How old were you when you had your 1st boyfriend/girlfriend?

Rockhead

Thu 8 Dec, 2011 06:47 pm
@GracieGirl,
never is a really really long time, gracie...
0 Replies

GracieGirl

Thu 8 Dec, 2011 06:47 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

GracieGirl wrote:
We kept talking/arguing and he had some stupid answer for everything I said so I just got up and went to my room and slammed my door and he got mad and he was like, if I keep it up I'll be grounded for 3 weeks instead of 2 and I was soo mad but I just let it go. I'm not talking to him again at all until he gives me back my laptop and cell phone and I'm still gonna date Collin.
It's just not fair.

Ugh. I'm sorry you have to go through that. But it's good that you stand up to him rather than lying, and it's good for you that you started your standing up in such a mature way. (The door will recover from your slamming it.) Not sure about the silent treatment, but you're in a better position than I to tell if it will work.

Thanks Thomas! Smile

My dad works and I'm in school so I barely see him on weekdays. I don't think he's noticed the silence treatment. Sad
0 Replies

sozobe

Thu 8 Dec, 2011 06:50 pm
@GracieGirl,
Hi Gracie,

I get your side of it, I do. I'd probably have advice for your dad if he was here -- but he's not. So I'm giving you advice on what you can do to help resolve the situation.

I completely understand that having a boyfriend is different from just being friends -- that period of first falling in love is magical, and sets off all kinds of endorphins, one of life's great joys. It's a perfectly legal high. Smile

I'll see if I can make my point a little clearer:

It sounds like your dad thinks he knows you but this dating thing is throwing him for a loop. A big part of the problem is that dating does not compute for him. The Gracie he knows would not be dating.

But the Gracie in front of him is dating.

That makes him worried about how different you are from who he thinks you are, and how much he doesn't know about you. There are things that are obvious to you that aren't obvious to him. He's not with you 24/7 and doesn't have access to your thoughts.

So that's where talking about kissing comes in. He thinks you wouldn't date, and wouldn't kiss, and wouldn't have sex with a boy... but obviously at least some of that is not true, and he's confused now about how much of it is not true.

And he doesn't like that confusion. (And you don't like how he acts when he's confused.)

I get that you're in a really difficult position re: explaining this to him, though. It's not a conversation any girl wants to have with her dad, pretty much.

Now, completely other subject, also uncomfortable:

There's something called "hot states," which is an actual physical and brain transformation that can happen (with ANYONE, not just a teenaged thing). You predict you'll act one way when you're in a cold state (rational, calm), but then when you're actually in a hot state, things change completely. That can be adrenaline, or arousal, or fear, lots of things. It's definitely not just about sex.

BUT... hormonal teenagers with the best of intentions DO get overcome by hot states. And regret it in the morning. Happens all the time.

So protestations are going to have limited effects on your dad, probably, and I'd guess he will have more interest in making sure that there is not a legitimate opportunity for that to happen.

My husband has said several times something along the lines of "I don't trust teenaged boys because I was one."
sozobe

Thu 8 Dec, 2011 07:10 pm
@sozobe,
Oof I forgot to make the most important point -- it's actually already there but I wanted to spell it out more:

Your dad knew you weren't telling the truth when you painted a chaste picture of what being Collin's girlfriend meant. Since you left out some things (kissing!), and he could tell (or suspected as much), that means he has a harder time trusting you.
Ticomaya

Thu 8 Dec, 2011 07:27 pm
@GracieGirl,
GracieGirl wrote:
But still Ticomaya. It has to suck being the only kid in your class without a cellphone.

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

Quote:
What if he goes riding on his bike alone and he falls and hurts himself really bad. How could he call for help?

What makes you think I let him ride his bike alone??

Quote:
When are you gonna let him have one? Like, at what age?

At what age can he go out and get a job to buy his phone?
Lustig Andrei

Thu 8 Dec, 2011 07:33 pm
@Ticomaya,
Geez, Tico, do you ever wonder how in the world we managed to actually grow up without cell-phones? They were non-existent. In my neighborhood there were actually people who didn't even have land-line phones. Important calls you'd make from the pay-phone in the concvenience store on the corner. How the hell did we survive?
Thomas

Thu 8 Dec, 2011 08:26 pm
@GracieGirl,
GracieGirl wrote:
20 when you had your first girlfriend/boyfriend? Why Thomas? Confused

Because I'm obese, selective, and comfortable on my own. By the rules of the human mating game, that pretty much means "three strikes and you're out".

Back to you though. In all due respect, I think you're being naive about the "he doesn't get it" part. In an earlier incarnation of your profile, you said that your father is a prosecutor. If that was true---and I don't see why it wouldn't have been---he's a pro at thwarting what you were trying to do with him about kissing. If he really sniffs out bullshit for a living, what do you think the odds were that you could mislead him about kissing? I think you're missing a big part of the picture here. I missed it at first, too. But now that Sozobe raised it, I urge you to open your eyes to it.

I suspect your best shot is to own up to what you're really doing and stand up for it to your dad. Come to think of it, didn't you also say in your earlier days here that your dad has a (male) partner? If you did and he is indeed bisexual, he almost certainly took flak in his life for loving whom he loved and kissing whom he kissed. Your willingness to take a stand has a good chance of earning his respect, whereas misleading him about your love life would not. I submit this for your consideration, but stop short of recommending it because I don't know your father.
Ticomaya

Thu 8 Dec, 2011 09:07 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
Geez, Tico, do you ever wonder how in the world we managed to actually grow up without cell-phones? They were non-existent. In my neighborhood there were actually people who didn't even have land-line phones. Important calls you'd make from the pay-phone in the concvenience store on the corner. How the hell did we survive?

I have no idea!

Hmmm ... someone may need to explain to GG what a "pay-phone" is. Razz
0 Replies

firefly

Thu 8 Dec, 2011 10:20 pm
@GracieGirl,
Quote:
Firefly, you already know how it'll be different than just being friends. When we're dating we hang out and we can go out on dates alone and we could like hang out at each others houses and talk and text all the time and kiss and stuff.

I understand all that, Gracie, and I can also understand why your dad objects to your being involved in that sort of relationship just yet. For one thing, that he has made clear to you, he thinks the age difference between you and Collin is too great--he doesn't want you hanging out alone and "kissing and stuff" with a 15 year old boy. He knows what 15 year old boys are like, he was one, and I think that, on that score, you have to give him credit for having more experience and wisdom than you do. He's not being "stupid" he's being a lot more realistic than you are.
A two year age difference, at your time of life, is a big difference in terms of development, and Collin is at a different stage in his maturity than you are in your maturity--and that's not to mean you're a baby or immature in any way, it just means that you and a 15 year old boy may not be at the same place in your lives. If you don't think that two years is a big deal, think back to when you were 11. Haven't you changed in the last two years? Can't you handle things, and think about things, differently than you did two different years ago? And, don't you think that two years from now, when you're 15, that you'll probably be feeling a little differently and thinking a little differently than you are now? You're well aware of the changes in your body that go on as you mature, but your brain is developing and maturing too, and two years from now that brain will be functioning a little differently too in how it influences your emotions and perspective on things. Some things take time, growing up is one of those things. I know that's the sort of thing you hate to hear, but I think your dad is just trying to keep you from swimming beyond your depth, like a good lifeguard on the beach, and people with good sense don't completely ignore the lifeguard, even if they consider themselves good swimmers.

Apart from age differences, you do seem in a rush, not to date, but to jump into "a relationship", to have "a boyfriend" with all that that implies in terms of possessiveness, jealousies, conflicts, and what two people want from each other. Relationships are not always smooth sailing (what's with me and all of these ocean analogies Laughing), and you must know that already, and they aren't things to just suddenly jump into. One advantage of dating, before it becomes "a relationship" is that it's more casual, less emotional, less important in terms of the place it occupies in your life. You seem to have missed a few steps along the way and are trying to jump feet first into "a relationship" and with someone who has two more years of social experience than you do.

For someone who seems so independent in other ways, I find it interesting you are so anxious to be part of "a couple". Do you understand what that's about? Why are you so fast to want to focus on just one boy and give him a central place in your life? This isn't just about possible sexual entanglements, it's also about emotions, and getting involved emotionally in ways that can unbalance your life in other respects--your life with your other friends, your involvement with school, your other interests--the more emotional space Collin, or any other boy, takes up in your life right now, the more other things he crowds out. And, while "kissing and stuff" is certainly nice, heartbreak and disappointment isn't, and you can't always pick and choose what you will get out of a relationship.

Your current battle with your dad reminds me of a conflict I had with my mom when I was 15 going on 16 about "THE DRESS". I saw this dress I wanted for my sweet 16 party and I wanted THAT DRESS. It was the height of fashion at the time, was skin tight and very sexy. I thought it was fantastic and I loved the way I looked in it. Naturally, my mother said, "It's much too old for you, it's not appropriate for someone your age, you can't have it." Well, those are fighting words, aren't they, Gracie? I screamed back, "You don't want me to grow up! Stop treating me like a baby! I think the dress looks great on me and you are just plain mean!"
The battle over that dress went on for at least two weeks, with all the door slamming, silent treatment, and dirty looks that are going on in your house. I felt like I hated my mother, and I let her know it. Like you, I was fighting for my autonomy and my independence, and it was a very important issue for me. I definitely felt grown-up enough for that dress. I lost the battle, I never got THE DRESS. My mother wisely ignored much of my obnoxious behavior those two weeks and then just offered to take me shopping so we could find a dress we'd both agree on. I sulked, but we went, and I settled for another dress. It's decades and decades and decades later, Gracie, but I still remember the fight over THAT DRESS, and I still remember what the dress looked like. In retrospective, however, I know that my mother was right. I actually didn't look great in that dress, I just thought I did--the image I saw of me in the dressing room mirror wasn't how I looked to other people in the dress. I really wasn't mature enough to carry that dress off, and it sent out an inappropriate and inaccurate image of who I was. My mother's judgment was better than mine, but my emotions prevented me from seeing it that way at the time. She could have gotten me the dress, just to shut me up, or make me happy, but, in retrospect, I'm really glad she didn't do that. She stuck to her guns, as a parent, and I respect her more for doing that. But I realized that only in hindsight.

The difference between my battle with my mom, and your current battle with your dad, is that your conflict with him involves issues of trust--particularly his ability to trust you--and that makes it much more serious than arguing over a dress. He learned of your "relationship" by reading about it--it wasn't something you talked with him about, or shared with him beforehand. So you, yes you, are the one who set off all the alarm bells in his head about what you were possibly doing behind his back. You sent him signals that maybe he can't trust you, and you're still sending those signals. So he reacted in a way to demonstrate his authority, to show you he's boss--he takes away your electronic toys, grounds you, etc. If he can't trust you, he's going to try to control you more. And you're forcing him to do that. If you want to be seen as more grown-up, and get treated in a mature way, then don't force him to treat you like a child. Let him know he can trust you, and don't do anything behind his back. Damaging his ability to trust you can have long-term unpleasant consequences for you, and your relationship with your father, and that's nothing to take lightly.

I think you are picking the wrong time to have this sort of battle with your father--just because you feel ready "to date" doesn't mean you are really ready to jump into "a relationship" with a 15 year old boy, and your dad really isn't being "stupid" about that. Boys will come and go from your life, but you'll always need and want your father in it, and you both need to trust each other, and I'm not just being corny about that. You need to trust that he does have your best interests at heart, even when he seems unreasonable, and he needs to trust that you won't deliberately defy him when he puts his foot down about something.
The business with Collin got off to a bad start because of how your dad found out about it, and, because of that, it's probably not going to get better in your father's mind. If you want to re-gain your father's trust, forget about having "a relationship" with Collin for the time being. Don't go behind your dad's back, don't hang out with Collin, or phone him, or text him, or go out alone with him, or kiss him. And tell you're dad you're going to do that because you want him to be able to trust you. Losing one minor battle is much better than losing the war, or escalating an even bigger war. Your dad will let you date, and become involved in "relationships, just give him a little time. And, if he feels he can trust you right now, to go along with him on this issue, that time will probably come much sooner rather than later.

Just some food for thought.

Roberta

Fri 9 Dec, 2011 12:17 am
@firefly,
Gracie, I agree with everything firefly had to say.
Eva

Fri 9 Dec, 2011 12:30 am
@GracieGirl,
GracieGirl wrote:

Eva wrote:

GracieGirl wrote:

...I didn't know bosses and college people check your facebook and stuff. But if you don't want your Facebook public, You could just set it to private, right? My Facebook is super private (because of my dad) and my a2k Facebook is semiprivate.

Yes, employers and colleges DO check Facebook pages. Our school's college counselor keeps reminding students that they would be surprised how much of a FB page is public. Photos, for example. Many a "drunk with friends" photo on FB has kept someone from being accepted to a top college.

Look at what you have on your basic information, for example: "I'm too cool for school"..."Slackers 'R' Us"..."Sittin' on my @ss at Unemployed"... You probably posted that stuff thinking it was funny and would make your friends laugh, right? And it will. But it would present a very negative public image of you to someone who doesn't already know you.

Be sure you clean up your page before you start applying for jobs or colleges, okay? Wink

Haha! Ok, I see what you mean. But that's just my 'a2k facebook page'. I don't have any of that stuff on my real Facebook because my dad would flip out. Laughing
My future college professors and bosses won't see it. It's super private (you can't search me) and it doesn't even have my real name.

It probably is alittle 'inappropriate' huh? You gotta admit though, the 'sittin on my @ss at Unemployed' was really funny. LoL I'll delete that stuff if you think I should. I was just having a little fun. I thought they were funny and I didn't wanna put my real school info and stuff. Smile

Nah, you don't need to change it just for me. I meant just what I said...as soon as you start applying for summer jobs, you'll need to be a little more careful.
ehBeth

Fri 9 Dec, 2011 07:51 am
@GracieGirl,
GracieGirl wrote:

He's 15, He'll be 16 this February and I'll be 14 this May.

just wait til your dad figures out that Collin will be 16 when you're still 13

can you imagine a 13 year old boy you know dating a 10 year old girl?

weird eh
shewolfnm

Fri 9 Dec, 2011 08:30 am
i think there are a lot of positions being put on a teenage relationship that may not belong there.

No. this isnt going to be the 'once in a lifetime ' thing.
No, there is no measure of who has grown where and why... they are kids.

at 15 he wants to have sex with anything that moves.
at 13 she is beginning to realize she will and does too.

Kids will do what they wish with or without parents approval and to assume that they would acclimate otherwise is silly .

Gracie, use a condom. No matter what. Do NOT get lost in the idea that sex = love. It doesnt.
Dont be ashamed of yourself. Its ok to feel like you want sex and its ok to feel like you are in the best love of your life. Just dont lose yourself in it.
Know that once the other stuff starts ( beyond kissing) it can end JUST as quickly. Boys DO only have one thing on their minds and its not their fault. Its just how humans are.
We girls have one thing on our minds.. love, and long relationships. THats all we think about. Thats what we fantasize about. marriage, love, relationships, bonding.. thats our thing.
Boys? Honey .. its sex. Im sorry.. but thats about 90% of a young mans brain. No insult intended... its just truth.

Later on in life that hormone calms down and they can get away from that drive they have.. but right now, do not be fooled or misguided thinking that there is anything else as important or as strong of a drive as sex is.

Just like for you..the strongest drive is a 'relationship' that is about love and bonding.

Your dad is worried that sex will take you to places you are not yet mature enough to handle. Not that I am saying you are 'immature'.. that is just how we develop. Most people can not rationalize sex on a strong enough level until about the early 20's. Its just how it is. Sort of like you wont see an 8 year old girl with boobs... we dont start to get them until our teens. Its something that we can not HELP, it just happens.

Your dad knows this and he is worried that you will get emotionally scared, or manipulated into something you may not want to do, or think you have to do because you are in 'love'. Thats what happens to teenagers dear. Smile nothing we can do about it.
He wants to tell you no to it all knowing that.. in just a little while, you WILL be able to navigate through emotions and behaviors and actually do things that you enjoy instead of being blinded by the short sighted extreme emotions of a teenager.

but.. again.. you wont understand that until later and in my opinion only... you should just have all of the tools you need to stay safe.
Condoms. Do NOT have sex with out it. Period. And you can have sex often.. thats ok. Be ready to deal with the ultimate break up and possible gossip after. THATS just how kids are.
Use a condom.
Did i say that? condom? Smile OH YEAH! i did.
oral sex CAN give you infections. I would advise against it.. but.. again, no one can make you do anything they think you shouldnt.

Dont . lie.
If you are ever caught by your dad... DONT lie. just...trust me on that one..
GracieGirl

Fri 9 Dec, 2011 10:10 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Hi Gracie,

I get your side of it, I do. I'd probably have advice for your dad if he was here -- but he's not. So I'm giving you advice on what you can do to help resolve the situation.

I completely understand that having a boyfriend is different from just being friends -- that period of first falling in love is magical, and sets off all kinds of endorphins, one of life's great joys. It's a perfectly legal high. Smile

I'll see if I can make my point a little clearer:

It sounds like your dad thinks he knows you but this dating thing is throwing him for a loop. A big part of the problem is that dating does not compute for him. The Gracie he knows would not be dating.

But the Gracie in front of him is dating.

That makes him worried about how different you are from who he thinks you are, and how much he doesn't know about you. There are things that are obvious to you that aren't obvious to him. He's not with you 24/7 and doesn't have access to your thoughts.

So that's where talking about kissing comes in. He thinks you wouldn't date, and wouldn't kiss, and wouldn't have sex with a boy... but obviously at least some of that is not true, and he's confused now about how much of it is not true.

And he doesn't like that confusion. (And you don't like how he acts when he's confused.)

I get that you're in a really difficult position re: explaining this to him, though. It's not a conversation any girl wants to have with her dad, pretty much.

Now, completely other subject, also uncomfortable:

There's something called "hot states," which is an actual physical and brain transformation that can happen (with ANYONE, not just a teenaged thing). You predict you'll act one way when you're in a cold state (rational, calm), but then when you're actually in a hot state, things change completely. That can be adrenaline, or arousal, or fear, lots of things. It's definitely not just about sex.

BUT... hormonal teenagers with the best of intentions DO get overcome by hot states. And regret it in the morning. Happens all the time.

So protestations are going to have limited effects on your dad, probably, and I'd guess he will have more interest in making sure that there is not a legitimate opportunity for that to happen.

My husband has said several times something along the lines of "I don't trust teenaged boys because I was one."

Thanks sozobe, for understanding and helping. Smile

I get everything your saying. If I would've told him about the kissing he would've trusted me more, right. Now he doesn't know what's going on with me. I get it, so how do I fix it?

And, I get what your saying about 'hot states' but I don't have that. I was being honest with you before, I dont wanna have sex and I'm not gonna. So, that's not gonna happen to me.
GracieGirl

Fri 9 Dec, 2011 10:18 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Oof I forgot to make the most important point -- it's actually already there but I wanted to spell it out more:

Your dad knew you weren't telling the truth when you painted a chaste picture of what being Collin's girlfriend meant. Since you left out some things (kissing!), and he could tell (or suspected as much), that means he has a harder time trusting you.

I know. I should've told him about kissing too but I think if I did, everything would still be the same or worse. I'd still be grounded, probably for longer, he still wouldnt trust me and he'd still be mad.

And that's another thing I don't get sozobe. I tell my dad everything. We talk about all kinds of stuff except for sex and girl stuff. So how could me not telling him ONE thing make him not trust me? It's not like he asked me if I was kissing Collin. I just didn't mention it, so it wasn't really a lie.
GracieGirl

Fri 9 Dec, 2011 10:23 am
@Ticomaya,
LoL. Ok, you win. I've got no further arguments. Smile

I still think it's not fair though.
Thomas

Fri 9 Dec, 2011 10:35 am
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:
Condoms. Do NOT have sex with out it. Period. And you can have sex often.. thats ok. Be ready to deal with the ultimate break up and possible gossip after. THATS just how kids are.
Use a condom.
Did i say that? condom? Smile OH YEAH! i did.
oral sex CAN give you infections. I would advise against it.. but.. again, no one can make you do anything they think you shouldnt.

Dont . lie.
If you are ever caught by your dad... DONT lie. just...trust me on that one..

I'll second that.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 9 Dec, 2011 10:44 am
@GracieGirl,
GracieGirl wrote:

I still think it's not fair though.

Whoever told you life was fair was lying to you.
0 Replies

BillRM

Fri 9 Dec, 2011 11:14 am
I had this "13 years old" block so I just so saw this thread now and once more I am amazed that so many of you had no problem with talking and sharing your value systems and history concerning sex and relationships with someone else 13 years old daughter.

I wonder how many parents would be happy with the idea of having a group of strange adults having such conversations with their children and not even knowing about those conversations occurring.
firefly

Fri 9 Dec, 2011 11:19 am
@GracieGirl,
Quote:
I dont wanna have sex and I'm not gonna. So, that's not gonna happen to me.

Famous last words.

I think that California has the highest teen pregnancy rate in the country.