SNOW REMOVAL IS "SHOVEL READY"

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 07:10 am
The largest public works project since 2003 has blessed the Northeastern US. Ive got about 20" of snow in my barnyard , and its drifted up to the wagon shed door so Im gonna have to dig out the tractor so I can plow the place.
It does look pretty though.
Those of you who dont experience snowfalls, I feel sorry for your boring life. This is the stuff that we secretly look forward to on Christmas and a really snowy winter makes us appreciate spring all the more.

Im not bitching, Im just letting you know that I have lots of snow for sale and its top grade Lancaster White.

rosborne979

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 07:18 am
@farmerman,
We had plenty of snow up here last year, along with an ice storm which knocked out my power for over two weeks.

I would be perfectly happy if we didn't get ANY snow this year. Unfortunately we've already had 8" or so.

This particular storm however seems to be missing my area of New Hampshire. As I look out my window right now, we don't have even a single flake on the ground. Apparently the dividing line between snow and no-snow in this storm is very sharp. Towns only 20 miles from here are getting large accumulations.

Enjoy your drifts Smile
dadpad

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 07:22 am
Have shovel will travel
farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 07:33 am
@rosborne979,
This was a fast moving storm and I hope we dont get the follow-on winds that make polowing a daily effort for the first few days after. Lots of firewood on the porch, everybody's warm so I hate going out . Ill make my next journey outside after the Replay of the Temple Basketball game.
farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 07:33 am
@dadpad,
You guy could use some of my snow to cool off your continent.

HEY, I just thought of something, tonites our longest night of the year and things start to get brighter from here on till peak summer.

I need to know that.
dadpad

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 07:37 am
Yes we could. shovel in a westerly dirction could you please

There is an appeal for Riverina Murray residents to be prepared for bushfires after two big blazes yesterday burnt out more than 15,000 hectares.

The fires at Tooma and Gerogery have destroyed at least six homes, farm sheds, fodder and crops, while stock losses are yet to be assessed.
jespah

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 07:39 am
@farmerman,
Still coming down here. Here's what Weather Underground says about snow depth: http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/640x480/2xus_snow.gif
farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 07:51 am
@dadpad,
Sorry bout the fires dp. Ill put a coupla cubic yards in the mail tomorrow. (If we can get out)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 07:52 am
@jespah,
jes, that weather iso depth map is a bit short. We got 20" and there are several communities around here (Strasburg /Georgetown) that got well over 2 ft
jespah

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 07:55 am
@farmerman,
I don't think they've updated it for a while. We currently have something like 7 - 9" and it's still falling.

This site is better: http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/nsa/index.html?year=2009&month=12&day=20&units=e&region=Northeast
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 07:56 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Those of you who dont experience snowfalls, I feel sorry for your boring life.

It's OK. Thanks for thinking of us, though. Very nice of you.

Enjoy your white Christmas. Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 08:24 am
@farmerman,
I hope a bit of it will come this way before Christmas. I'm feeling quite envious right now.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 08:30 am
The wind is strong enough, or the snow is light enough, that it's not sticking to the tree limbs. Could be prettier. I'll be going out to do the first round of shoveling after breakfast.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 08:34 am
I really need to get out the leaf blower today, in some places in the yard the leaves are 3 inches deep.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 08:43 am
@farmerman,
Yes, I agree completely. 20" snow = heaven (as long as it doesn't knock out power, which seems to happen around here).

We have a bare, wimpy dusting, but it's still coming down (lightly) so hopefully it'll accumulate into something substantial yet.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 09:16 am
20" starts getting tricky when you live in a city. You can't put it in the street, you can't put it on the sidewalks, you can't put it on other cars or neighbors' front stoops..... As I look out the window I see that one of my neighbors has a new snow-blower.
farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 09:27 am
@littlek,
Yep, many cities used to have these great snowmelters into which theyd shovel the snow. The melter would be a big furnace and the water would be run into the storm sewers. I think the fuel costs shut them down.
littlek

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 09:32 am
@farmerman,
Funny you should mention fuel costs - now they load the snow into trucks that haul truckfulls out of the city.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 09:49 am
That map ain't right for us, either, and we haven't had a big snow since last week.

Life's greatly improved since putting snows on the family truckster.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 10:01 am
@farmerman,
Toronto just got some of those snow-melters a couple of years ago. It's certainly helped clear up some of the main roads after big storms.
0 Replies