How old were you when you had your 1st boyfriend/girlfriend?

shewolfnm

Sat 10 Dec, 2011 12:52 pm
@Eva,
Eva wrote:

But disagreement isn't the same as being against you. There are lots of people in this thread I disagree with frequently; it doesn't keep any of us from being friends.

precisely.

Im actually NOT on your dads side...

except that the only few things he has to go on right now are A) you lied, B) 15 and 13 IS a big difference in who has developed in what area, C) you fail to realize that anything can happen to you.. there for you ARE at risk.

like i said before.. dont take the idea that something WONT happen to you because you think that the something ( what ever it is) only happens to bad people, or lose girls or people who dont know something...
everything possible.. can happen to anyone living.. PERIOD. its not a reflection of bad or good, its a possibility of life.

You two CAN end up having sex. Why? Because you physically CAN do it. If he didnt have a penis.. then no. you couldnt Laughing But thats not true.

You CAN end up doing something you may not want to. Why? Because you physically CAN. And you need to understand that. REALLY need to understand.
It is NOT a bad thing to consider the possibility of having sex one day. Just knowing it could happen does not make you a slut, does not make you easy and DOES NOT mean you WILL.. but what it DOES do is remind you where and when to take precaution.
maturity is the ability to understand that anything can happen and having the intelligence to know where the proper precautions need to be AT ALL TIMES no matter what.

Thats all.
its that simple.

A mature teen has condoms even though they may not want sex because they KNOW it can happen. Doesnt make them bad.. just makes them smart.
A mature teen does not lie to their parents. They know their parents have the experience they dont and know it could be valuable information..even if they dont want it. they dont look down on their parents thinking they DONT understand... Nothing was different when your dad was a kid from now. Nothing. Does not mean you have to agree with him or think he is correct about everything, but maturity means you dont discard his ideas or dismiss how HE feels about something.

Maturity means that you are aware of your boyfriends body and you KNOW he can not help the sexual feelings he has.. ( and in a few years YOU TOO will be feeling the same things) .. so knowing what he is going through makes YOU more aware of the possibility.

condoms + truth - arrogance that says " it wont happen to me" = Mature teen

very very very simple concept.

and frankly.. you are pretty far along on that equation my dear. Smile
0 Replies

Thomas

Sat 10 Dec, 2011 02:22 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
firefly wrote:
You knew your father didn't want you to get involved with dating before Collin began showing an interest in you and kissed you. But, you didn't stop Collin when he tried to kiss you, did you-- [. . .]

Well, I don't think that's quite fair.

The whole "stopping him from kissing you" thing. She likes him, and has for a long time, and he asks her out (yay!) and then kisses her (yay!) -- these are things she's happy about, and I think that's fine.

Another thing that's not fair is the unspoken assumption---by firefly and others in this this thread---that her dad's "no" should be the end of the story. The reality is that teenagers have no moral duty to always make their parents happy. Sometimes there's a conflict between what they want and what their parents want. When such conflicts occur, sometimes it makes sense for the teenagers to stick to their guns and fight out the conflict, and sometimes it makes sense to avoid the conflict by obeying the parents. Indeed, picking the right fights is a key part of being a mature human of any age. It is unfair to suggest that Gracie is immature simply for wanting what she wants, and for putting up a fight in order to get it.
firefly

Sat 10 Dec, 2011 02:45 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
Well, I don't think that's quite fair.

The whole "stopping him from kissing you" thing. She likes him, and has for a long time, and he asks her out (yay!) and then kisses her (yay!) -- these are things she's happy about, and I think that's fine. I don't think that in and of itself it's anything she has to feel bad about. It also doesn't sound like it was something where impulse and emotion were really the main factors -- she wanted to kiss him before the kiss, she wanted to kiss him during the kiss, she wanted to kiss him after the kiss. Not something she regretted.

I think we may be viewing the sequence of events differently, possibly because we don't have that many details.
I'm not under the impression that Collin actually asked Gracie out, on a date, the way you or I might think of it--Do you want to get some pizza after school? Want to go to a movie with me? Want to go to the mall on Saturday?--nor does it sound like they have ever actually been on "a date" of that type.
It sounds more like Collin, who Gracie has been in classes with for years, suddenly started paying more attention to her in school, and they began talking more in school, and then he kissed her, in school.
That's my understanding of events from Gracie's description, and it was in that context that I made my remarks. I don't think Gracie should feel bad about kissing him, I'm wondering why she didn't stop and think a bit more after that kiss. Because she was so obviously flattered by this sort of attention from a boy, she rather immediately decided she was in a relationship, and he was now her boyfriend--knowing full well her father would not approve of this sort relationship.
She had time to stop and think at that point, and even talk with her father. That's where, I think, her impulse and emotion took over--she liked the idea of having a boyfriend, and of being like those 15 year old female classmates of hers, but, at some point, she also should have given some weight to what she was and wasn't allowed to do, according to her father. It was in that context that I also mentioned the issue of peer pressure and her caving into it--I don't think this is just about being attracted to a boy, it's also very much about wanting to "fit in" with those 15 year old girls by having a boyfriend--regardless of what her father thinks about that.
I think it's important for Gracie to realize how peer pressure might affect her decisions, because the particular peers in question are 2 years older than she is, they are at a different maturity point in their social experiences and social interactions than she is, and their parents may allow them to do things that her dad does not yet permit.
Suppose these kids start experimenting with drinking at parties, should Gracie try that too, just "to fit in"? Suppose they have later curfews than she does, should she defiantly stay out later, "just to fit in"?
Her dad has a right to limit her behavior based on what he feels is appropriate for a 13 year old, but Gracie is using 15 year old role models, and somewhat unreasonably expects her dad to treat her like a 15 year old, and further denies that those two years make any difference.
At 13, I do think Gracie has to stop and think about her father's restrictions more than she seems willing to do. I don't know that he is being at all unreasonable as the father of a 13 year old. Part of the problem is that Gracie doesn't want to see herself as only 13--she wants to be able to act just the way the 15 year olds do, regardless of whether she can handle situations as well they might be able to do, and regardless of what her father, or anyone here, says to the contrary.

I'm not sure, sozobe, that we differ that much on our thinking, we are just looking at this from different angles. We do agree that Gracie should find a way of communicating with her father and working things out with him. And that's probably going to involve some compromises on Gracie's part.

Someone should also advise Gracie that 15 year old boys can be very fickle and their attractions to particular girls can often come and go quite quickly. There's been a lot of talk in this thread about a 15 year old boy's raging hormones and sex drive. While that's true, it's also important to remember that a 13 year old girl, who is emotionally caught up in "a relationship", particularly her first "relationship", can feel quite rejected or heartbroken if that 15 year old boyfriend suddenly looks at another girl and dumps her for that other girl. That's tough to handle at any age, but, at 13, it can be even tougher, which is also why it might be better to wait a year or two before getting involved in that sort of relationship. Gracie's dad might be aware of that too.
sozobe

Sat 10 Dec, 2011 03:02 pm
@firefly,
The impression I have is that the timeline is something like this:

- For a while now, she's liked Collin (more than just this year)

- He asked her out. (When I said that I didn't mean "would you like to go to Penny's Pizza joint on Friday?", I meant the more colloquial version: verbally expressing interest in her in the form of a question, which she answered in the affirmative.)

Then after that, and not immediately, these things happened, though I'm not sure which first:

- They kissed.

- She changed her Facebook status to "in a relationship."

Then after that:

- Her dad saw the Facebook status, and didn't like it one bit.

I don't have the impression that her dad had any particular thoughts about Collin before the Facebook thing. I don't think he even knew he existed really. It seems like they (Gracie + her dad) hadn't really talked about expectations explicitly -- she knew her brother had been allowed to date at 13, and she didn't really think her dad would be cool with her dating, but I don't have the impression that there was a "do not associate with that Collin boy" sort of conversation before the kiss.

Anyway, Gracie can fill us in one way or another, if she'd like.
0 Replies

Thomas

Sat 10 Dec, 2011 03:12 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
I don't think Gracie should feel bad about kissing him, I'm wondering why she didn't stop and think a bit more after that kiss. Because she was so obviously flattered by this sort of attention from a boy, she rather immediately decided she was in a relationship, and he was now her boyfriend--knowing full well her father would not approve of this sort relationship.

If that's all you think, you have missed two important parts.
  1. You missed the part where Gracie said that many boys other than Colin had already hit on her, and that she'd said no to all of them. Evidently then, attention from a boy---as in just any old boy---wasn't what motivated her. Neither was peer pressure to get a boy friend, which you go on about at length later. By Gracie's account of the facts, this does not seem to be about the concept of having a boyfriend as such; it's about this particular boyfriend.

2. You missed the part where she said she had been interested in Colin for a long time already. So when the opportunity arose, she didn't waste time on any further thinking. This is only consequent. She didn't have to, because she had already been thinking for a substantial amount of time.
Moreover, it seems that the parts you are missing are not random. They systematically seem to favor your judgment that Gracie is impulsive, driven by emotions and peer pressure, and incapable of judging the situation on her own.
firefly

Sat 10 Dec, 2011 03:15 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
Another thing that's not fair is the unspoken assumption---by firefly and others in this this thread---that her dad's "no" should be the end of the story. The reality is that teenagers have no moral duty to always make their parents happy. Sometimes there's a conflict between what they want and what their parents want. When such conflicts occur, sometimes it makes sense for the teenagers to stick to their guns and fight out the conflict, and sometimes it makes sense to avoid the conflict by obeying the parents. Indeed, picking the right fights is a key part of being a mature human of any age. It is unfair to suggest that Gracie is immature simply for wanting what she wants, and for putting up a fight in order to get it.

I'm not suggesting that Gracie is immature for wanting something or putting up a fight to get it. I do think there are flaws in her thinking on this issue, reflective of the fact that she is only 13. She's not immature for 13, but she is only 13. And her age is an issue, for her father, in their current conflict. He's not saying she can never date or have a boyfriend, the conflict is over allowing it right now, and with a boy 2 years older than she is.

I do think Gracie is picking the wrong battle, at the wrong time, in this particular instance, and I said that in an earlier post.

This isn't just about what Gracie "wants" or her father "wants", it's also about his authority, as a parent, to set limits on what he will allow her to do at her age. And I don't think Gracie should just "obey" him meekly and submissively in all things, but I think she needs to have more respect for the validity of his position, rather than just dismiss him as she has done, and she should have some trust in his genuine concern for her welfare.

This may be the first fight Gracie and her father have had over a boy, but it's not likely to be the last. They'll clash heads over many different things in the coming years. And, where her father is adamant, as he appears to be now, he'll put his foot down, hard. Gracie can still go on fighting with him, and defying him, over this boy, if that's worth it to her, but she'll then have to live with the consequences of her father's increased punitive actions--no cell phone, no computer, being grounded, etc.--that choice is up to her.

0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Sat 10 Dec, 2011 03:17 pm
@Thomas,
Young love, don't we all remember it well?

I was 16 though with my first kiss, but definately 13 was a scary journey with so many infactuations, changes as well.

If I were Gracie? I prob wouldn't reply further..

But, I'd definately really read what everyone is saying , there is a lot of merit in the variety of answers.

I'm just thinking, changed facebook status, equalled knowledge of postings there, If I was your Dad, I'd be trying to understand your mindset at the moment and so maybe snoop more .... Sadly not even a diary is sacred as a child from a parent, mostly.

0 Replies

firefly

Sat 10 Dec, 2011 04:02 pm
@Thomas,
3+
Quote:
1.You missed the part where Gracie said that legions of boys other than Colin had already hit on her, and that she'd said no to all of them. Evidently then, attention from a boy---as in just any old boy---wasn't what motivated her. Neither was peer pressure to get a boy friend, which you go on about at length later. By Gracie's account of the facts, this does not seem to be about the concept of having a boyfriend as such; it's about this particular boyfriend.

You haven't paid attention to Gracie, Thomas. There were no "legions of boys" she said no to. This one was the first to ever ask her out.
Quote:
Collin is the only guy that's ever asked me out and I like him. I really like him and I have for a long time...
I mean, last year I was the nerdy, quiet kid that no one really hung out with and now the cutest,sweetest guy in school (I think ) wants to date me.

And Gracie clearly indicated this desire for a boyfriend, at least in part, was about "fitting in". Fitting in is all about peer pressure.
Quote:
I don't think I'm in a rush to be in a relationship, firefly. I think its more like, I'm excited and I'm happy to be in one. Do you know how much it sucks when all your friends are dating and all they talk about is their boyfriends and going out together and you're the only one, out of ALL of your friends who doesnt have a boyfriend? Now with Collin, I fit in more and it feels good to know that someone likes me and wants me to be their girlfriend.

(regarding her father, Gracie said)...
I told him that dating isnt a big deal and all I want is a boyfriend that I can hang out with and stuff. It sucks when all your friends are dating and you're the only one who can't.

This isn't "Romeo and Juliet", Thomas--peer pressure to "fit in", and the desire to have a boyfriend to "fit in", and being flattered by first time male attention, are very much a part of what's going on. And one problem is that, the peers Gracie is trying to fit in with, are all at least 2 years older than she is.
Quote:
So, even though I'm 13 I'm a sophomore and all the kids in my class are 15 and 16 but I hang out with my bestfriend Natalie and her friends and they're 16 and 17. So 'all' my friends are dating.

So, Gracie's peer role models, for what she expects her father to allow her to do, are anywhere between 15-17 years old.

Thomas, you seem to be the one who is missing a lot of what Gracie has said about this relationship and why she wants such a relationship. She may like Collin, but that's not the only thing that seems to be fueling this relationship.

And Gracie's dad isn't the father of just one 13 year old girl, he's the father of 2 of them, and that may affect some of the rules he might make--what he allows to one, he has to allow to both.
ossobuco

Sat 10 Dec, 2011 04:30 pm
This all brings back memories. I don't think I'm the only one the thread does this for..

When I was nine, on Valentine's Day, I got a card from a guy in class I'd hardly noticed, but when I noticed was tall and handsome, blond, smart seeming. I was new at the school.. well, since December. There were about fifty in our class. The card had a red satin heart at the center of the front page, sort of a pillowy thing. Nothing at all happened after that except maybe I walked around stunned looking..

Years later it was his short chubby funny cousin who asked me out to that movie, the dismal first date I reported earlier.
I swear I liked him too, brains have always nabbed me, but if I had dreams of anyone in class, it was for a couple of guys that never noticed me. Well, they did, but not in that way. That I know of. Those were thirteen year olds, the next year, age peers, one laconic, a running back on our small school team, sharp, very interesting. The other was large, another chub, #1 in class. Later went to Harvard Med.

There is no point at all to this post except to let Gracie know she'll remember these days long later. Enjoy yourself, Gracie, however you deal with it all.
0 Replies

Thomas

Sat 10 Dec, 2011 04:31 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
Thomas, you seem to be the one who is missing a lot of what Gracie has said about this relationship and why she wants such a relationship.

Quite likely. That's why it's good to have different views on the same case.

firefly, quoting Gracie, wrote:
Collin is the only guy that's ever asked me out and I like him. I really like him and I have for a long time...

Good catch! I had misread the "ever" in this passage as "never". Maybe I am biased towards supporting her in her resistence. Thanks for your correction.
Thomas

Sat 10 Dec, 2011 04:57 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
And Gracie's dad isn't the father of just one 13 year old girl, he's the father of 2 of them, and that may affect some of the rules he might make--what he allows to one, he has to allow to both.

He is also the father of a 16 year old son, whom he did allow to date at the age of 13. So the equality argument would seem to favor Gracie's side.
firefly

Sat 10 Dec, 2011 06:57 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:

He is also the father of a 16 year old son, whom he did allow to date at the age of 13. So the equality argument would seem to favor Gracie's side.

We don't know what sort of "dating" her father allowed her brother to do at age 13. I would imagine that the fathers of the 13 year old girls he might have dated didn't want their daughters to be alone, and unsupervised, with him most of the time either, or exclusively involved in a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship with him either. Gracie, on the other hand, wants to date the way the 15-17 year olds she knows are dating.

The issue isn't just one of "equality", it's also a matter of what you think a particular child is mature enough to handle and how much you trust their judgment, and how much doing something, like dating, might interfere with other aspects of their lives, like their same sex friendships, schoolwork, other activities, etc.

If her father allowed her twin sister to date, but told Gracie she couldn't date, without having substantial reason for making such a distinction, then she might have an "equality" argument. But most 13 year olds are hanging out in mixed gender groups, and not pairing off into couples who spend unsupervised time together, because that is what most parents tend to permit at that age. Gracie's dad is within the norm as far as that goes, so she's not being restricted any more radically than most 13 year old girls. But, when she compares herself to her 15 and 16 year old female classmates, she feels it's "unfair".

Gracie doesn't understand why, if she can sit in classes with kids 2 or more years older than she is, she can't be allowed to socialize or socially interact with the same degree of freedom they have, and on the same level they do. She's not acknowledging that there is a difference in social maturity between herself and a 15 or 16 year old girl. When those girls were 13, their fathers may well have sounded like her father.

0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Sat 10 Dec, 2011 06:59 pm
I was 39 when I had my first girlfriend. She was 87. It was beautiful and lasted until she died at the age of .... hell, I guess she was 87. Seemed longer than that.
Thomas

Sat 10 Dec, 2011 07:01 pm
Gracie, what kind of dating was your brother allowed to do at 13, and how is it different from the kind of dating you wish to do with Collin?
ossobuco

Sat 10 Dec, 2011 07:09 pm
@gustavratzenhofer,
You're bad again, so good to see you back.

Now then, re Gracie, what is your take, oh satan of the swamp?

I picture you as a certain Cellini sculpture, head dangling.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sat 10 Dec, 2011 07:10 pm
@Thomas,
I need to review. I thought the brother was younger.
Thomas

Sat 10 Dec, 2011 07:22 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
I need to review. I thought the brother was younger.

There is an older brother and a younger brother. A couple of posts ago, I linked to the post where she talks about the older brother.
firefly

Sat 10 Dec, 2011 09:09 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
Maybe I am biased towards supporting her in her resistence.

I think you are biased in that direction.

Do you really think most adolescents need support in their resistance? Laughing
That's the one thing they are usually able to do on their own, without any help from any of us? Laughing

I think by supporting Gracie's resistance you're encouraging her to be in conflict with her father, or to deliberately defy him, both of which she already seems to be doing, and I really can't see how that's helpful to her. She's not exactly lacking in spunk.
ossobuco

Sat 10 Dec, 2011 09:12 pm
@Thomas,
ah ha..
0 Replies

Thomas

Sat 10 Dec, 2011 09:13 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
Do you really think most adolescents need support in their resistance? Laughing

Yes. I think Gracie can use support in how to resist, even if she doesn't need support in her motivation to resist.

firefly wrote:
I think by supporting Gracie's resistance you're encouraging her to be in conflict with her father, or to deliberately defy him, both of which she already seems to be doing, and I really can't see how that's helpful to her.

That's possible, but I don't see conflict as a bad thing. This is, at its core, a conflict of roles: With apologies for repeating myself, her father's role is to keep her safe; her own role is to assert her liberty. I cannot advise her father on how to play his role. But I can advise Gracie on how to play hers. And I see no need to discourage her from playing it.