Kiss My Ass Irene

engineer

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 12:57 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Please heed whatever evacuation orders you receive.

No evac orders for Wilmington, just warnings at this point.
engineer

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 01:02 pm
@CoastalRat,
Ah Hugo! I was sitting in a sub at the Weapons Station when Hugo came in, rocking us gently to sleep. The next morning we pops up and everything was leveled. Absolutely incredible. Of course the sub had power, hot showers and food, movies, etc while the city was without power for two weeks. Talk about the storm surge, there was a sub at the main base that was tied up with thirteen lines, twelve of which broke pulling the sub out with just one line tied up. The captain chose to submerge to protect the sub. When the storm surge reversed, the sub was pushed back up under the pier where they were stuck and could fully surface again. There were some pretty funny pictures from that one.
JTT

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 01:02 pm
@engineer,
Is Wilmington in a locale that could possibly be figured to require a complete evacuation, E? Like New Orleans?
JTT

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 01:05 pm
@engineer,
I thought that normal operating procedure was to put out to sea in situations like this.
engineer

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 01:16 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Is Wilmington in a locale that could possibly be figured to require a complete evacuation, E? Like New Orleans?

Funny you should ask as I grew up in Metairie, the large suburb west of New Orleans. A large part of New Orleans is actually below sea level and consists of reclaimed land so N.O. is particularly at risk and has be to kept dry with a series of levies and pumping stations. Katrina broke the levies, but there is also a risk of the pumping stations failing so hurricanes are always perilous there and I remember flood waters ten to fifteen feet deep in some areas just from the rain. We used to always evacuate when I was growing up. Wilmington is much higher but has a lot of water draining into the area so if you get all that rain we're forecast to get, the water can't drain quickly enough and you get temporary flooding. I've been though a number of hurricanes here and we've never been under an evacuation order. Hurricane Ophelia did do around $5K damage to my house, but other than that it usually some shingles and some inconvenience. We don't sweat it like New Orleans at all.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 01:17 pm
@engineer,
I was a manager at the old Sheraton Airport Inn on Rivers Ave. during Hugo. Spent the night there to help with the guests who checked in there to get out of the downtown area. Didn't do them much good. We had several windows blown out at the hotel and the first floor flooded up past my ankles. I wandered outside for a sweep of the property when the eye passed over us, only to find that nearly every car in the parking lot had there windows blown out. It was a mess. Next morning I made my way home to be greeted by two pine trees that had tried to escape the storm by attempting to enter my house from the roof. None of that I would wish on my worst enemy.
engineer

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 01:19 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

I thought that normal operating procedure was to put out to sea in situations like this.

You are correct. My sub was scheduled to go into the yards and if they started the reactor back up it would have set the timeline back six months (to allow the "short lived" fission by-products to decay away) so they decided to keep us there. Not sure what the case was with the other sub. We were the only two boats left in Charleston.
engineer

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 01:24 pm
@CoastalRat,
I lived in Ortranto Plantation and there were ten to fifteen trees on some houses. Funny tree story from Hugo:

A shipmate was evacuating and left his car at another shipmate's house. The plan was that the second shipmate's wife would move his car into the garage when they evacuated but when she went to move the car she discovered it was one of those Audi's with the difficult manual transmissions. She fiddled with it for a while then left it on the street and evacuated. When her family returned after the storm, they found a tree had fallen ... through the garage.
CoastalRat

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 01:25 pm
@engineer,
Yes, a good story that one.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 01:28 pm
@engineer,
Just tell me what you can so that loose lips don't sink ships. Smile

You said you were underwater, "The next morning we pops up "; did you move out to deeper water?
engineer

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 01:46 pm
@JTT,
Sorry, being figurative there. We closed the hatches but didn't submerge at the pier. When I said (or tried to say) "popped up" I meant we just opened the hatches and climbed up on deck.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 01:47 pm
Still just light rains and some wind here.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 02:15 pm
@engineer,
Engineer Fran damn near destroyed our house and we were in it. In 95, I was doing a show in Mobile at the University when Opal hit at Precisely the time me and my employee were pulling away . We drove home in it on the exact same route it was following and I was driving a 16' truck and pulling a 25' flatbed truck with 2 orbitrons (gyroscope rides) mounted on it, making it essentially a metal sailboat. We drove straight home without a stop. Life is interesting if you don't lose your nerve.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 03:28 pm
@engineer,
Thinking of you all... do take care

x
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 05:22 pm
@engineer,
Looks like engineer is getting tropical storm force winds now. Stay safe, man.

http://icons-ecast.wunderground.com/data/images/at201109_wind.gif
ehBeth

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 05:28 pm
@engineer,
Stay safe - and enjoy the ride (safety first though)!
JTT

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 05:41 pm
@ehBeth,
Get in your parasailing before the 73 mph winds hit.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 06:17 pm
@JPB,
Thanks all! Pretty constant rain now and solid but reasonable winds. We've already had a few power blips but the cable is still working so my pipe to all of you is active.
JTT

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 07:31 pm
@engineer,
Quote:

Hurricane Irene: Are surfers crazy to love hurricanes?

Hurricane Irene: The approaching hurricane brings out 'storm surfers,' those who crave the bigger, more dangerous waves not usually found on the East Coast.

What is it about hurricanes that draws surfers to the shore like moths to the flame? When everyone else is wringing their hands about a coming hurricane, some surfers respond with glee.
In his 2009 song “Surfing in a Hurricane,” Jimmy Buffett sings, “I ain’t afraid of dyin’, I don’t need to explain.”
When a major storm approaches, many surfers are thrilled by the much larger West Coast-type waves that churn up the East Coast’s normally flatter water. They peruse websites like magicseaweed.com or Swellinfo.com for the latest information on what the surf is doing.

IN PICTURES: Storm surfing

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/photos/surfers-take-on-hurricane-irene-1314389967-slideshow/;_ylt=AjxmyfD15k7Kh76CjUTb9MoXssB_;_ylu=X3oDMTNmZDhrY2tkBHBrZwNhZWYzNzBjMC1mNzBjLTNiMjMtYjhkNS02MDBiYWIwZDdlZGIEcG9zAzIEc2VjA01lZGlhQXJ0aWNsZVJlbGF0ZWQEdmVyAzAzYzUxNTcwLWNmM2MtMTFlMC1hZmU3LTUxNjZmMTEzMWM3OA--;_ylg=X3oDMTJ0YmI5djFlBGludGwDY2EEbGFuZwNlbi1jYQRwc3RhaWQDOTFkN2NhNzQtNWEwMy0zYWNkLWE0OGYtMTgyNTVlY2FlMTU1BHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3N0b3J5cGFnZQR0ZXN0Aw--;_ylv=3

[wow, what a link! Sure wish I knew how to compress that. I'm gonna try. Here goes nuttin']

EDIT: didn't work, but at least the link works. Embarrassed

“When they name the storm, that’s when you start planning your schedule,” Mark Mitchell told The New York Times last year when an advancing Hurricane Earl was making waves in North Carolina.
What surfers want is “double overhead” – waves that are 12 to 15 high, or twice as tall as a surfer. Waves that look more like something you would see in Hawaii than on Virginia Beach. But the risks rise too, especially for novices or those surfers who don't have a lot of experience in bigger waves.
Often, surfers find that during the height of a storm, the winds create so much chop and crosscurrents that the wave patterns are too irregular for good surfing. They will typically wait until a few days after a major storm, when the larger-than-normal waves are rolling in nice sets.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/hurricane-irene-surfers-crazy-love-hurricanes-180411294.html
JPB

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 07:35 pm
@JTT,
They just announced the first storm related death in the US - a 22 year old surfer in Virginia Beach.