Kiss My Ass Irene

farmerman

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 07:45 pm
@JPB,
Ive got no pity for stupid acts.

We just returned from helping my BIL close and batten down his beach home in Broadkill Beach DEL (about 20 mi N of Rehoboth Beach DEL) WE finished up at 5 PM and it took 4 hours to run the 90 mi trip N to our house where they are gonna stay the week until an all clear os given. DEL beaches have been under a MANDATORY evacuation since about 10AM today. Same thing with MD beaches and NJ (CApe MAy Co and Ocean CO). Gov Lardass over there wants to declare martial law even before the whole storm displays its intensity.

Seems theres a bit of "Dry" air seeping into the eye wall and this is eroding her intensity (But niot its rain massload).

I hope for the best but weve prepared for the wurst.

I am relly beat, I took a showere and had a ST PAuli NA beer and I feel like Im a limp noodle.
WE got a copy of "Paul" at the redbox so well watch that until crash time .

My Paslode nail gun got a hell of a workout today. My arm feels like Ive been jackhammering for a week.I can baerely lift my beer.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 08:06 pm
@JPB,
Cue Jimmy Buffet,

“I ain’t afraid of dyin’, I don’t need to explain.”

Just as there are cowboys that should never get on bucking bulls and skiers that should never go into the backcountry or out of bounds, there are surfers who shouldn't do big wave/storm surfing.

But even a Mark Foo can sometimes get caught, JPB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqNdFxH4RHk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2QvlX9UZMs
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 08:11 pm
To Roberta, Tsarstepan, and other people in NYC or that area, the New York Times is making all of its storm coverage free (no 20-article limit).

Quote:
To Our Readers
During this emergency, The New York Times is providing unlimited free access to storm coverage on nytimes.com and its mobile apps.

Mandatory evacuation zones, for example:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/08/26/nyregion/new-york-city-hurricane-evacuation-zones.html
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 08:26 pm
I never liked the storm waves - choppy as all get out, with a great tendency to close out in one huge schmursh the length of the beach/reef zone.

I liked the storms that stalled far out from shore and pumped in humongous waves. The best places were the offshore reefs that would lie flat and smooth until a monster storm generated a surge that would rise up like tsunami.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 08:37 pm
It's hard to grasp the size of this storm.

http://icons-ecast.wunderground.com/data/images/at201109_sat.jpg
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 08:39 pm
@JTT,
JTT's link.

JTT, look at this with the quote button and you'll see how I did it. It is basically

Code:[url=yourlink]text[/url]
farmerman

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 08:42 pm
@JPB,
By tomorrow this is gonna be just a big tropical storm. ALl that dry air is degrading it even further.
Cmon Irene get some dry air, youll love it.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 08:47 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
[url=yourlink]text[/url]

Tried this and got nothing, BFN. Maybe it needs a closing bracket after the first url

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/photos/surfers-take-on-hurricane-irene-1314389967-slideshow/;_ylt=AjxmyfD15k7Kh76CjUTb9MoXssB_;_ylu=X3oDMTNmZDhrY2tkBHBrZwNhZWYzNzBjMC1mNzBjLTNiMjMtYjhkNS02MDBiYWIwZDdlZGIEcG9zAzIEc2VjA01lZGlhQXJ0aWNsZVJlbGF0ZWQEdmVyAzAzYzUxNTcwLWNmM2MtMTFlMC1hZmU3LTUxNjZmMTEzMWM3OA--;_ylg=X3oDMTJ0YmI5djFlBGludGwDY2EEbGFuZwNlbi1jYQRwc3RhaWQDOTFkN2NhNzQtNWEwMy0zYWNkLWE0OGYtMTgyNTVlY2FlMTU1BHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3N0b3J5cGFnZQR0ZXN0Aw--;_ylv=3 here

Nope, screwed it up twice. I think I'll stick to riding bulls. Smile
JPB

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 08:52 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
[url=yourlink]text[/url]

Tried this and got nothing, BFN. Maybe it needs a closing bracket after the first url

here

Nope, screwed it up twice. I think I'll stick to riding bulls. Smile

Put an = sign after [url and move the closing bracket after v=3 and before what you want to call it (I used "here")
JTT

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 09:00 pm
@JPB,
here

Hot diggity dog, I done it!

Thanks BFN and JPB.
JPB

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 09:02 pm
@JTT,
Very Happy
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 09:04 pm
We're getting tornado reports in Bellhaven and Jacksonville, NC. Apparently there's significant damage in Bellhaven.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 09:17 pm
Ok, the 11:00 models are out. She's shifted slightly to the east in most of the models. Still forecast to be a Cat 1 hurricane through Sunday morning. g'nite folks. Stay safe, everyone.

http://icons.wunderground.com/data/images/at201109_model.gif
http://icons-ecast.wunderground.com/data/images/at201109.gif
farmerman

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2011 03:59 am
@JPB,
shes weakening and the dry air degradation is taking some effect. She will still be a major rainmaker and flood damage may be high due to major storm surges.

I like it when the Weather Channel has to downgrade its normal alarmist crap. Just report the facts , dont raise the fear factor.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2011 04:19 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

shes weakening and the dry air degradation is taking some effect. She will still be a major rainmaker and flood damage may be high due to major storm surges.

I like it when the Weather Channel has to downgrade its normal alarmist crap. Just report the facts , dont raise the fear factor.
What are you talking about...... no less than President Obama was warning about the dangers of this storm, for the first time in memory evacuations have been ordered for NYC, Amtrak has shut down all operations on the NEC for the first time in history....it is inconceivable that this storm is not going to be a major disaster. *degrading sarcasm*
farmerman

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2011 04:43 am
@hawkeye10,
Anything with the word "hurricane" is gonna be of concern. My bitch is that the "Storm of the Millenium" bullshit that was being pitched by the Weather Channel and taken up by local stations is despicable reporting. When the Weather Channel no longer is a service and becomes a kind of "Weather related reality TV" they give up their credibility IMHO.
The fact is that its degraded quite a bit because of dynamics of how the rotation works in a hurricane. Once a hurricane approaches a land mass on its left it exchanges air masses and the strength decreases . ALSO, The fact that the storm is coming on land as a cat 1 is a major OOPS for these clowns. People out there in the lowlying areas are used to NEasters and Hurricane winds and water. Theyve made their preparations but they dont need this hype that the news is now creating.

The Weather Channel is now filming damage that is occuring to private boat docks is disgusting to me. All they are doing is trying to ratchet up the jitter factor.
PEople who do really stupid things while in the presence of a hurricane deserce having their genes removed. If your gonna surf in areas with extreme refracted waves and undertows maybe your genes shouldnt be passed on.

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2011 04:52 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
My bitch is that the "Storm of the Millenium" bullshit that was being pitched by the Weather Channel and taken up by local stations is despicable reporting
NO different than NYC doing evacuations for the first time or Amtrak shutting down the NEC for the first time for a storm that hit North Carolina as a CAT 1.........there is zero chance this degree of panic is warranted, at the end of the day this is just one more case amongst many of our government lying to us and spreading panic, just another example of how poorly America now functions. Our forefathers must be turning in their graves with what wusses we have turned out to be.
farmerman

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2011 05:06 am
@hawkeye10,
The only reason our forefathern didnt panic (seemingly) is because they didnt have instant 24 hour news cycles. It often took weeks to find out that your side lost a battle or that a storm or earthquake took out an entire section of country.

Maybe the govt needs to be more involved in better monitoring responsibility in news reporting. When ratings (a non govt feature) determines how programming quality is doled out, I wonder why Congress sits on ots ass and lets it continue. Freedom of thwe press shouldnt include incitment to panic . Its too bad that all news media arent self policing. Weve got bullshit from the right AND left and now weve got bullshit parading as good science.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2011 05:17 am
@farmerman,
Government is no less leading the panic than is the press...,,,,for instance we are going to end up with NYC virtually not functioning with a bit of rain and wind because government decided to shut down the transit system for the first time ever....what this tells people is that the city leaders are in a panic, they did not think that they could keep the system running so they shut it down.
JPB

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2011 05:20 am
Mornin

Rainfall totals for Wilmington looks like 6-8"

http://radblast-mi.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/radar/WUNIDS_map?station=LTX&brand=wui&num=1&delay=15&type=NTP&frame=0&scale=0.750&noclutter=0&t=1314443997&lat=34.24169922&lon=-77.94360352&label=Wilmington%2C+NC&showstorms=0&map.x=400&map.y=240&centerx=477&centery=270&transx=77&transy=30&showlabels=1&severe=0&rainsnow=0&lightning=0&smooth=0
0 Replies