Feedback Thread: Discussion (>'.')> <('.'<)

djjd62

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 11:34 am
@electronicmail,
actually what she's suggesting would lessen the impact of, or eliminate altogether her tagging something stupidity

and as she explained, she voted for it to be a priority because others think it should be, even if it doesn't serve her best interests
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 11:34 am
So let's say that graffiti tags are a problem, do we want RG to devote time to this over other things? I doubt it.

Now, are graffiti tags a problem? Not really in my opinion.

A
R
T
JPB

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 11:36 am
@ehBeth,
My default is to look at New Posts. But, as of this morning I'm using My Posts to find those threads that are no longer new that I want to get back to.

But you're right... that will only work if I made at least one post to the thread.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 11:36 am
@failures art,
i'm not above being infantile, but i'd rather do it in the thread itself, i find the graffiti tags dull myself
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 11:37 am
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

Personally, I don't care about the colors, I like the way it is now. But, many do complain about the colors so I voted for it.

http://somnulescu.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/big-bear-hug-for-you.jpg

Quote:
Personally, I don't care about the graffiti tags, but many complain about them so I voted for them.

Oh? So that's how you stabbed me in the back!!
http://thanius.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/disappointed.jpg

Quote:
Personally, I don't use the PM feature all that much, but many do so I voted for improving it.

I can't stay mad at you ! My favorite bichon frise!!
http://www.sharkyweb.com/Suit_Version_1/v1_finished_fun_pose.jpg
How's about another hug? Very Happy
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 11:38 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I'll be the first to self-identify as a 'graffiti tagger.' And I think it would be pretty difficult to stop it from happening, and I don't know why anyone would want to.

No, it'll be a piece of cake, the graffiti tags will be almost gone overnight. As to why, it's because tags are for organizing topics, not to try to communicate anonymously. Use posts for the one liners, tags are not there for that and people who use it that way will have their tags disregarded for all but them.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 11:41 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

i'm not above being infantile, but i'd rather do it in the thread itself, i find the graffiti tags dull myself

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3494/3929901468_b01941352a.jpg
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 11:42 am
@Robert Gentel,
I think people choose their own way of using options provided for them, even if it's not what you intended. I can't control how you write your forum software, but I can voice my opinion that it harms nobody and adds a significant element of interest to the forum.

Quote:
Use posts for the one liners, tags are not there for that and people who use it that way will have their tags disregarded for all but them.

Exceedingly lame.

Cycloptichorn
JPB

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 11:44 am
As someone who doesn't use (or even look at) tags, I'd much rather have infantile tagging than posting.
djjd62

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 11:46 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:
I'd much rather have infantile tagging than posting.

Crying or Very sad
failures art

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 11:48 am
Let's not get stuck on tags. I REALLY think that RG's effort is better spent on larger developments like a search engine.

A
R
T
JPB

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 11:48 am
@djjd62,
hugs

we've had this discussion before.

you know I still love you. Very Happy
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 11:50 am
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

Let's not get stuck on tags. I REALLY think that RG's effort is better spent on larger developments like a search engine.

A
R
T

He explained that this could cost up to $1000 a month more to run, so I decided to stop asking for this, lol, because that's for real unreasonable

Cycloptichorn
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 11:51 am
@Cycloptichorn,
It's not true that it causes no harm, it does. They are not just tags on that that topic you want to tag, they become forums elsewhere that propagate through a2k in fundamental ways and in all the other contexts are unhelpful.

I've explained multiple times how it does cause others harm because it's misuse of a fundamental feature that is not meant to be used that way (simple example is that some other users have your graffiti tags as their "my forums" and the tags are simply not useful forums) but the truth is you don't really care anyway.

Tags create forums, if the tag isn't useful as a forum then it's not an appropriate use of tags and these tags will be filtered.

This is something that is going to be fixed as a high priority, and it's pity that the immature graffiti folks necessitate the work to clean up their graffiti.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 12:00 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Why ask people to even vote on a topic, that you have already decided on?

Quote:

I've explained multiple times how it does cause others harm because it's misuse of a fundamental feature that is not meant to be used that way (simple example is that some other users have your graffiti tags as their "my forums" and the tags are simply not useful forums) but the truth is you don't really care anyway.

So? You just fixed that feature by allowing those people to ignore those forums. I, on the other hand, do follow repeated 'graffiti tags' that other members have made. Their tags are useful to me; 'idiot republicans' is a useful tag for my reading interest.

Cycloptichorn
JPB

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 12:09 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Tags create forums, if the tag isn't useful as a forum then it's not an appropriate use of tags and these tags will be filtered.

Cool, but I think the net effect will be that immature trolling will proliferate (once again) in the threads. Folks that troll via posts or tags are looking for an audience. Once they realize they're their only audience it will (imo) come back into the posts.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 12:20 pm
@failures art,
Quote:
it is important to Roberts goal of making a2k a huge place that the tags get done the way he wants, otherwise content can not be found. The way I understand it only the top five tags (the tags that get placed most often) count, I thought that because only five tags show, and they tend to change order. This seems fine, graffiti tags eventually get voted out in that case. I am not understanding the filtering of tags, his trying to control tags. This goes far towards defeating the purpose of the new a2k, to make less work for him and to allow the user max control over his experience. I get that graffiti tags are annoying to some, but not every "problem" requires a fix. Life is messy, that a2k has in the past been allowed to be messy is a pro, not a con.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 12:27 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Well it will eventually be reasonable for us. But we don't want to do it in a way that won't scale (because otherwise we'll hit another point where our search solution is inadequate, requiring it's removal and overhaul).

However one of the things that I was considering was to make it available as a paid service, which might be able to make it viable earlier. Is that something anyone here would be interested in?
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 12:30 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Why ask people to even vote on a topic, that you have already decided on?

The topic itself says the items have already been decided on, but votes are still useful to see what of the current projects already decided on are most wanted.

It is also clear in that this is not a perfect democracy and that development will not be perfectly aligned with votes, it will use it as a source of feedback input.

Fixing the tag culture is fundamental in order for us to do other things, like improve the "noise filter" we introduced now and that is cluttered by graffiti tags in the my forums (and no, it's not reasonable to ask members to have to remove them all individually, we'll do it systemically).
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 12:32 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Paid service? I'm not sure I understand. A fee for searching archived threads? Or an overall subscription for a2k?

I guess a modest fee for either could be tolerated.