The 2012 Presidential Election Discussion Thread

Fido

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 03:31 pm
@Renaldo Dubois,
Renaldo Dubois wrote:

I don't see how anyone can vote for Obama again. Gitmo is still open. Unemployment is too high. Home prices in free fall and no one can get a loan. Now he's attacking a muslim nation that was no direct threat.

Obama is a liar. You lefties got fooled once again.
You must understand that first of all, we love to be lied to, and that the only way any person can be elected is to prove first that they are corrupt...Mr. Obama is an attorney, and those people have a mindset, and the belief that law, and the government behind the law must work... Law is a form, and a formal way of viewing the world, but since law obviously does not work to achieve justice it is a contradiction to support it only because we have nothing with which to replace it... Law and the government it supports is the ultimate corruption of human values and meanings... I am not saying all government is bad, but no government that does not make a constant issue of justice, and tempers justice only to the extent that survival is endangered by it can be legitimate... Obama is corrupt and without morals, but we are demoralized enough to have some appreciation of him... Don't you think that sooner or later we'll need a better reason to elect some on than that the other guy is worse???
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 04:28 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

Obama won the Electoral College vote over McCain by 365-173.
I found 5 states which Obama carried by about 5% or less in the popular vote, winning their electoral votes:
Florida (27 electoral votes) {Obama won by 2.5%}
Indiana (11) {.9%}
North Carolina (15) {.4%}
Ohio (20) {4%}
Virginia (13) {6.3%} ---okay, it's my home state---

If the Repubs were to win those states there would be a shift of 86 electoral votes, leaving Obama at 279-259.

If anyone is interested in electoral vote numbers, I need to make an adjustment to what I wrote yesterday.
Obama won the Electoral College vote by a comfortable margin of 365-173 in 2008. But we in the U.S. had the census which resulted in some states growing while others lost population. Due to that, if Obama and a Repub candidate won or lost the same states as they did in 2008, the margin would be 359-179. Dem states like PA, OH, MI lost population like FL, TX gained population and electoral votes.
Making adjustments to the post I made yesterday, the Repubs would pick up another 4 electoral votes due to the value of any state that flips beyond what I suggested above.

Bottom line: The race is tied.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 04:30 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:

Laughing I don't know if I'd go that far. Pretty much ever contender who is being considered isn't polling well against Obama. What more, the Republicans in OH and FL seem to be doing everything they can to piss off their population; their governors and legislatures, all heavily R, have tanked in approval in the last few months. That doesn't bode well for the election chances of their party's candidate in those states; and without winning both FL and OH, the Republican candidate won't be able to beat Obama, period.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 04:33 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
What I'd like to see is who is getting blamed for congress' low job rating? It's the lowest in some 30 years, and there are mixed messages galore when it comes to voter sentiment.
realjohnboy

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 04:39 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I was asked, 18 months before the election and with no official Repub candidates, how I thought things were shaping up. I am confident it was intended as a flippant comment.
I was reviewing the Census stuff and came across a few articles I used for my posts above.
I'm just killing time while waiting for some Repub to make the leap.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 04:41 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

I was asked, 18 months before the election and with no official Repub candidates, how I thought things were shaping up. I am confident it was intended as a flippant comment.
I was reviewing the Census stuff and came across a few articles I used for my posts above.
I'm just killing time while waiting for some Repub to make the leap.

They are all being rather timid, aren't they? At this point, Obama is going to announce his re-election before we have a single serious contender on the other side. I'm young compared to some of you guys, but I don't remember that ever happening in the last 15 years.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 04:56 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

H2O MAN wrote:

Fido, I think I agree with you

Quote:
As if his non commital leadership was not evidence enough that he was planning on running... Wouldn't it be cool if some democrate had the nerve to stand up, call a spade a spade, and damn the republicans to hell and back???

As if the world were not already frightening enough..

Scary ain't it..
Fido

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 06:39 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:

Laughing I don't know if I'd go that far. Pretty much ever contender who is being considered isn't polling well against Obama. What more, the Republicans in OH and FL seem to be doing everything they can to piss off their population; their governors and legislatures, all heavily R, have tanked in approval in the last few months. That doesn't bode well for the election chances of their party's candidate in those states; and without winning both FL and OH, the Republican candidate won't be able to beat Obama, period.

Cycloptichorn
What Mr. Obama has going for him is what Mr. Bush had going for him.... Men especially, but women as well hate to admit to having made a mistake... I am certain many feel they have made a mistake who will resent mightily being told they made a mistake by the republicans, and what the republican have to offer is little better by any lens...It is hard to attack a candidate without attacking the people who voted for him... Mr. Bush was a dimwit, a dolt, a dunce, and a clown... No one could call him that without painting those who elected him with the same brush... He was scared, and had every reason to be scared; but Kerry was putty in the hands of Carl Rove, and is nothing but a secondrate idiot... So what if he would have made a better president... Just about anyone would have made a better president than Mr. Bush...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 06:52 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

What I'd like to see is who is getting blamed for congress' low job rating? It's the lowest in some 30 years, and there are mixed messages galore when it comes to voter sentiment.
What you have to reckon is the tipping point where ever after, no one will give a bit of their authority to government and congress, and will ever after seek to form new relationships giving nothing of their lives to the old economy, religion, and government... Some day, people will have had enough; and though I long ago reached that point, and more people reach it every day... I doubt the intelligence and good will of the tea partiers, but I do not doubt their frustration and anger... And with that in front, now we can talk about what sort of relationship might be acceptable to both of us... What is their philosophy of government... What is the goal of government in their eyes... Clearly, the government as it stands is not getting it for any of us, but our frstration with it is inhibited by our fear of the future which we cannot imagine without law and order...Better than revolution is a reformation much as occured when the Constitution was written in the shaddow of the articles of confederation... We should do the same, starting fresh, government first, and revolution after...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 06:54 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

Fido wrote:

H2O MAN wrote:

Quote:
As if his non commital leadership was not evidence enough that he was planning on running... Wouldn't it be cool if some democrate had the nerve to stand up, call a spade a spade, and damn the republicans to hell and back???

Scary ain't it..
Big pucker factor... Lucky for me I am as slow to anger as to fright...
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 07:18 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

H2O MAN wrote:

Fido wrote:

H2O MAN wrote:

Quote:

Scary ain't it..
Big pucker factor... Lucky for me I am as slow to anger as to fright...
We have that in common.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 07:25 am

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ZoNI8ooKxyY/TXTiJ4qIPPI/AAAAAAAAMag/oVaK_HypLqE/s1600/Deconstructing-Obama.jpg
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 10:09 am
@H2O MAN,
"What matters with California?" The GOP is cutting spending by reducing the funding for our schools, and we're already 47th in the country with the lowest per student spending. The GOP is out to kill out country one by one with their "no more taxes" meme. They're holding our state hostage by demanding more spending cuts without raising taxes. They are not capable of governing, because their one-track mind is to cut spending without looking at revenue. They are on a destructive path that will affect all citizens of this state.

Why do they hold so much power? They are the minority party in California.
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 10:16 am
@cicerone imposter,

They told me there would be big economic trouble and more
war in the middle east if I voted for McCain... they were right.
RABEL222

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 02:21 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Is it my imagination or are Spendus, Ican and waterman becoming more and more irrational. I havent understood any of their last posts.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 02:33 pm
@RABEL222,
When they live by the conservative talking points of less taxes without looking at how that will destroy this country, it explains why they never look into the rhetoric of their party leaders. There's no cure for stupid. When the federal deficit continues to grow, we will end up like Greece, Spain, Italy, Ireland, and Portugal; bankrupt. We don't have a Germany to bail us out.
H2O MAN

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 06:15 am
@cicerone imposter,

Liberal extremist and their talking points manipulate the dumbasses.
Fido

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 06:23 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

They told me there would be big economic trouble and more
war in the middle east if I voted for McCain... they were right.
I other words: They told you nothing would change if you voted for McCain, and they were right... If they told you things would change if you voted for Obama, they were lying.... It is the fact that we feel change is within our grasp that keeps everything the same... Ultimately, we feel responsible, and whether I point that responsibility in your direction, or you point it in mine, our collective sense that we are are responible keeps us from actually changing things, joining the revolution, or forming a mob... And I am not suggesting that any one should actually form a mob... If we all resisted doing as others do because they do it; and we all acted as we believe we are, as individuals, then the whole society would go in a thousand different directions at once....
djjd62

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 06:25 am
@H2O MAN,
so have the conservatives, no party is excluded from exaggerating a position or idea to sway voters
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 06:26 am
@Fido,
I'm not saying McCain was the best the right has to offer, but a McCain presidency would probably have been much, much better than the growing oppression of Obama.