Paul administration.
thack45

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2012 06:53 pm
@joefromchicago,
haha. you read my mind
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2012 06:56 pm
@JPB,
Is there an officially stated reason for us to still be there?

And what is the "real" unofficial reason why the US is still there?

I can't believe that any US administration is completely mindless in its choices. But I do believe that there are unspoken motives which they believe will have some benefit for us (the US). I wonder what those unspoken motives are.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2012 07:02 pm
@JPB,
I didn't want us there in the first place, even chasing Bin Laden. I think every minute of all these wars brings us more hate, a stackup of hate. I think defense spending should be for defense, not aggression.

This doesn't mean that I don't understand soldiers and support them, and I somewhat understand generals and their tactics. I just have a different view of what is useful for us to do.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2012 07:04 pm
I reluctantly supported striking at Bin Laden, but never wanted a prolonged war out of it. It was time to get out long ago.
JPB

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2012 07:05 pm
@rosborne979,
I think it may have to do with the impact on the unemployment rate if all of the soldiers come home and start looking for work here. That's just my guess...
JPB

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2012 07:08 pm
@ossobuco,
I endorsed going in, removing the Taliban, and searching out Bin Laden. As a semi-hawk, I don't see what's left to accomplish and why we're still there beyond culture modification and that's never going to happen.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2012 07:15 pm
@JPB,
That's interesting and may be true. I just about never think in economic terms first, but even I blink in recognition.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2012 07:15 pm
Afghanistan is a lose-lose affliction; staying will not improve their country. Look at Iraq; they still have suicide bombers, and they're killing gays and lesbians. All as the gift of the US government's "democracy" where we spent American lives and billions of dollars.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2012 07:19 pm
@JPB,
I'm no Taliban fan, strong opposite naturally, but we are on their soil. Which makes them stronger by our invasive presence.
roger

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2012 07:21 pm
@JPB,
Agree. It's not going to happen - ever. It's time to go.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2012 07:24 pm
@JPB,
Far-be-it for me to defend the indefensible, explain the unexplainable or justify the unjustifiable! Perhaps we US military are there to spy and gather intelligence on the area and the Taliban? For our purposes and/or other countries?

But ..have mercy ... can there be a worse scenario than this assassination murderous rampage nutcase? Leave that area and then make it worse than can be imagined? FARK!
ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2012 07:34 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I didn't want us there in the first place, even chasing Bin Laden. I think every minute of all these wars brings us more hate, a stackup of hate. I think defense spending should be for defense, not aggression.

This doesn't mean that I don't understand soldiers and support them, and I somewhat understand generals and their tactics. I just have a different view of what is useful for us to do (edit, as a country)

Eh, and that would cut some spending for the military industrial complex, nods to Ike. Think of the job loss.
sozobe

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2012 07:43 pm
@rosborne979,
The problem has been how to get out.

Just plain leaving all at once can create big problems, for us and for them.

We've been moving along the path of getting out, hopefully we're close enough that this can be the last straw.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2012 07:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
I was ok with Osama being done and said something like that on whatever thread. That's the book reader in me. I'm anti assassination at the same I can see it is the apparent simple option - whether or not that assassination part was planned so.

It's a horrid precedent, inglorious.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2012 08:50 pm
@ossobuco,
I don't approve assasination as a matter of course. But, in war, we kill our enemies. If not, why, then, we ought to quit fighting and seek a better way.