Can we just !/$$!?$?! leave now?

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 04:28 pm
@RABEL222,
Spot on, again! The US only tries to use the UN for its own use, and when it fails, goes its own way - like GW Bush did to start his war in Iraq.
thack45

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 04:49 pm
@RABEL222,
It's true the bumper sticker came about during the w bush administration. But the way I see it... I can get plenty more mileage outa' that bad boy.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 04:54 pm
@ossobuco,
To be clear on my view, if we stay it is not to stabilize the country that we know almost nothing about despite all this time. It is to stabilize our investments that were made for ourselves.
None of the people in charge seem to get that we are in Afghan tribal spaces.
It's all tactics on a land not ours.

(And no, I don't just like the Taliban.)
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 05:04 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

The US only tries to use the UN for its own use
I'll admit I'm not sure what the purpose of the UN really is... but if a nation were going to "use" the UN, what exactly would the nation use it for?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 05:08 pm
@ehBeth,
So do I . Please don't pool all in the u.s. into one pond.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 05:24 pm
@thack45,
Learn about the UN charter. It provides the Purposes and Goals.
Here's part of it.
Quote:
To maintain international peace and security, and to that end: to take effective collective measures for the prevention and removal of threats to the peace, and for the suppression of acts of aggression or other breaches of the peace, and to bring about by peaceful means, and in conformity with the principles of justice and international law, adjustment or settlement of international disputes or situations which might lead to a breach of the peace;
To develop friendly relations among nations based on respect for the principle of equal rights and self-determination of peoples, and to take other appropriate measures to strengthen universal peace;
To achieve international co-operation in solving international problems of an economic, social, cultural, or humanitarian character, and in promoting and encouraging respect for human rights and for fundamental freedoms for all without distinction as to race, sex, language, or religion; and
To be a centre for harmonizing the actions of nations in the attainment of these common ends.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 05:32 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
We invaded Afghansitan b/c the sons-of-bitches who ran the place were defending terrorists who attacked us; when we asked them to turn the guys over for justice, they very famously and loudly told us to **** off. So we went in and destroyed their asses, an act which we had the perfect right to do, and if some other country attacks us in the same fashion, we'll do it again. The only problem is that we didn't leave immediately afterward, but Bush had some sort of Crusade in his mind (the original plan was to take out Pakistan, Iran and Syria as well, and if things hadn't gone south in Iraq, they would have tried to do it). Don't you forget that their leadership invited us to attack them through both their actions and their words.

Bin Laden escaped to Pakistan after 9/11 - even the NYTimes reported about it then. Bush still invaded Afghanistan hoping to emerge as the big warrior. Remember his saying that "we'll go in there and out in 3 months".
Nothing, absolutely nothing justified the war on Afghanistan or Iraq for that matter, since we later found out that the weapon of mass destruction were a hoax. Oh well, then we got rid of Saddam Hussein, that should justify invading Iraq, shouldn't it?

You know, as a German I fully acknowledge the utter atrocities of WWII,
and Germany is making certain that history never repeats itself. However, in comparison, the United States a) never acknowledges its wrongdoings
b) never learns from mistakes and c) disregards any and every international laws that were set at the Geneva convention and/or Den Hague. Whatever the U.S. administration does, it's justified somehow by someone and all is well. Read "Confessions of an economic Hitman" - very insightful.
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 05:35 pm
@ossobuco,
Of course we have our own veterans, osso - yet the U.S. rarely takes care of them, so there is no money chase with them. Heck, the U.S. couldn't care less if American soldiers were subjected to Agent Orange or not, they denied any chemical warfare in the Golf war, yet thousands of soldiers came back with awful symptoms of physical and emotional distress. Do you really think the government will treat Afghan/Iraqi soldiers different?

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 05:45 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

So you think the U.N., Russia, china and the smaller countries are taking the place of the U.S. military? How do you explain Seria. And dont think that I am attacking you because I wish the U.N. was a viable power but it has too many countries like the U.S. who look only after themselves. There isent a big country who gives a **** about its average citizen in the world. Only the 1% count.

Russia and China have surpassed the U.S. already and I would never want to find out by how much, Rabel222. The UN is a joke, it's comprised of mainly 3rd world countries seeking financial aid and military equipment the United States so readily supplies - military equipment that is.

Syria? How much time do you have? Syria was from 1973 until 2011 under
a state of emergency which translates to a suspension of all constitutional protection. Syria is officially a republic - unofficially an authoritarian regime. It was only a matter of time when Syrians started to revolt against it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 05:45 pm
@CalamityJane,
Germany went further than what you describe. They paid reparations, and have built holocaust museums and memorials in some of the major cities in Germany. I was in Berlin last November, and saw the Holocaust Memorial.
The people of Germany have actively worked towards seeking forgiveness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial_to_the_Murdered_Jews_of_Europe

My picture.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/imposter222/2011NOVPolandElbeCruise2011-11-12045.jpg
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 05:48 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I also went to the Holocaust museum in Berlin last July, cicerone.

I just wanted to make a point, that Germany has acknowledged its atrocities,
the United States not.

I have yet to hear that Hiroshima and Nagasaki were "not a necessity"....
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 05:52 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
We invaded Afghansitan b/c the sons-of-bitches who ran the place were defending terrorists who attacked us; when we asked them to turn the guys over for justice, they very famously and loudly told us to **** off. So we went in and destroyed their asses, an act which we had the perfect right to do, and if some other country attacks us in the same fashion, we'll do it again. The only problem is that we didn't leave immediately afterward, but Bush had some sort of Crusade in his mind (the original plan was to take out Pakistan, Iran and Syria as well, and if things hadn't gone south in Iraq, they would have tried to do it). Don't you forget that their leadership invited us to attack them through both their actions and their words.

Bin Laden escaped to Pakistan after 9/11 - even the NYTimes reported about it then. Bush still invaded Afghanistan hoping to emerge as the big warrior. Remember his saying that "we'll go in there and out in 3 months".

To put it simply: Bullshit. You don't know what you are talking about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tora_Bora

http://news.antiwar.com/2011/04/26/leaked-docs-osama-didnt-flee-to-pakistan-after-all/

We had no solid information as to where he had gone after Tora Bora. I could care less what the NYT reported. Not only that, but the battle of Tora Bora took place from December 12-15, 2001 - over two months after the date of our invasion.

I'll say it again - you are repeating falsehoods as if you have studied this issue when it's clear you haven't. Can you come back with even an iota of proof to support your contention? Or are you too busy accusing people of being 'bullies' to do so?

Quote:
Nothing, absolutely nothing justified the war on Afghanistan or Iraq for that matter, since we later found out that the weapon of mass destruction were a hoax. Oh well, then we got rid of Saddam Hussein, that should justify invading Iraq, shouldn't it?

I agree with you about Iraq. There was no justification for that war. But to say the same about Afghanistan is foolish, extremely so. What there was - and is - no justification for is the decade-long occupation, the very thing YOU want to continue. But with no goals and no means of achieving them, you just want us to 'fix things.' That's cheerleading, a hope, not a plan.

Quote:
You know, as a German I fully acknowledge the utter atrocities of WWII, and Germany is making certain that history never repeats itself. However, in comparison, the United States a) never acknowledges its wrongdoings

Obama has acknowledged several mistakes that we've made.

Quote:
b) never learns from mistakes and

I also don't believe this is anything more than an assertion.

Quote:
c) disregards any and every international laws that were set at the Geneva convention and/or Den Hague.

This is also absolute bullshit. You don't seem to realize that the US could - at any moment we chose - absolutely and completely destroy any country on the planet. We could destroy your country. We have the power to kill every one of your citizens with our military and nuclear arsenal. We have the ability to do that to any country on the planet. I'm not saying this as a threat, or as some sort of cowboy-ism on my part- these are plain facts. When you have over 3,000 nuclear weapons and the largest and most modern military in the world, these are your capabilities.

The truth is that we could have killed every single person in Afghanistan and occupied the country as OUR territory if we had wanted to. But we didn't and wouldn't do something like that, not just because it's the wrong thing to do, but because we respect international laws that say things like that just shouldn't be done anymore. Why wouldn't we respect them? If it wasn't for the US those laws never would have been written. Your country certainly wouldn't have done it - if we didn't force you to participate after subduing your ultimate aggression 70 years ago. That's really not all that long ago, you know that?

For any German to be making such statements about America, well. I don't really have to go any further, do I?

Quote:
Whatever the U.S. administration does, it's justified somehow by someone and all is well. Read "Confessions of an economic Hitman" - very insightful.

This is another false assertion. Not everything we do is justified or justifiable, and all is not well. We have and will in the future do things that deserve to be condemned. Some of us in this country have been working hard for a long time to get our own leaders held to a higher standard. But you're too busy lumping everyone in the same pot, and calling us 'cowboy bullies' to realize that.

I will wait for you to detail exactly what the plan is to 'fix things' in Afghanistan. Maybe then I'll take your pronouncements that we shouldn't leave more seriously.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 05:52 pm
@CalamityJane,
We've gone over that road before on Nagasaki and Hiroshima. As an American citizen of Japanese ancestry, I agree with the decision Truman made to drop the 2 a-bombs in Japan. They had their own atrocities across the whole of Asia, and they attacked Hawaii without declaring war. Some of our family members on mine and my wife's side of the family served in the US military during WWII.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 05:54 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

I also went to the Holocaust museum in Berlin last July, cicerone.

I just wanted to make a point, that Germany has acknowledged its atrocities,
the United States not.

I have yet to hear that Hiroshima and Nagasaki were "not a necessity"....

That's because they WERE a necessity. The alternative was a land invasion of Japan. It would have resulted in ten times the casualties that the atomic bombs did. You do realize this, don't you?

A regrettable necessity. But, sometimes that's what happens when a country sneak-attacks you and then refuses to discuss any terms of surrender whatsoever, when it becomes clear that they are losing the ensuing conflict.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 05:55 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
You wrote,
Quote:
This is also absolute bullshit. You don't seem to realize that the US could - at any moment we chose - absolutely and completely destroy any country on the planet. We could destroy your country. We have the power to kill every one of your citizens with our military and nuclear arsenal. We have the ability to do that to any country on the planet. I'm not saying this as a threat, or as some sort of cowboy-ism on my part- these are plain facts. When you have over 3,000 nuclear weapons and the largest and most modern military in the world, these are your capabilities.

Even back in the late fifties when I served with SAC, USAF, we had enough nukes to destroy this planet - and Russia didn't have a prayer if they started anything. We had too many aircrafts around the world with nukes on them that Russia could never stop. That was our strategy, and Russia knew it.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 06:05 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

You know, as a German I fully acknowledge the utter atrocities of WWII,
and Germany is making certain that history never repeats itself. However, in comparison, the United States a) never acknowledges its wrongdoings
b) never learns from mistakes and c) disregards any and every international laws that were set at the Geneva convention and/or Den Hague. Whatever the U.S. administration does, it's justified somehow by someone and all is well. Read "Confessions of an economic Hitman" - very insightful.

Well, when the U.S. decides to vanquish its enemies and then use them as slave labor, disenfranchise its own citizens and destroy the evidence in crematoriums, and plan to repopulate a sizable portion of a continent with "ethnic Americans" to oversee plantations worked by slave labor, then it might make sense to compare Germany and the U.S.

In the meantime, let's just say, admitting its atrocities, paying off Jews with blood money as reparations for lost relatives, yet not really many, in my opinion, feeling REMORSE for losing a community that prided itself in its Germanicness, makes me think there is a disengenuousness in Germany's spit-shined image it now wants to portray.

In my opinion, if the truth be known, what prevents war in Europe today, is not a new attitude, but the realization that in a nuclear age, European countries better play nice, or there won't be much of a Europe to fight over.

By the way, German-Americans are the largest white ethnic group in the U.S. and many families did come after the revolution of 1848. They were liberal families, and then Germany swung to the right under Bismarck, the Kaiser, and then Adolph. So, your contribution to the U.S., whatever it is, does not likely compare to the contribution of millions of German-Americans that are very American. I hope you can overcome your previous identity as a European/German, since this country has been very good to Germans. And, you do now, the U.S. did not vanquish its prior enemy. It made it an ally. Would Germany have done that under the Nazis?
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 06:11 pm
@Foofie,
Oh, did anyone say "holocaust"? and there is Foofie with his antics.
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 06:19 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
OMG, you can read, can't you?

Even your sited articles say "....the US believed that Bin Laden was hiding in the mountains of Tora Bora.

It seems you read the American news like a bible and believe everything you're told. You are certainly not alone in this though, the US is in general narrow minded and self absorbed.
--

Oh yes, let's be proud of our nuclear weapons and if needed we can blow away the entire world, we just cannot win any war - not Vietnam, not Cambodia, not Afghanistan, not Iraq and so forth. It doesn't stop us though, right?

Gawd forbid if it ever came to a war with Russia or China, I'd rather sit in their countries than the United States.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 06:20 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Oh, did anyone say "holocaust"? and there is Foofie with his antics.

I almost never agree with Foofie, but he/she has you dead to rights on this one.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 06:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Germany went further than what you describe. They paid reparations, and have built holocaust museums and memorials in some of the major cities in Germany. I was in Berlin last November, and saw the Holocaust Memorial.
The people of Germany have actively worked towards seeking forgiveness.

I am so sorry to find your analysis quite sterile. I do not believe many Germans have actual "remorse" for the loss of their pre-WWI German-Jewish community, that many felt they were competing with, and the German-Jews were owning/controlling too many businesses/professions. Now that the Jews in Germany are mostly ex-Soviet citizens, it is like the child's party game of musical chairs that can start over again, and Gentile Germans can compete with a Jewish community that is new to the country.

So, if native Germans are seeking forgiveness, I do not think all Jews are so stupid to think it is simple to say, "forgiven." Entire families were lost due to nothing more than the demented belief that Germans had a birthright to rule the world, and hunt down those that were deemed inferior. So, please do not think all American Jews will visit Germany, or buy a Volkswagen.

By the way, there are some American Jews that do not even care to socialize with Jews of German descent, since they sometimes have a character that smacks of German superiority. I suspect that many Russians aren't so thrilled with native Germans either. Let's add the British to that list also.

So, let's not make Germany's new hoped for image based on whether or not Jews en masse have a shortened memory. Jews are just a drop in the bucket of humanity.

0 Replies