The 2012 Presidential Election Discussion Thread

Below viewing threshold (view)
Fido

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 03:25 pm
@firefly,
Too bad; he was a first class idiot and no one was better to represent the republirobots than he.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 03:42 pm
@Fido,
An idiot supporting a racial bigot; makes a whole lot of sense for the GOP.
0 Replies

EqualityFLSTPete

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 06:28 pm
Last I heard Perry was in last place last night at -8. He is out, but he endorsed Newt.

Bye-bye Perry.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 07:19 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Oh, really? The degree at best shows you have learned the process of thinking and can sustain following through on tasks.

This is the problem with going to a university costing a zillion dollars. A degree is conflated with job market potential.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 09:04 pm
Some students here in CA are floating the idea of paying 5% of your future income to the university, per year, for 20 years, in lieu of tuition.

It certainly would incentivize colleges to help educate people in ways that are profitable.

Cycloptichorn
georgeob1

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 11:13 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Interesting idea., and I think you have correctly hit on the failure of universities to manage their costs and deliver a product worth the fees they charge. However it is eeven more interesting to me that no one seems to have focused on the obvious long-term consequence of government operated programs, designed to attract low cost capital to student loan programs, in creating a bubble in university costs and tuition just as a similar programs created a bubble in housing prices and valuations. By diverting money and subsidized capital to pay tuition costs with long term loans on the backs of students, the government, perhaps without intending it, removed price and cost management pressure from the universities that were raking in all the money.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 12:17 am
@georgeob1,
Well, Deregulation of tuition on the state level, combined with policies that automatically admit the top percentages of a growing population, don't help either.

Cycloptichorn
Fido

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 08:45 am
@EqualityFLSTPete,
EqualityFLSTPete wrote:

Last I heard Perry was in last place last night at -8. He is out, but he endorsed Newt.

Bye-bye Perry.
You may have heard the last of Perry, but his stupidity will sound in the echo chambers that pass for republiroyal brains FOR EVVVEEERRRR...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 08:48 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Some students here in CA are floating the idea of paying 5% of your future income to the university, per year, for 20 years, in lieu of tuition.

It certainly would incentivize colleges to help educate people in ways that are profitable.

Cycloptichorn
There is not one efffin thing done in this society without an eye to profit... I built a lot of hospitals in my day and no matter how much they were needed by their communities, and society, not a single one was started without some great desire and expectation for profit...
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 10:01 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Well, Deregulation of tuition on the state level, combined with policies that automatically admit the top percentages of a growing population, don't help either.

Cycloptichorn

I'm not clear on your meaning here. The tuition private universities charge is not and has never been regulated by the government. State universities are operated by the government and charge fees as determined by the combined actions of the state legislators who appropriate them money and the administrators of the universities themselves.

Both have seen the pressures on them to limit the growth of their cost significantly reduced by the massive government direction of capital to student loan markets which has had effects on tuition similar to those we saw on housing prices under analogous circumstances. In the real world the unanticipated side effects of even well-intended government programs often defeat their intended purpose.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 10:16 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

I'm not clear on your meaning here. The tuition private universities charge is not and has never been regulated by the government. State universities are operated by the government and charge fees as determined by the combined actions of the state legislators who appropriate them money and the administrators of the universities themselves.

That depends on the State. In TX, where I went to school, the state abdicated their authority to set tuition and fees to the regents of UT; fees and tuition promptly began to rise dramatically afterward. It also allows the regents to aggressive channel lower and middle income students to satellite campuses and away from UT Austin, which now charges a significantly higher rate of tuition and fees than other, smaller UT schools.

Cycloptichorn
georgeob1

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 10:43 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Well the administrators of state universities are employees of the state and agents of its government. So the actions you described were taksn by the government of Texas.

Most states have two or three tiered university systems, and all involve continuing struggles over the proper role, size and cost of each.

I don't know the details of the situation you describe and don't have an opinion about it. However, I don't see where any abandonment of government regulation was involved at all. On ther contrary, this was a direct action of the government.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 10:47 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Well the administrators of state universities are employees of the state and agents of its government. So the actions you described were taksn by the government of Texas.

Um. They aren't accountable to the legislature or voters for the rates they set. So I don't think it's a direct correlation with what you are saying.

Quote:
Most states have two or three tiered university systems, and all involve continuing struggles over the proper role, size and cost of each.

I don't know the details of the situation you describe and don't have an opinion about it. However, I don't see where any abandonment of government regulation was involved at all. On ther contrary, this was a direct action of the government.

The direct action of government was to abdicate control of the tuition and fee rates to an unelected and unaccountable, private board? I guess if you want words to mean whatever you want them to, you can make any argument you wish.

Cycloptichorn
georgeob1

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 11:23 am
@Cycloptichorn,
The regents of the state university are appointed usually by the governor and are removable from office by him and/or the legislature. In short they are accountable to the government.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 09:02 am
Steve Rattner analyses the proposed tax plans of Obama, Romney and Gingrich. The focus here is only on the tax side, not how they'll look at spending. (Commercial and other stuff first)
www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036789/ns/msnbc_tv-morning_joe/#46112950-
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 10:00 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

Clearly Barack Obama is like a cancer.
This country can still be saved, but only if the cancer is
isolated and removed, before doing any more damage.

::Obviously a brain cancer for you; but if you lose any more it will mean more than wet pampers for you.
parados

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 11:37 am
@H2O MAN,
Quote:
You do realize that Obamacare would provide you with a pill and kick you to the curb...

That must be in the same provision that creates death panels.

Meanwhile.. back in reality for the rest of us....