8-year-old Leiby Kletzky murder

chai2

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 09:30 am
This is just awful...

http://news.yahoo.com/nyc-boys-gruesome-killing-shocks-community-120852641.html

NEW YORK (AP) — Walking home alone from day camp for the first time, 8-year-old Leiby Kletzky disappeared.

A day-and-a-half search led police to the Brooklyn home of a man seen on a surveillance video with the young Orthodox Jewish child. They asked: Where is the boy?

The man nodded toward the kitchen, authorities said, where blood stained the freezer door. Inside was the stuff of horror films — severed feet, wrapped in plastic. In the refrigerator, a cutting board and three bloody carving knives. A plastic garbage bag with bloody towels was nearby.

"It is every parent's worst nightmare," Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said Wednesday, following the arrest of 35-year-old Levi Aron on a charge of second-degree murder.

Leiby disappeared Monday afternoon while on his way to meet his mother on a street corner seven blocks from his day camp, the first time the young Hasidic child was allowed to walk the route alone. Authorities said he had evidently gotten lost after missing a turn, and had reached out to Aron, a stranger, for help.

The gruesome killing shocked the tight-knit Hasidic community in Borough Park, in part because it is one of the safest sections of the city and because Aron is himself an Orthodox Jew, although not Hasidic. The Hasidim are ultra-Orthodox Jews.

"This is a no-crime area," said state Assemblyman Dov Hikind, whose district includes the area. "Everybody is absolutely horrified," he said. "Everyone is in total shock, beyond belief, beyond comprehension ... to suddenly disappear and then the details ... and the fact someone in the extended community ... it's awful."

While the medical examiner's office said it was still investigating how the boy was killed, the body was released so that the boy could be buried Wednesday evening according to Jewish custom.

Thousands gathered around a Borough Park synagogue for the funeral service. Speakers broadcast over a loudspeaker, chanting and speaking in Yiddish and Hebrew. They stressed the community's resilience and unity after what one called an unnatural death.

"This is not human," said Moses Klein, 73, a retired caterer who lives near the corner where the boy was last seen.

The break in the case came when investigators watched a grainy video that showed the boy, wearing his backpack, getting into a car with a man outside a dentist's office. Detectives tracked the dentist down at his home in New Jersey, and he remembered someone coming to pay a bill. Police identified Aron using records from the office, and 40 minutes later he was arrested, shortly before 3 a.m. Wednesday.

Aron told police where to find the rest of the body; it was in pieces, wrapped in plastic bags, inside a red suitcase that had been tossed into a trash bin in another Brooklyn neighborhood, Kelly said.

Police said there was no evidence the boy was sexually assaulted, but they would not otherwise shed any light on a motive except to say Aron told them he "panicked" when he saw photos of the missing boy on fliers that were distributed in the neighborhood. Police were looking into whether Aron had a history of mental illness.

Police said Aron, who is divorced, lives alone in an attic in a building shared with his father and uncle.

Kelly said it was "totally random" that Aron grabbed the boy, and aside from a summons for urinating in public, he had no criminal record. A neighbor told authorities her son had said Aron had once tried to lure him into his car, but nothing happened and she didn't think much of it until the news of the killing, police said.

He lived most of his life in New York and worked as a clerk at a hardware supply store around the corner from his home, authorities said. Co-workers said Aron was at work on Tuesday.
"He seemed a little troubled," said employee Chamin Kramer, who added Aron usually came and went quietly.

Aron lived briefly in Memphis, Tenn., and his ex-wife, Deborah Aron, still lives in the area. She said he never showed signs of violence toward her two children from a previous relationship.

"It's utter disbelief," she said from the toy-littered backyard of her home in the Memphis suburb of Germantown. "This ain't the Levi I know."

Deborah Aron said the couple divorced about four years ago after a year of marriage. She described Levi Aron as a person who was shy until he got to know you and said he enjoyed music, karaoke and "American Idol." She said he attended Orthodox Jewish services in Memphis.

He was "more of a mother's boy than a father's boy," who lived at home until he met her, she said.

She said Levi injured his head when he was hit by a car while riding his bike at the age of 9 and suffered problems stemming from that accident.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 15 • Views: 8,346 • Replies: 128

Sturgis

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 09:56 am
@chai2,
Yes, I first heard the terrible news yesterday morning. I don't normally fall apart but this time I did when they indicated that he was not only dead but dismembered. A child dies, it hurts, a child is intentionally killed it hurts more, a child is subjected to what this young boy was, it shreds me from the inside out. What should have been a happy joyous and proud occasion and day, walking towards home alone for the first time, destroyed in an instant by a disgusting coward.

When P.C. Ray Kelly spoke of it, it was evident that he himself was having a rough time speaking, I'd never seen him have difficulty in the past describe a crime or crime scene.

In the evening when they showed Levi Aron the accused, I wished him a horrible and painful death, in ways which I cannot write here because they are so monstrous in their own right.

They indicate he (Aron) went to work on Tuesday and behaved as if it were any other day. I have no tolerance or sympathy for the Levi Arons of this world.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 10:27 am
@Sturgis,
Horrible horrible
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 10:35 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

I don't normally fall apart but this time I did ....

Yes, I felt exactly the same way.

Reading, quicker, and quicker, not believing, my gut was turning over, it read like a piece of fiction.

Poor baby. Can't imagine what the family is going through, can't begin to imagine.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 10:57 am
Murder is always horrible to read about but when it is a child it magnifies the horror of it. It's just pure evil.
chai2

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 11:03 am
@Arella Mae,
They're already setting up the excuse that the murderer fell on his head when he was 9.
Arella Mae

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 11:05 am
@chai2,
Lord have mercy! It seems justice has lost it's meaning for some, doesn't it? I have a hard time trying to wrap my head around such things. Fell on his head? I am speechless.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 12:38 pm
This just made me cry. Can't even begin to imagine how his mother feels - having let him try to walk home alone for the first time and having had this happen to him? Can't even begin to imagine how she will feel if she watches the tape of him getting into the car.

It reminds me of the time I let my nine year old daughter ride the school bus for the first time when we'd moved into a new house in a new neighborhood. She was about nine, but I'd been dropping her off and picking her up every day. She wanted to ride the bus like a big girl - but she was a rather spacey child and I don't know, I just had this premonition. Anyway, I did let her, and I got home and she wasn't home. I knew the bus had dropped all the other kids off because I saw them outside playing. I drove up to the school and just as I was getting out of my car in the driveway thinking I'd go inside and call the police, a car drove up and out stepped my daughter. She'd gotten off at the wrong bus stop - couldn't figure out where she was- was sitting on the curb crying when this very kind man stopped to see what was the matter and when she told him her address, he drove her home.
I said, 'Olivia - you should NEVER get in a stranger's car,' but as soon as the words were out of my mouth I thought to myself, 'What else could she have done- sat on the curb crying til it got dark? She didn't know where she was or how to get home.'

Thank GOD this man who picked her up was a decent, kind person.

Poor little sad, lost boy...this is just too sad.
Arella Mae

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 12:44 pm
@aidan,
Just reading that scared me! I don't have children so I can't come close to imagining the fear you must have felt. Thank God your child is all right and thank God she has a parent that loves her.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 12:52 pm
Just what we need, a news story that will be taken as justification by the parents who refuse to ever let their kids off of the leash, and it will not matter how rare this is.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 12:59 pm
Quote:
In a written confession, Aron told police he and Leiby slept in separate rooms in his cramped attic apartment at 466 East 2nd Street in Kensington, Brooklyn. On his way to work Tuesday morning, Kelly said that Aron noticed his neighborhood plastered with missing child fliers. Aron told police that he became panicked.

After working his regular shift at a local hardware supply store, Aron returned home, fed the boy a tuna fish sandwich and then smothered him with a towel, he told detectives. Aron allegedly then dismembered the boy and put his body parts in plastic bags.

http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2011/07/14/leiby-kletzky-murder-after-abduction-suspect-says-he-took-boy-to-wedding/

A good place for a discussion on the law of unintended consequences. The law and order folks seem to not understand that heavy penalties for relatively minor bad acts are a motivator for going all the way into evil, as there is little or nothing to lose....in for a penny in for a pound.
aidan

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 01:00 pm
@Arella Mae,
Thank you Arella Mae. I just can't stop thinking about how this mother must be feeling and how she'll feel now for the rest of her life. My heart really just bleeds for her.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 01:10 pm
@aidan,
I remember when I let my daughter ride the bus for the first time alone. We were living in New Orleans and my daughter was just about 10 . I let her celebrate her independence with a trip to the zoo with some similar aged friends. She didnt have any idea that I was tailing the bus from Garden District to the zoo (it wasnt really that far). My wife laughed at me(but was glad I did it). I took an afternoon off and cancelled a lab class. The protective
feelings to your first borns are never lost. Sadly, the parents of this kid will have that eternal guilty feeling and be asking "what if I...?".

There is no God, but there is Satan.

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 01:18 pm
@farmerman,
Depending upon the year in NO you might have been justified...there have been years and areas of NO where crime was quite bad. Now that a great many of the poor blacks have cleared out (the Katrina Cleanse) , and also there has been some attempt to upgrade the police force, things are better now.
farmerman

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 01:25 pm
@hawkeye10,
Ya think?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 01:28 pm
@hawkeye10,
Poor blacks? The Katrina Cleanse? Just what is that supposed to mean? How do you know what their police force is like? Do you live in Louisiana even?
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 01:28 pm
@farmerman,
What makes this even sadder and more confusing than it would have been anyway is the fact that this guy just doesn't sound as if he had the sort of evilness or malice it'd take to be a Satan- what are the chances that your kid picks the one crazy guy driving down the street who'd out of the blue decide to kill and dismember someone - never having done anything even remotely like that in all his thirty-five years?

He didn't even have enough guile to try to hide what he did. What a horrible, horrible set of coincidental circumstances - that this kid was walking home alone on that day when that man had gone to the dentist and then took that particular wrong turn and ended up in this guys car.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 01:35 pm
@hawkeye10,
You know what Hawkeye - this sort of thing could happen anywhere. I learned to never be complacent about my kids' safety before they were even born when I was teaching in the Chapel Hill public schools.
Chapel Hill is a very upscale town full of doctors and lawyers, etc...and this little girl was walking to school through her very upscale neighborhood and she lagged a little bit behind her big brother and when he turned around she was gone - just vanished. They found her body hanging later in the apple orchard behind the school. And there wasn't a poor, black person in sight. When they found the killer - he wasn't poor and black- neither is this one.

How many poor, black kidnapper/murderer/abductors of children do you read about?
Give me a break.
You're just offensive sometimes.
farmerman

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 01:37 pm
@aidan,
ya think?
aidan

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 01:38 pm
@farmerman,
and I an.