8-year-old Leiby Kletzky murder

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 04:41 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Was he locked into the apartment while this guy was at work, or restrained? We dont know yet do we.....

Yes we do, he had rope marks on his body.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 04:45 pm
@Green Witch,
I agree, and really cringed that the kid's parents were afraid to let him walk home alone, he convinced them to let them, and then this happened the first time they did.

Poor guys, I hope they know they did nothing wrong.
aidan

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 04:39 am
@Linkat,
Quote:
You have a good heart.

Thank you Linkat. I think you do too.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 05:36 am
@Robert Gentel,
Through this entire horror with young Leiby I have been drawn back in time to the disappearance of Etan Patz more than 30 years ago. He too was going for his first walk alone. A first walk can be frightening, causing confusion and ultimately becoming lost by making a wrong, most are mercifully able to get help and be returned home.

With modern technology one would think there'd be a push to equip each child with either a tracking bracelet with a button to activate a 911 emergency response or device, one which looks like a cell phone but can only call 911 or the home number and has a tracking chip inside. What's far fetched about it? They have things for people in their homes to press if they take a fall, clearly the technology exists. These items ought to be offered free for all children, it would be well worth any tax increase to assure safety. Let's put the use of GPS to a good cause.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 04:09 pm
@Robert Gentel,
It is horrific.

Unfortunately, my bet is that they will never forgive themselves.

That 1 million or more other kids in the exact same scenario made it home OK will not convince them that they were simply incredibly unlucky.

As deeply religious people they have to be thinking about God's role in this tragedy.

It's hard to imagine how someone's faith can hold up against such an assault.

Either God has set the whole thing in motion and now whatever happens, happens or he controls each and every event.

I don't know which i would find more comforting if I were in their shoes.

It's more than any parent should ever have to go through and my heart breaks for them.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 07:06 pm
Parents of Leiby Kletzky Release Public Statement
By the Grace of G-d
Tammuz 19, 5771 / July 21, 2011

The traditional seven intense days of mourning (“shiva”) for our beloved Leiby are complete, but the ache in our hearts will remain forever.

We thank G-d for the nearly nine beautiful years that He entrusted us with Leiby’s pure soul. We are certain that Leiby is now looking down from heaven and blessing us all.

We would like to once again thank all our friends and neighbors; all the selfless volunteers from near and far; local, city, state, and federal agencies; and all our fellow New Yorkers and beyond who assisted us physically, emotionally, and spiritually—as well as all of G-d’s children around the world who held our dear Leiby in their thoughts and prayers.

We pray that none of you should ever have to live through what we did. But if any tragedy is to ever befall any of you, G-d forbid, you should be blessed with a community and public as supportive as ours. We feel that through Leiby we’ve become family with you all.

Many of you have asked us what you can do now in Leiby’s memory, and how you can help us find comfort. Looking back at Leiby’s all-too-short years among us, here are a few ideas:

Acts of unity and loving kindness. Let us perpetuate the feeling of collective responsibility and love expressed during the search for Leiby. An additional act of kindness toward your neighbor, or to those less fortunate than you, can go a long, long way toward perfecting our world. Putting a couple of coins into a charity box daily is one way of tangibly expressing that loving-kindness.

Gratitude. Leiby deeply cherished his siddur/prayerbook, and praying to G-d meant the world to him. He was known by his teachers for his concentration in prayer, always being the last to finish. In Leiby’s memory, when you wake up each morning take a few moments to pray, reflect, and thank G-d for giving us life.

Light. Every Friday evening our family sits down together for Shabbat dinner to the light of the Shabbat candles. A candle shines for each of our children—and Leiby’s candle will always be included. On Friday evening, please give a few coins to charity and light the candles before sunset with our beloved Leiby in mind.

Memorial fund. We have established a memorial fund to help people in dire need (www.leibykletzkymemorialfund.com), to channel the loving kindness shown to us and our dear Leiby toward many, many others in need. We welcome your participation.

From the deepest place in our hearts, we thank you all for your help, your support and your prayers. May Leiby’s soul live on as a blessing inside each and every one of you.

Sincerely,
Nachman and Itta Esty Kletzky

This is the link to the memorial fund established by the Kletzkys. Messages of condolence can also be posted there.
http://www.give2gether.com/projects/help-support-leiby-kletzky/

aidan

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 08:28 pm
@firefly,
What a beautiful response and legacy to create for their son so that his memory will not only elicit sadness.
Amazing people.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2011 10:14 pm
The D.A. appears determined not to accept a plea deal...
Quote:
The New York Times
August 4, 2011
In His Own Hand, a Suspect’s Account of a Grisly Crime
By LIZ ROBBINS

“My name is Levi Aron,” the writer began.

Then, in small, distinct print, and in short prosaic sentences on one full page of lined paper he submitted to the police, Mr. Aron told the story of how he had kidnapped, killed and systematically dismembered an 8-year-old boy who had gotten lost one afternoon in Brooklyn on the way back from camp and had sought his help.

Mr. Aron had taken to calling the boy by his first name, Leiby. But less than 36 hours later, Leiby Kletzky was dead, and at 8 a.m. on July 13, Mr. Aron, a 35-year-old hardware supply store clerk, was penning his confession in chilling, clinical detail.

The confession was part of a file of papers provided by the Brooklyn district attorney’s office to the defense as Mr. Aron was formally arraigned on Thursday on murder and kidnapping charges in State Supreme Court in Brooklyn.

The hearing lasted a few minutes; Mr. Aron, through his lawyers, pleaded not guilty.

A psychological exam arranged by the court concluded that Mr. Aron was competent to stand trial. His lawyers said they were considering an insanity defense.

In court, Mr. Aron displayed the dispassion evident in his writing. Shackled and dressed in a bright orange jail jumpsuit, he did not say a word. Nor did his eyes register a reaction to the plea as he faced Justice Neil J. Firetog.

The court filing added a dimension to what has been disclosed about Mr. Aron’s seemingly composed state after his arrest. It includes quips he made to detectives that day, including one observation: “I’m famous.”

Mr. Aron, who said he lived in an attic apartment in the same building in Kensington, Brooklyn, as his father, stepmother, two brothers and uncle, told a detective that he was “trying to get back into the Jewish religion.” But, according to the records, he acknowledged that he was not keeping kosher and that if the detectives were to get him food, he would eat McDonald’s. He ate Chinese food, instead.

When a female detective gave him a cigarette, Mr. Aron said: “This is a first. A woman holding my cigarette.”

Authorities said Leiby Kletzky had gotten lost July 11 walking for the first time back from his summer day camp in the insular Hasidic neighborhood of Borough Park, and Mr. Aron said he had asked for directions to a Judaica store. Mr. Aron agreed to give him a ride, but the boy changed his mind about going to the store, and accepted Mr. Aron’s invitation to join him that evening at the wedding of a cousin in Monsey, N.Y. Mr. Aron told the police that the boy went inside with him and ate dinner there, although previous reports indicated that Leiby had stayed in the car the whole time.

“Nobody asked me about the boy,” Mr. Aron told the police, referring to the wedding guests, according to the documents disclosed by prosecutors. Investigators are still trying to determine the accuracy of some of Mr. Aron’s statements.

Mr. Aron said he drove Leiby to his apartment. At work the next day, Mr. Aron said, he panicked when he saw fliers about the missing boy, which offered a reward. When Mr. Aron returned to his apartment, Leiby was there waiting for him.

As if writing a medical report, Mr. Aron described how he dismembered the boy’s body, placing parts in his freezer. He said he showered, cleaned up a little, and showered again. He then put some of the body parts in a suitcase, drove around about 20 minutes with it and left it in a trash bin. “Then went home to clean and organize,” he wrote.

In a statement Thursday after Mr. Aron was found fit to stand trial, Charles J. Hynes, the Brooklyn district attorney, said, “I want to reaffirm that this case will go to trial and that there are absolutely no circumstances which would lead me to accept a plea bargain.”

Mr. Aron’s defense team, Pierre Bazile and Jennifer L. McCann, asked that Mr. Aron be held at Bellevue Hospital Center for further evaluation and for his own safety. Justice Firetog said that was up to the corrections department.

Mr. Bazile said that “we believe him to have some psychiatric disorders” and said that the court-ordered psychological exam found that Mr. Aron had been hearing voices. The police documents report that Mr. Aron said those voices were “telling him to take his own life for what he did.”

His next court appearance is scheduled for Oct. 14.

Outside the courtroom, Assemblyman Dov Hikind, who had attended the hearing, grew emotional when asked about the possibility that Mr. Aron’s lawyers would use an insanity defense.

“That would be an absolute tragedy, because that would indicate that that man that I saw this morning a few moments ago is not responsible for what he did,” Mr. Hikind said. “I don’t believe that for a second, and I don’t think anybody else believes that.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/05/nyregion/suspects-admission-of-killing-leiby-kletzky-filed-in-court.html?_r=1

You can read his confession here--it is very graphic. It does not mention the drugging of the child
Quote:
Levi Aron Confession in Leiby Kletzky Killing

The confession of Levi Aron, charged with the kidnapping and murder of 8-year-old Leiby Kletzky, contains graphic descriptions of brutal acts. The document has been entered into evidence by the prosecution. Mr. Aron plead not guilty to the killings and kidnapping charges
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/08/04/nyregion/20110805-levi-aron-confession.html
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 10:16 am
What was the conclusion? How does this case compare to the recent one in Colorado?
0 Replies