How old were you when you had your 1st boyfriend/girlfriend?

firefly

Sun 11 Dec, 2011 01:05 pm
@CalamityJane,
I agree with you.
0 Replies

Thomas

Sun 11 Dec, 2011 01:05 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
No, Thomas, the law applies to to the male

Please give me a link to where the law says that. Your previous quote did not come with a link to any law.
0 Replies

Thomas

Sun 11 Dec, 2011 01:28 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
I already cited you the definition of sexual intercourse under California law--it does not define unlawful sexual intercourse in the way that you do--it distinguishes the one doing the penetrating from the other participant.

What you cited to me is the following unattributed quote. You could have been making it up for all I know.

Quote:
"Sexual intercourse" is the act of a penis penetrating
a vagina, no matter how slight.

You did not provide a link to any California statute that says this. Also, you cited no legal authority to support your interpretation that sexual intercourse is an act of the penetrator, and that the penetrated is not participating in it. For example, if a 35-year-old woman sleeps with a 15-year-old boy, are you seriously telling me she is not guilty of statutory rape? After all, the penis here would belong to 15-year-0ld, not the 35-year-old. Someone is ignorant of statutory rape laws here, but I don't think it's me. And you know wouldn't be above admitting a mistake; you've already seen me do it just a few pages ago. The question is, will you reciprocate?
Ragman

Sun 11 Dec, 2011 01:36 pm
@Thomas,
Is any of this designed to help GG? Or is it just arguing to debate with each other?

As near as I can tell, she wrote that she hasn't had sex and will not have sex - so why debate laws, etc? If that is your desire, why not create a separate thread? In the meanhile IMHO the young lady purpose is really not being served.
FOUND SOUL

Sun 11 Dec, 2011 01:38 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
When my own father was Gracie's age, he didn't just date in defiance of his father. He took a stick and beat his father up once. My grandfather, see, was in a habit of beating his wife and his daughter. Beating him up was the only way for my then-13-year-old father to stop him. And, mind you, that's not a one-off anecdote. In this thread alone, I know of at least one person whose father has treated him or her worse than my grandfather treated his family.

Now, I'm not saying that Gracie's father is in that category. But cases like my father's and that other a2ker's destroy your putative rule that parents automatically deserve the solidarity of other grownups. If you think it's irresponsible to reject this rule, so be it. I reject it anyway.

Thomas, sometimes our own beliefs come from what we went through or someone close to us, ie) your Father, and no-one can change that belief.

So your Father was 13, was beaten, turned to do the same, he had to, so his Father was no Authority figure in his eyes.. He did what he wanted, or to survive.

This is different, you are using your family situation, as a reason some other 13 year old should be difiant against her Father.

A 13 year old boy, could spend a couple of nights on the street homeless, and probably survive. I doubt a 13 year old girl would, her emotions, tears, to start with would bring un-wanted attention, she may even trust an older woman who says, I'll look after you, and find out she was wrong. She has no street skills, smarts, to survive.. A boy will fight, run.

Same with the possibility of being approached for sex, at some stage into the relationship.. He will be cool, calm.. And, she will not know her emotions, think of the l word probably say yes, as she is not worldly with distinguishing love from lust at least from a male's point of view..

And, I don't care what State it is, If Collin ends up having sex with Gracie, he has to be doing it knowingly, of her age, and possible consequences, I don't think we'd be so hard if she was 15, ...

Gracie, we are Adults, we are going to act like one, whether we, you like it or not, as an Adult, we don't want Gracie to get into trouble, along the way, if your Father says no, like I said, invite Collin for dinner ask for a compromise, that you "date" him at your home with your Dad present, ask your Dad to re-gain your trust, and offer this as a suggestion.

I also won't and can't tell you to defy your Father.. He is your Father, it is for now his rules, but you can win his trust in an honest way.

You also don't have to do what everyone does , alot of the time girls lie to try to look better than anyone else.... Half the time it's all half truths remember that...

I'm sorry you feel your friends here aren't there agreeing with you, but this is different Gracie ... you are 13, a minor it is irresponsible for anyone to say, yeah go for it girlfriend...

But you know they all still love you.
shewolfnm

Sun 11 Dec, 2011 01:49 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Is any of this designed to help GG? Or is it just arguing to debate with each other?

its just for debate.

most people have skated right over the things SHE has said in order to prove their point to someone else...

but..
thats a2k Smile
Thomas

Sun 11 Dec, 2011 01:49 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

. . . he asked, thus prolonging the debate . . .

Ragman wrote:
As near as I can tell, she wrote that she hasn't had sex and will not have sex - so why debate laws, etc?

For three reasons, only one of which I'm responsible for.
  1. Saved Soul brought the topic up, for reasons you need to ask him or her about. I agree with you that bringing it up was irrelevant because Gracie said she's only interested in kissing. Indeed, that's the first thing I said in my response to Saved Soul.

2. I responded because Saved Soul's description of the legal situation was grossly exaggerated, even though there was some truth to it. Since it was already out there, I thought I'd look up the actual law and report back.

3. Firefly responded to me because he thought I was mistaken.

How is all of this supposed to help Gracie? Well, the possibility of sex is "out there" even if she currently says she's not interested, and it makes sense to inform her what consequences sex could bring. Firefly and I disagree on what those consequences are. But he and I both care about describing them correctly, and think it makes sense for Gracie to know them.
Thomas

Sun 11 Dec, 2011 01:54 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
FOUND SOUL wrote:
This is different, you are using your family situation, as a reason some other 13 year old should be difiant against her Father.

No. Calamity Jane invoked a general rule: As grownups, we automatically should take the parent's side. I cited two specific counterexamples. Logically, even one counterexample to a general rule is enough to refute it.
Ragman

Sun 11 Dec, 2011 01:59 pm
@Thomas,
Firefly is a she, just for the record.

I'm bowing out of the debate as I have no desire to put the OP topic off-track any further.
Ragman

Sun 11 Dec, 2011 02:00 pm
@shewolfnm,
agreed
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Sun 11 Dec, 2011 02:02 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

I'm bowing out of the debate as I have no desire to put the OP topic off-track any further.

dont debate.
do what i do and address HER ( GG ) directly...
FOUND SOUL

Sun 11 Dec, 2011 02:03 pm
@Thomas,
I hope I was saved, but I know I am Found:)

I am a she, I think firefly is too

Ragman, if you look back a bit further, we suggested seeing and I also wrote that in my last post again, that maybe she try for compromise, with her Father, have Collin over for dinner to meet her Dad, maybe the dates be at home, in front of her Dad, so he can get to know Collin instead of only looking at "age" and off course it's a compromise and an Adult thing on Gracie's behalf to suggest to him.

Other than that she has no choice but to forget Collin and agree with her Father or see him behind her back.

They to me are her choices... If I was Gracie's Dad, I would recognise that and opt for getting to know Collin and allowing him to visit for dinner weekly do homework together, what ever under the same roof...

The "laws" I bought up were to make Gracie aware of possibilities of "future" problems, as well as what then, that may entail, especially from her Father and to take that into consideration....

I didn't expect a debate persay, however, it is always going to happen on a Forum....

I would love to offer something else but Gracie, my parents were the same and I was the same as you, said the same things as you too... It didn't change anything. I even ran away to my boyfriends Mother's home, she bought me back to talk to my Mother, pfttt told you that in an earlier post:) It didn't do me any good, made things worse... I am hoping your Dad is different, not old fashioned like my parents were and can see the merit in getting to know Collin and having him around .....

Thomas

Sun 11 Dec, 2011 02:03 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Thanks for the correction.
0 Replies

firefly

Sun 11 Dec, 2011 02:04 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:

No. Calamity Jane invoked a general rule: As grownups, we automatically should take the parent's side.

But, in the specific case we are discussing, Gracie's situation, her father doesn't want her to date at age 13, and he has made it clear to her that he doesn't want her to be involved with a 15 year old boy.

That is a legitimate assertion of his parental authority. And most posting here agree with that.

It is not helpful, or particularly responsible, for adults here to suggest otherwise to Gracie.
0 Replies

Thomas

Sun 11 Dec, 2011 02:05 pm
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:

Valid point. I'll try. (He said, addressing shewolf.)
firefly

Sun 11 Dec, 2011 02:07 pm
@shewolfnm,
Quote:

I have been addressing her directly.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Sun 11 Dec, 2011 02:07 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

shewolfnm wrote:

Valid point. I'll try.

ohh no Smile
Im not saying DONT debate.. Im telling ragman.. if he has something he wants to tell GG he doesnt have to jump in to the debate.. Smile
I didnt.
I just spoke directly to her.

The debating is interesting too... and frankly I agree with most of your points. Especially about the consideration of the assumption that all have to respect and follow the lead the adult in this given situation. I dont. I dont mean it to be rude to GG's dad.. but.. sorry, I just do not agree.
besides, if she is coming to this forum with questions like that, it would BE helpful for her to hear a few different view points. Thats how people learn to come to their own conclusions and make their own decisions..by being able to pull from a collected knowledge..

(addressing thomas )
>snort Smile
Thomas

Sun 11 Dec, 2011 02:16 pm
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:
besides, if she is coming to this forum with questions like that, it would BE helpful for her to hear a few different view points. Thats how people learn to come to their own conclusions and make their own decisions..by being able to pull from a collected knowledge..

Gracie, I do think it's good for you to consider conflicting viewpoints and make your own judgments. (I'd agree with shewolf, but I won't address her anymore. Smile )
Thomas

Sun 11 Dec, 2011 02:22 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
FOUND SOUL wrote:
I hope I was saved, but I know I am Found:)

I apologize for my mistake.
FOUND SOUL

Sun 11 Dec, 2011 02:25 pm
@Thomas,
Noooo, I laughed, that's fine:)

No apology needed,
0 Replies