Feedback Thread: Discussion (>'.')> <('.'<)

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 03:54 am
On another topic planned features/projects are listed and users can vote on them to influence priority. In order keep the ballot clean no posts are permitted, so this topic serves as the companion discussion topic where any questions can be asked, grievances aired, and feats of strength performed.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 23 • Views: 13,984 • Replies: 215

Izzie

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 04:04 am
@Robert Gentel,
How do we vote then... do we just write down our priority wish list?

If so...
1) Photos
2) PMs
3) Chat

dlowan

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 04:11 am
@Izzie,
I would suspect thumbs up the option you most wish to see implemented first.

That is what I just did.

Though I guess that is subject to feckless thumbing behaviour!
jespah

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 04:37 am
@dlowan,
My vote is to eliminate the graffitti tags, as Mods end up doing a lot of tagging and trying to override the graffitti.
electronicmail

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 05:59 am
@jespah,
Mods = moderators? Are they also posters? If they are why are their tags not graffiti tags? Do they also get to mess with "popularity" rankings? I've an open question on that one http://able2know.org/topic/152761-2#post-4188201 nobody answered it so far.

I stopped posting after that but I'm back because I see an honest effort by Robert Gentel to fix this Animal Farm A2K forum aspect. I got nothing against any philosophy forum members because I can't tell them apart from any other members. But I think it's counterproductive to have some posters more equal than others. One of those haughtily told me "WE respect <insert name here> ". WE? Who's WE? Parenthetically the <insert name here> poster was an obvious idiot with nothing to contribute. As were some the other "WEs" who piled on to the thread, one honestly calling those "WEs" a "posse". Cancelling A2K "posses" imho is way to go.
djjd62

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 06:50 am
@electronicmail,
electronicmail wrote:
One of those haughtily told me "WE respect <insert name here> ". WE? Who's WE? Parenthetically the <insert name here> poster was an obvious idiot with nothing to contribute. As were some the other "WEs" who piled on to the thread, one honestly calling those "WEs" a "posse". Cancelling A2K "posses" imho is way to go.

we are we

you are you

they are they

she is she

he is he

this isn't some magical fairy land where everybody has to listen and respect each other, rather than worry about the response to your posts, just keep posting and damn the torpedoes

does everyone in the real world hang on your every word, i doubt it
electronicmail

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 07:30 am
@djjd62,
Who's worrying? I'm not. The only worriers I see here are the handwringing lot zeroing threads, loftily speaking with the royal "we" in support of their own tags or "posse" brethren. Bolded terms are actual quotes, and there's lots more where those came from. They got good reason to worry far as I'm concerned, their hypocrisy will be exposed sooner or later. I'm doing my best to make it sooner because I like this forum format and most posters.
djjd62

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 07:40 am
@electronicmail,
but why bother, post your posts, and live your life, i have numerous posts that went nowhere, big deal, i got my information or interest out there, mission accomplished
Mame

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 07:43 am
@electronicmail,
Who exactly are the 'handwringing lot zeroing threads'? And why are they 'handwringing' while zeroing? What in the heck are you talking about?
electronicmail

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 07:46 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
i have numerous posts that went nowhere... i got my information or interest out there

This is a discussion forum, not a blog. I got no problem getting my information or interest out there, I got a problem with hypocrites and those Setanta called "loons". Specially loons acting as a mob.
djjd62

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 07:47 am
@Mame,
no offense to some folks, but there are a few who seem to feel persecuted by the many

why this bothers them i don't know, zeroing a post or thread only makes it invisible to the person zeroing it, if my thread doesn't end up in the "Popular" section......... Shocked , oh my god, i might die

water off the proverbial ducks back

in life, the race is long, but in the end it's mostly with yourself, worry not about the others
electronicmail

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 07:47 am
@Mame,
By definition the thread and post zeroers are anonymous, or haven't you noticed? At least you have something to say, you post. I respect that.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 07:49 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robust search!

Read tracking and robust search have been my bugbears since the changeover (or a few changeovers ago, I've lost track). Very happy to have read tracking back. Robust search is the big one. (I realize it's big for you to develop too, but in terms of priorities.) (Have already voted on the other thread.)
electronicmail

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 07:49 am
@djjd62,
You don't think I care about popularity? Since you read and posted on many of my threads you know for sure popularity is my bottom priority Laughing
djjd62

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 07:50 am
@electronicmail,
electronicmail wrote:

Quote:
i have numerous posts that went nowhere... i got my information or interest out there

This is a discussion forum, not a blog. I got no problem getting my information or interest out there, I got a problem with hypocrites and those Setanta called "loons". Specially loons acting as a mob.

happens all the times, specifically every 4 years in America, they call it a presidential election, last time the loony mob elected a certain Mr. Obama, next time an equally loony mob will probably elect someone else

learn to embrace the lunacy, the inmates have taken over the asylum
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 07:53 am
@electronicmail,
electronicmail wrote:

By definition the thread and post zeroers are anonymous, or haven't you noticed? At least you have something to say, you post. I respect that.

electronicmail wrote:

You don't think I care about popularity? Since you read and posted on many of my threads you know for sure popularity is my bottom priority Laughing

so it's about revenge?

someone wants to vote down a post or thread anonymously, go ahead
Mame

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 07:57 am
@electronicmail,
electronicmail wrote:

Ignore them. And there are no mobs here. Loons, maybe, but no mobs of loons.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 07:59 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

So far, it's only anonymously, although I freely admit I vote posts down every time I come on here. I don't know why anyone would care about those numbers - they're absolutely meaningless.
dlowan

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 08:03 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

djjd62 wrote:

So far, it's only anonymously, although I freely admit I vote posts down every time I come on here. I don't know why anyone would care about those numbers - they're absolutely meaningless.

Yet, stubbornly, in the face of such incomprehension, a bunch of people here find it hurtful when their threads/posts get voted down.

I'd love to see a popularity/approval/disappearing tool that was less like a sledge-hammer.

I don't think human nature is going to go away.
electronicmail

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 08:10 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
I'd love to see a popularity/approval/disappearing tool that was less like a sledge-hammer.

That's an easy one: post and state reasons for disapproving. Popularity rankings matter to new members, not knowing much about others they start by looking at the "popular" lists. I know I did and I saw many of the new philosophy forum members doing the same. "Popular" is on the top link under able2know logo on this page. Otherwise nobody cares. Feelings don't come into it, or human nature either. You post to have readers. At least I do.