The 2012 Presidential Election Discussion Thread

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 05:30 pm
Sozobe started a thread 5 years ago: Obama '08. 2000 pages, 40,000 posts and 586,000 views later comes a new thread focusing on the election in 2011.
While I would hope that it will be a civil conversation, I know from experience it can and probably will get a bit personally nasty and many would be participants will disappear. I hope that that prospect will not deter people from joining in. A2K has an Ignore option and a Thumbs Down option.
Perhaps the folks hurling insults at each other on Obama '08 could continue doing so there and leave the rest of us out of it.
In addition, there is a thread entitled The Race For The Race For The White House. It is all about the contest to select a Republican nominee. So far it has been a bit sleepy but largely free of acrimony.
We hope to see you here
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 32 • Views: 31,801 • Replies: 397

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 05:45 pm
@realjohnboy,
RJB, did I hear you correctly, that Obama is planning on announcing his intention to run again early next month?

Cycloptichorn
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 05:50 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
April 14th. Chicago. It's a formality, of course, tied to - as with other candidates - when they can turn their fundraisers loose.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 05:50 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Yes, he did, and thanks for the link, Cyclo. Will bm for now.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 06:27 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

It is all about the contest to select a Republican nominee.

Herman Cain looks like he has a shot at it.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
msolga

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 07:18 pm
@realjohnboy,
Bookmark.
Looking forward to following contributions to this thread, RJB.
Quote:
I would hope that it will be a civil conversation

Me too.
Good luck!
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 07:18 pm
On the Obama '08 thread I was asked what I thought about Obama's chances of getting reelected. I said it was obviously too early to say, but I asked that - if someone had the time - the electoral vote map and the popular vote and electoral vote by state in 2008 might be interesting to look at.
I hope someone can do that.
Soon, I promise, I will learn how to do that sort of thing.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 07:29 pm
RJB - Soz's thread was such a success because she was a person interested in the idea of Obama. There were threads for other candidates too. I too would like to discuss the topic, but until a republican/conservative comes forth and ante's up with a candidate they are interested in and can say why, neither of us are going to get that thread.

I feel like the political climate in the GOP is such that the people understand that they are waiting for the inner circle elites to tell them who they are voting for. The only conservative candidate that a person will go out of their way to praise is Ron Paul. There is no enthusiasm in the GOP right now. What enthusiasm is to be found exists in birther and islamaphobic sound bytes. If you're a Joe average moderate conservative, you're probably not too excited about the prospects. I doubt that means they vote for Obama, but it could be enough to have people stay home.

A
R
T
Below viewing threshold (view)
JTT

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 08:25 pm
@Renaldo Dubois,
Quote:
I think Donald Duck makes about as much sense as BO does at this point.

What you're really trying to say is that you think it's time for another Republican president.
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 08:28 pm
@msolga,
Good Tuesday evening or Wednesday morning to you in Aus, msolga.
I know that you followed the thread about our U.S. midterm elections last year. Amazingly, while it was out there for all to see, we kept that sucker under the radar. Only a handful of political junkies participated and I got some nice comments from non-Americans about our coverage.
I wish that this thread would turn out the same way, but I doubt that that will happen. Someone will make a half-witted attempt at humor and someone else will snarl and then there will be a race to get the last insult in.
So it goes.
By the way, I have been off this past weekend following the election in Germany (Merkel suffered a set-back) and what's happening in Canada. Anywhere else I should be watching?
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 08:39 pm
@realjohnboy,
I like to follow these threads, but I stay out of the discussion as much as I can. That way, I keep out of trouble and I get to see what my favorite political people think.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 08:42 pm
@realjohnboy,
G'day, RJB.
Quote:
By the way, I have been off this past weekend following the election in Germany (Merkel suffered a set-back) and what's happening in Canada. Anywhere else I should be watching?

That's what I usually ask you, RJB! Wink
Not that I'm aware of.
(Though there was a state election in Oz last weekend which could have big ramifications for federal Labor. Not a exactly big deal issue for most here, though.)
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 09:37 pm
Here's the layout for Obama's campaign team:

http://nationaljournal.com/whitehouse/obama-finalizes-reelection-plans-20110329

0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 10:31 pm
Not much of a suprise, Obama running again. No one on the republican side to vote for from what I can see.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 10:45 pm
@RABEL222,
Isn't Gingrich in the running? The same Gingrich who says Obama could be impeached for reversing gay marriage?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 11:32 pm
@realjohnboy,
Here.

I'm living with reading stuff I can hardly believe, but have nothing useful to add right now.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 06:24 am
No Frontrunner in Slow-Starting GOP Race

Quote:
Barack Obama currently fares as well against a generic opponent in the upcoming presidential election as George W. Bush did in April 2003, a time when Bush’s job approval rating was much higher than Obama’s is today. He also tests considerably better than Bill Clinton did in March 1995.

Nearly half (47%) of registered voters say they would like to see Barack Obama reelected, while 37% say they would prefer to see a Republican candidate win the 2012 election, according to the survey by the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press conducted March 8-14 among 1,525 adults. In April 2003, 48% of registered voters said they would like to see Bush reelected in 2004; 34% said they would prefer to see a Democrat win.

0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 06:41 am
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

RJB - Soz's thread was such a success because she was a person interested in the idea of Obama.

Thanks! I also actively curated it for a while -- I basically stopped as soon as the election was over.

As in, I think that if rjb wants to actively curate, that would make a difference.

But I do agree that having someone interested in a specific candidate can be an animating factor.

failures art wrote:
I feel like the political climate in the GOP is such that the people understand that they are waiting for the inner circle elites to tell them who they are voting for. [....] There is no enthusiasm in the GOP right now.

I tend to agree with this. I was thinking about this the other day, wondering about the cause and effect of it. Are more-promising candidates staying out because they don't think they have a good chance of beating Obama, and they don't want to be branded losers their first time out? Or do they just not exist?
0 Replies