Kiss My Ass Irene

izzythepush

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 04:18 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

I knew that Saddam was a vindictive homicidal maniac (since age 10)

Did you support America arming him to the teeth during the Iran/Iraq war? What about Donald Rumsfeld's arselicking missions to Baghdad, did you support them too?

The invasion of Iraq was an unmitigated disaster, something most right minded people agree on. The fact that you still think Sadam Hussain had WMDs shows how detached from reality you have become.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 04:37 am
@izzythepush,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
I knew that Saddam was a vindictive homicidal maniac (since age 10)
izzythepush wrote:
Did you support America arming him to the teeth during the Iran/Iraq war?
Not actively, but I probably woud have (b4 he invaded Kuwait) if I 'd considered it.

izzythepush wrote:
What about Donald Rumsfeld's arselicking missions to Baghdad, did you support them too?
No. Do u notice how I answer your questions
while u ignore mine, merely offering stupid, personal insults????

izzythepush wrote:
The invasion of Iraq was an unmitigated disaster,
KILLING Saddam & sons was pretty DAMN GOOD MITIGATION, Izzy
and a damn good disaster for the Saddam Dynasty of Iraq.

izzythepush wrote:
something most right minded people agree on.
Right minded means DISagreeing with U, Izzy.

izzythepush wrote:
The fact that you still think Sadam Hussain had WMDs shows how detached from reality you have become.
He USED them, effecting 1OOOs of fatalities; did u forget that??
He detached 1OOOs of people (civilians) from reality
by chemical warfare. Did u forget about his cousin
(was it his cousin???) "Chemical Ali" ??
Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 04:41 am
So wait a minute--Saddam Hussein only came to power in 1978. Is Dave claiming he was ten in 1978? Somewhere in here there's one hell of a big whopper of a lie going on. I'm beginning to think that Dave is a pathological liar.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 05:14 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
So wait a minute--Saddam Hussein only came to power in 1978. Is Dave claiming he was ten in 1978? Somewhere in here there's one hell of a big whopper of a lie going on. I'm beginning to think that Dave is a pathological liar.
When Saddam was 1O, he killed his teacher, concerning some disagreement.
Apparently: he liked it and kept it up, until we stopped him.

David
Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 05:21 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Utter horseshit . . . you gotta a source for that idiocy? At the age of ten, Hussein went to live with his uncle in Baghdad. I suspect that you're making things up again, or that you're so naive, that you're passing along someone else's bullshit story. Either way, you look the fool.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 05:45 am
@OmSigDAVID,
According to what is available out there, the tale is one of hearsay and only indicates that young Saddy claimed to have attempted killing the teacher. This according to a quasar that knew him when they were both youths.

From bbc.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/panorama/2399891.stm

"The first signs of Saddam's ruthlessness came as a young teenager, when, at the age of 14, he apparently claimed he had tried to kill his teacher.

Revenge

It happened after he had been beaten by one of his strict teachers. The Iraqi leader did not flinch or say a word, but quickly got his revenge according to Zobedi.

He said: "That night, a man riding a horse knocked at the door of the teacher's house in the outskirts of the town.

"When the brother opened the door, the horse rider shot the brother in the leg.

Expolsives

"The teacher carried his wounded brother to the hospital and went straight to the police station and reported the incident. He accused Saddam of the shooting.

"When the police arrived at the house, they found Saddam fast asleep but there was no gun or horse.

"The teacher didn't hang around and left the town soon after. A few days later Saddam told me that he returned the horse and gun to Alouja and went to bed."

The young Saddam also had a rather unusual method of fishing according to Zobedi.

He said: "He used to prepare a bomb, a special bomb. He would throw it in the river, and then the explosion would bring up all the fish..."

Okay....

anyway....

another tale tells of young Saddy actually now murdering said teacher, but alas, he was 11. In this one from a site called Historical Boys' Clothing we find the wee lad at the age of 10, grabbing his Uncle by the throat and demanding to be sent to school, which he subsequently was and at the age of 1o was in a classroom of 5 year olds.

http://histclo.com/bio/h/bio-huss.html

"He did not begin school until he was 10 years old and found himself in a class of 5 year olds. Yet he demanded an uncle send him to school. At 11 years of age he killed his teacher."

So we have the first report from his childhood buddy, saying that Saddy, only tried to kill the teacher, and then a site with no proof saying that Saddy did indeed kill the teacher.

Well David, it's like this, Saddy made plenty of claims most with the intent of intimidating, so the likelihood of his having actually shooting the teacher, much less killing him is highly suspect. That combined with dozens of conflicting internet listings....most claiming to have the truth and genuine facts, tells us that Saddy, most likely didn't even use his comb to scratch the teacher, much less use a gun on him.

The best and truest quote found at the Historical Boys' Clothing site is under "Personal Habits" section where it says:

"So much has been attributed to Saddam that it is some times difficult to differentiate fact from fiction..."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 05:50 am
Supposing, only for the sake of discussion, that your bullshit claim is true, David. Are you playing the hypocrite here? How do you know he wasn't exercising his right to defensive freedom? Maybe his teacher was fondling him after school, so he got a gun and exercised that right you cherish so much.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 05:54 am
msolga, HAwkeye is again floundering in an effort to appear like he knows of what he speaks. He doesnt. He made a lucky guess and he didnt even make it for himself as I was the one who commented on the influx of cold dry air being swept into the hurricane as it approached the Carolinas. This cold air was a unique occurence resulting from a blocking HIGH PRESSURE zone that was "piled up" in the Cumberland Pateau and consequently, an unforeseeable occurence based on "intensity models" that NOAA uses for marine weather.
I was in Chattanooga when the earthquake hit and was coincidentally following a local forecaster comment on how "dammed up" cold air was slipping through the Appalachian GAps especially in TEnnessee and Western NC. AT the time just before all that dry air seeped into the hurricane, Irene was well on her way to becoming a cat 4 when she landed. Models couldnt pick up the data (YET) and the rapid degradation of Irene into a cat 3 then cat 2 and then cat 1 was rapid and was a function of the fact that upper air, when descending, contains ZERO effective moisture..
I picked that up while in Chatanooga and was kind of amazed that this phenom wasnt a common "Hurricane killer".
Ill bet that futire intensity models will have input from topo adiabatic effects like this.
HAwkeye just "felt" like it was a hype after I stated that was my opinion (I didnt provide HAwkeye with any data or evidence) he just became a "CAssandrus" without any basis in fact. DAve, on the other hand just was being a typical curmudgeonal NEwYAwka who love to take every opportunity to remind the rest of the US that the center of mass must always remain NEwYAwk. In effect, Ive been hearing the jaded NewYAwkas asking the post hurricane question
"WHY AINT I DEAD?"

However, counter to both of these Shaman, pleae dont let the people of NC VA Del (especially Lewes and Nassau), NJ Conn and Vt know that this was a "non event" . SOmeone is gonna have to pony up the estimated 7.5 BILLION in damages (and rising cause they still cant get into Vt) and soemone is gonna have to take time to bury 23 people whos deaths were storm related. (I wonder how many more woulda been killed were they not warned in advance). The Joplin Mo tornado deaths were an example of how unpreparedness acts against safety.

I think that this Monday morning quarterbacking is stupid . I think we should look at this as an opportunity for the Weather Service to recalibrate and add new iteration streams into their models for hurricane INTENSITY. They will be advised to gather data from the flanks of incoming hurricanes to detect topographic effects that could degrade a hurricanes strength. I suspect, however, that these calculations will only be valid for a hurricane track that followed a similar path up the US east coast.

I think the science is fascinating, Im gonna let the "Why aint i dead" boys have their back slapsturbation .
izzythepush

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 06:09 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Do u notice how I answer your questions
while u ignore mine, merely offering stupid, personal insults????Right minded means DISagreeing with U, Izzy.

I think that is an insult Dave. America had a huge amount of international goodwill following 9/11. That was all thrown away by the unwarranted invasion of Iraq. Al Qaida grew in strength and popularity throughout Dubya's disastrous presidency. It is only now that its influence is starting to fade.

It is a fact that no WMDs were found during the invasion, Saddam's cousin's nom de guerre does not change this fact.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 06:21 am
@farmerman,
Although it is not something about which i had previously thought, the first time you mentioned it, it made perfect sense to me. We know that hurricanes pick up energy and force when they pick up warm, moist air--which is why hurricanes in the Gulf can be so devastating. The Gulf is relatively shallow, and, of course, is therefore a wonderful source for warm moist air.

It makes perfect sense that cold, dry air will suck the life out of the storm.
jespah

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 06:26 am
@Setanta,
That's a part of why New England is usually okay, at least when it comes to wind. Also, I'm sure, because by the time it hits here, it's already been going on for a while so a lot of the energy is spent. However, there are apparently 700,000 people here without power as of this morning, per Boston.com.
farmerman

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 06:37 am
@Setanta,
The really nifty thing about these oro- adiabatic effetcs is that the Appalachian chain has a bunch of these many "wind gaps" and water gaps where any dammed up tall and dry air masses will just spill out and flood valleys and, in this case, get sucked into the vortex and really diminish the storms intensity.

Ill bet that future models are gonna have these oro effects built
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 06:38 am
@jespah,
The thing that has always bothered me is WHY THE HELL DO WE STILL PUT OUR POWER LINES UP ON POLES ?
Sturgis

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 06:47 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

The thing that has always bothered me is WHY THE HELL DO WE STILL PUT OUR POWER LINES UP ON POLES ?

You have to hang the sneakers from somewhere don't you?

Placing lines underground isn't always the answer either since chemicals can get in and eat the wires away. Advantage/disadvantage both sides.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 06:49 am
@farmerman,
There was a heated discussion of this by some obscure experts on the CBC a while back--and one practical politician who kept reminding them that taxpayesr don't want to pay the cost of burying all the power lines. The others would get all worked up and start ranting about how much more it costs to repair storm damage, and he'd just chuckle and invite them over to his riding to convince the voters they wanted to pony up a few billion to bury the power lines. I forget where it was now, although i think it was in the Carolinas, where there were almost no power failures because the nickel dropped for them a long, long time ago, and they buried the power lines. Of course, in North Carolina, if they want to finance something, they just throw a few pennies tax on every pound of processed tobacco, and let the Yankees pay for it when they buy cirgarettes. North Carolina produces more than a thousand tons (or at least at one time did) of processed tobacco each year--you can see how the cash would add up pretty damned quickly if they added a nickel tax to every pound of processed tobacco.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 06:55 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
When Saddam was 1O, he killed his teacher, concerning some disagreement.
Apparently: he liked it and kept it up, until we stopped him.

And that's why we should arm children I guess.......
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 06:58 am
@farmerman,
I KNOW!

I rant about this every time we lose power because of those stupid up-on-a-pole power lines. (And that happens pretty frequently around here.) I get that it'd be prohibitively expensive to put it all underground, but power outages must have a cost, too.

edit: other responses weren't there yet when I typed the above. I had wondered about dangers of being underground. Can't they sheathe the wires in something extremely durable? Or does that add crazy expense?
Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 07:05 am
Sorry, but i mispoke. In January, 1984, when i was living in North Carolina, i read an article in the Raleigh Times and Observer about marijuana production in North Carolina, in which the state bureau of investigation estimated that the steet value of marijuana grown in North Carolina exceeded the value of the tobacco crop in 1982. Leaving reefer aside, it reported that in 1982, in excess (i don't recall the exact figure) of 840 million pounds of tobacco was produced in North Carolina. Now, the manufacturer (R. J. Reynolds) is going to tell the distributor "Hey, look, i'm sorry but i'm gonna hafta add five cents to every carton of cigarettes." Now a cigarette holds about one gram of tobacco, so a carton of cigarettes is less than half a pound of tobacco, and the real cost would be about two cents per carton. The distributor is gonna tell his distributor "Look, it's a shame, but i'm gonna hafta charge you five cents more per carton because my cost went up." Then that guy is gonna tell the retailer "I regret to tell you that i'm gonna hafta charge you five cents more per pack, because of the new tax in North Carolina." And, of course, the retailer is gonna tell the customer "Hey, what can i do? The cost of cigarettes went up, and i'm gonna hafta charge you a quarter more per pack." Ain't capitalism grand?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 07:05 am
@sozobe,
Agreed re the power lines. I'm not sure who's responsible for tree maintenance 'round power and cable lines here - homeowners? The city? The state? National Grid? Cablevision? In any event, we saw small limbs down (and things that can really only be called sticks) all over the place and lots of overhangs over power and cable lines. Why, oh, why, aren't these being maintained?

I recognize that this is Monday morning (literally) quarterbacking, but it's not like we don't have storms around here. I'm not talking about delicate tree surgery here. I'm talking about someone paying some dude and his truck with a chainsaw to just lop off all overhanging limbs and be done with it. Hell, whoever does it could probably make some cash back by selling it as firewood.
msolga

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 07:06 am
@farmerman,
Thank you for such a detailed explanation, farmer.
You make a lot of sense.

(Obviously I couldn't figure out what the "Monday morning quarterbacking" was supposed to prove, either. Neutral )
0 Replies