The 2012 Presidential Election Discussion Thread

revelette

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 10:22 am
On the republican thread High Seas brought up the idea of Hillary running against Obama. I can't think of anything worse for democrats than to have a fight similar to what is going on now in the republican primary which is probably why the idea seems to be floating in republican circles.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 10:43 am

The US economy grew half as fast last year as it did the previous year.

Obama has done nothing to grow the US economy, his polices are meant to kill the US economy.

The tiny growth that our economy has seen over the past 24 months is in spite of Obama.

Go ahead and elect this ass clown to a second term... allow him to
ruin the US economy and her peoples future forever - go ahead.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 12:11 pm
@H2O MAN,
waterboy wrote,
Quote:
Obama has done nothing to grow the US economy, his polices are meant to kill the US economy.

Back up your stupid claim with facts. You can't, because you are too goddam ignorant!
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 12:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
From the NYT this morning:
Quote:
U.S. Recovery Slowly Gained Speed in Late ’11, Data Show

The American economy picked up steam last quarter, with output growing at an annualized rate of 2.8 percent, a faster rate than the 1.8 percent of the third quarter.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 01:53 pm
@H2O MAN,
I'm not upset; I'm only challenging your ignorance. You should be embarrassed by your own stupid and ignorant postings.
RABEL222

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 03:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Dont many ignorant people think they are mensa candidates.
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 03:30 pm
@RABEL222,
Ci fits into that group for sure.
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 03:31 pm

Military plan to delay submarine, engine projects could hurt Connecticut towns

Quote:
In addition to the submarines, the new Pentagon plan would slow procurement of the controversial F-35 Joint Strike Fighter. This hits home in Connecticut, since the engine is made at United Technologies' Pratt & Whitney in Connecticut. Dozens of states, though, are involved in the production of the F-35 -- part of the reason conversations about slowing or halting the project are met with resistance.

Several other companies in Connecticut rely heavily on the Pentagon's budget decisions. Among them are Sikorsky Aircraft, which makes helicopters, and General Electric, which among other things makes engines for those helicopters.

Sheridan said it doesn't appear as if Sikorsky or GE are impacted by the latest cuts, though he said the impact on Pratt & Whitney "certainly is a concern."

While lawmakers have expressed concern about the possibility of the New London submarine base being caught up in base closures, Sheridan said he doubts that would happen. Since the latest round of cuts would be made with an eye toward deficit reduction, Sheridan said closing the sub base is unlikely as it could end up costing the Pentagon more money .
realjohnboy

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 05:12 pm
@H2O MAN,
I have mentioned, H2O, that I believe Congress told the Pentagon to cut their budget by something like $500Bn over 10 years.
Is that true or not?
This is not a subject I have been following closely yet. I asked for assistance on covering this, but no one has yet to respond.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 05:14 pm
@H2O MAN,
I’m thrilled you’re a republican; I’d be embarrassed if you were not.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 05:17 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

Military plan to delay submarine, engine projects could hurt Connecticut towns

Quote:
In addition to the submarines, the new Pentagon plan would slow procurement of the controversial F-35 Joint Strike Fighter. This hits home in Connecticut, since the engine is made at United Technologies' Pratt & Whitney in Connecticut. Dozens of states, though, are involved in the production of the F-35 -- part of the reason conversations about slowing or halting the project are met with resistance.

Several other companies in Connecticut rely heavily on the Pentagon's budget decisions. Among them are Sikorsky Aircraft, which makes helicopters, and General Electric, which among other things makes engines for those helicopters.

Sheridan said it doesn't appear as if Sikorsky or GE are impacted by the latest cuts, though he said the impact on Pratt & Whitney "certainly is a concern."

While lawmakers have expressed concern about the possibility of the New London submarine base being caught up in base closures, Sheridan said he doubts that would happen. Since the latest round of cuts would be made with an eye toward deficit reduction, Sheridan said closing the sub base is unlikely as it could end up costing the Pentagon more money .

GO BIG GOVERNMENT!!! YEAH!!!
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 05:35 pm
@jcboy,
Ditto!
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 05:35 pm
@InfraBlue,
Very sad
farmerman

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 05:41 pm
@H2O MAN,
went a bit over yer head spurt
realjohnboy

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 05:45 pm
Cure For Insomnia Found
I tried, Tak, to read through the Department of Commerce's report today for an hour or so. Very complicated bunch of data that can be easily spun to prove or disprove a point.
>2011 was not as good as 2010, but compare that to 2008, Bush's final year in office. His 4th Q had a -9% annualized growth rate vs the +2.8% in the 4th Q, 2011.
>Auto sales, I guess because they are big ticket, apparently is of some concern to the economists who track this. The timing of them can skew the numbers.
> Similarly, who is doing the buying is an issue. Consumers is one thing while factories and stores stocking up on stuff is considered to be not as good.
> Finally, there is a note about how much less government spending there has been on the local, state and federal level and how much of a negative impact that has. That is good, right?

ps: Can we move any further discussion to the "Where Is The Economy Headed" thread? Thank you.
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 06:11 pm
@farmerman,
Walked right over it, I did.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 06:24 pm
@realjohnboy,
John, All levels of government have been cutting jobs in 2011; that's the reason 2011 was not as good as 2010, but you must also understand that all those governments are also broke with less tax revenues. It was a do or die year for most governments. With all those lost government jobs, consumer spending will necessarily take a hit. However, civilian employment has been improving during 2011 - and government unemployment stats have dropped.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/imposter222/2011unemploymentchart.png

The net addition of jobs is dramatic in my books, and a good sign of our economy's recovery. It seems the stock market is bullish this month in support of what we can expect in 2012.

0 Replies