The 2012 Presidential Election Discussion Thread

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 12:38 pm
@Fido,
Haven't you noticed that waterboy makes statements he is unable to prove with any facts; just outright bull shite that belongs to a ten year old. He doesn't understand facts or proof, just innuendos in his own brain that calcified into cancer.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Fido

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 08:35 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:
You do realize that Obamacare would provide you with a pill and kick you to the curb...

That must be in the same provision that creates death panels.

Meanwhile.. back in reality for the rest of us....
The worst thing about Obamacare is that it changed so little that it is accurate to say it changed nothing...
revelette

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 10:15 am
@Fido,
Quote:
The worst thing about Obamacare is that it changed so little that it is accurate to say it changed nothing...

That is because some of it has not come into play yet but there are more benefits than people realize.

Health care reform is improving lives
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 10:43 am
Last night's SOTU speech by Obama was, in my mind, a little pedestrian. I was hoping for something with a greater overall theme, but it was more of a Clintonian laundry list of things Obama would like to get done, but won't get done. I do think it will frame the upcoming year very well and allow him to demonize his opponents to the maximum amount possible, which of course I dearly hope he does.

However, initial polling and dial-testing on the speech seems to have been very positive for the prez -

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/political-animal/2012_01/initial_polling_on_sotu_appear034983.php

Cycloptichorn
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 11:44 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Last night's SOTU speech by Obama was, in my mind, a little pedestrian.

That's an understatement... last night's campaign speech was a giant turd.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 11:55 am
@Cycloptichorn,
At least facts were at his side. I like the point about how we are , at long last at 51 % domestic v foreign oil.
The Puggies like spurt have nothing to do but make up bullshit and post their fony websites that deny facts.

I thought the speech was as good as any of them ever made. Remember, Obama is fairly secure among his side and the Conservatives wont vote for him anyway.
Hes getting his licks in with the independents and Moderate Publicans who are actually afraid of the INSANE CLOWN POSSE that the GOP is foisting on us now.

Were a Xhris Christie or Daniels running, Id actually stop and think about it, but with the ICP (see above) its not even close
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 11:59 am
@farmerman,
I wrote to President Obama before the speech, and told him what I thought needed saying, and he covered most of what I wrote. However, as Cyclo has said, it was too Clintonian, and it's not about to move any GOP into his way of thinking - especially at this point in our politics.

I give him a B+, because his "team effort" notions will never come to fruition with the current GOP congress.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 12:00 pm

Nothing but lies from Obama last night... lies on top of lies.
parados

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 12:41 pm
@H2O MAN,
Your posts are proving him right spurt.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 12:47 pm

Obama repeating the lies
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 12:54 pm
This was my email to President Obama before his SOU as a response to an email I received from him:

Quote:
Dear President Obama, I and my wife will certainly tune in to your SOU address to our country and the world. I hope I hear some confidence and resilience in your speech that overlooks what the conservatives want or demand. You need to show what is important for our country's future; the maintenance of our infrastructure, and full support of our educational system. What is also important is the fair sharing of the company's profits for all the workers, and not the enrichment of a few.

There needs to be a shift in wealth that continues to favor the already rich while the middle class and poor struggle to put food on the table, shelter their families, and to live in reasonable comfort - in the richest country in the world.

That's not asking for too much in a country that wants to retain its world leadership position.

Thank you, and good luck on your speech.
Below viewing threshold (view)
realjohnboy

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 04:58 pm
Obama's Secretary of Defense, Leon Panetta, announced plans to cut $487Bn in our military's spending over the next 10 years including $33Bn in the current or next budget year.
The plan calls for reducing the number of soldiers by 100K as well cutting equipment.
Any comments?
And any specific details about the plan would be appreciated.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 05:07 pm
@realjohnboy,
Yea, it's about time! We don't need the largest military in the world; it's not our responsibility to keep everybody else safe, and forget about our own security.
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 05:18 pm
@realjohnboy,

It's not that Leon wanted to do this, Obama's out of control spending forced
him to do this and it only puts this country and her allies further at risk.
realjohnboy

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 05:24 pm
@H2O MAN,
Where did the mandate for the Defense Dept cut by $487Bn come from, H2O? Wasn't it Congress?
Would you be willing, H2O, to do some homework on how many military people we have and where they are? It shouldn't take too long. That would be useful to have before the debate in an hour and a half. Thanks.
JTT

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 07:54 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
it's not our responsibility to keep everybody else safe,

That's all part of the Big Lie, CI. You oughta know better than that.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 04:37 am
@realjohnboy,

Following his long-awaited announcement detailing a proposal for massive defense spending cuts and an overall reduction in military personnel, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta revealed his list of the risks and the most pressing threats to America's security.

"This is going to be tough," Panetta told reporters Thursday. "Obviously it will be a smaller force, and when you have a smaller force there are risks associated with that in terms of our capability to respond."

So in the near future where will the world’s strongest military need to respond?

Panetta says there's a long list of potential problems. Among his top concerns, he says, are: the ongoing war in Afghanistan; the threat of terrorism; the Federally Administered Tribal Areas of Pakistan; Yemen; a nuclear-capable Iran; a nuclear-capable North Korea; proliferation of weapons of mass destruction; turmoil in the Middle East, and the potential for cyber warfare.

The U.S. military's ground forces, specifically the Army and Marines are slated to lose nearly 100,000 troops. The Army will shrink to 490,000 troops down from the current 562,000. The Marines will shrink by 20,000, down to 182,000.

But retired Maj. Gen. Bob Scales says the Pentagon is ignoring the lessons of history.

"Every administration since the fall of the Berlin wall has been trying to cut heavy forces," Scales said in an interview with Fox News on Thursday. "So should we ever face a conventional enemy again - and we will - the chances are very high that we'll march off to war with a force that isn’t heavy enough to fight sustained land combat."

The Pentagon says its new emphasis will be on smaller more nimble Special Operations forces, like the Navy SEALs who carried out the Usama bin Laden raid last year and a daring hostage rescue in Somalia this week, the latter carried out as the president and Defense Department prepared to announce the new cuts.

Among those threats on the horizon, Panetta did not mention China, despite the fact that much of the new military strategy is focused on an increased force presence in the Asia Pacific region. U.S. officials have watched closely as China rapidly grows its own military. In the past year, it managed to test fly a stealth fighter jet and launch its first aircraft carrier.

Even so, mentioning China as a threat would be a mistake. Not only is the U.S. military shifting away from an ability to fight a land war in Asia, it also maintains a very fragile military relationship with China, often soured by U.S. weapons sales to Taiwan.

If one thing is for certain in the Pentagon, it's uncertainly. As Panetta's predecessor, Robert Gates, often said, the Pentagon has a consistent record in predicting wars. “We have never once gotten it right.”
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 04:43 am

Another way to look at this is that Obama will be adding more than
100K people to the number of unemployed citizens in the country.
0 Replies