Kiss My Ass Irene

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 09:12 pm
The tornado in 1988 hit my house on Sawmill Rd. Fran hit my house in North trails in 96 and Floyd hit my house off Raven Ridge. Screw Irene... I ain't skeert
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 23 • Views: 22,849 • Replies: 340

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 12:56 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
Let us know how it works out.
roger

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 03:32 am
@Lustig Andrei,
You mean, how does disrespecting the storm gods work out?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 05:51 am
the storm gods are not in my pantheon. I'm more of Loki, Bacchus, Apollo and Eros guy. Drunk Twisted Evil
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 06:19 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
Talking big when you are two hours inland.
JPB

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 06:36 am
@engineer,
I think he's living on the coast now. Bear, if you get an order to evacuate then evacuate. If you decide to defy the storm and stay put then write your SS number on your arm in permanent marker so you can be identified later. Also, don't change your mind and put first responders at risk when you discover you aren't quite ready to die afterall.
sozobe

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 06:50 am
@JPB,
Yeah.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 06:56 am
@JPB,
I don't think the move's happened yet. The Bear's still in the Raleigh area.

Engineer, how are you and your family sorted for this storm?
sozobe

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 06:56 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
The Bear's still in the Raleigh area.

Whew.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 07:08 am
I drove throught the edge of a hurricane from Wilmington to Smithfield (east of Raleigh), a nornally one and a half hour drive, which took three hours in driving sheets of rain and high winds which constantly threatened to push the car off the road. When i got home, i sat down in an easy chair to relax before getting my supper, and fell immediately asleep, and slept until the next morning, sitting there in the chair. The next day my neck muscles were seized up in a cramp that lasted about twelve hours. Not fun.
Sturgis

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 09:33 am
@Setanta,
When he awoke the chair had been hauled away to the Sally...
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 11:27 am
@ehBeth,
Thanks for asking. We're seeing early winds and rain here. The kids got the day off from school so we got them to take in all the lawn furniture but other than that, we aren't too concerned. They are calling for 60-70 mph winds here and the last few of these went higher than that with just a few shingles and some lawn cleanup. I am planning for a few hours without power, but I'm in a good section of town with underground lines so we're usually up pretty quickly. My in-laws are inland a few hours so if it looks like we'll be without power for a while, I can flee without too much planning.
sozobe

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 11:28 am
@engineer,
Yikes! How close to the shore are you?
JPB

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 11:47 am
@engineer,
Or the river?

engineer, do not underestimate the power of a Cat 4 surge in a Cat 2 storm.

http://able2know.org/topic/172867-4#post-4712137

Here's an interactive map to the NHC's Storm Surge Risk Map. Double click on your area of the map and then choose Cat 4. Depending on where you are in relation to the coast or the river you could see an 8 - 18' surge above ground level with this storm.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ssurge/risk/index.shtml?gm

Quote:
Forecast and storm surge potential for Irene
With its eyewall collapsed and just 24 more hours over water before landfall, it is unlikely Irene will have time to build a new eyewall and intensify. The storm is too large to weaken quickly, and the best forecast is that Irene will be a Category 2 hurricane at landfall in North Carolina on Saturday, and a rapidly weakening Category 1 hurricane at its second landfall in New England on Sunday. However, since Irene is such a huge storm--tropical storm force winds extend out up to 290 miles from the center--it has set a massive amount of the ocean's surface in motion, which will cause a much larger storm surge than the winds would suggest. At 9:30am EDT this morning, a wind analysis from NOAA/HRD (Figure 1) indicated that the potential storm surge damage from Irene rated a 5.1 on a scale of 0 to 6. This is equivalent to the storm surge a typical Category 4 hurricane would have. While this damage potential should gradually decline as Irene moves northwards and weakens, we can still expect a storm surge one full Saffir-Simpson Category higher than Irene's winds. Since tides are at their highest levels of the month this weekend due to the new moon, storm surge flooding will be at a maximum during the high tidal cycles that will occur at 8 pm Saturday night and 8 am Sunday morning. More

Please heed whatever evacuation orders you receive.

JTT

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 11:55 am
@JPB,
Quote:
do not underestimate the power of a Cat 4 surge in a Cat 2 storm.

Absolutely! What every surfer/bodyboarder hopes for, a storm that stalls way off shore and just keeps pumping the energy into the water.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 11:59 am
@engineer,
Hurricane - in laws, that's one tough decision, E.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 12:12 pm
@engineer,
You're also forecast to get 12-14" of rain in the next five days, most of it in the next 24 hours. There is a high risk of fresh water flooding in your area.

http://icons.wxug.com/hurricane/2011/aug26_rain.gif
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 12:28 pm
Following your radar...

http://radblast-mi.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/radar/WUNIDS_map?station=LTX&brand=wui&num=6&delay=15&type=N0Z&frame=0&scale=1.000&noclutter=0&t=1314383173&lat=0&lon=0&label=you&showstorms=0&map.x=400&map.y=240&centerx=400&centery=240&transx=0&transy=0&showlabels=1&severe=0&rainsnow=0&lightning=0&smooth=0
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 12:38 pm
Wind has not been too bad here in Charleston. We've had periods of heavy rain, but otherwise not too bad. Hope all y'all north of me will weather Irene well. And as a hurricane Hugo survivor, if they say leave, then seriously consider it.
engineer

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 12:55 pm
@sozobe,
I'm about five miles in from the ocean and two from the river. My particular area is not going to see any storm surge, but we can count on the streets flooding. Luckily, I have a four foot diameter storm drain running under the street in front of my house so a couple of hours after the rain stops my street will be clear. Of course the town will be a mess with street flooding (we get that with very hard storms) and outside of town is where the real flooding will be. Those founding fathers built the city on all the high ground.