Feedback Thread: Discussion (>'.')> <('.'<)

JPB

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 09:22 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
The topics below have not received a reply since you logged out or read the topic

That's what the little note indicates.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 09:23 am
@JPB,
I turned that off.

Yesterday, I logged in and out and the new would hang in til I'd looked at the thread.
JPB

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 09:25 am
@ehBeth,
I kinda like keeping the new on top, read after now (says she who once adjusted to a change doesn't want to change back). Then when I leave/return I can just scroll through everything that's new.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 09:25 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
anything that had been marked new before I logged out was no longer new, whether or not I'd looked at it - the newness is attached to the session?
i believe that's how the old (2002-08) software worked.
new posts stopped being new once you logged out, whether you viewed them or not...
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 09:45 am
@Region Philbis,
It is, and it's the way it is intended to work here at present too to answer ehBeth's question.

But it's not always consistently so (for technical reasons I'm too tired to explain coherently), and we are also toying with the idea of permanent read tracking (upside is that it's session independent, downside is that they'd build up quite a bit and may need mechanisms to mark them read without reading them then).
JPB

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 09:52 am
@Robert Gentel,
How does it work if one never logs out? Or, does the "remember me" button effectively log you out after a certain time?
ehBeth

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 09:54 am
@Robert Gentel,
The inconsistency might have been reinforced by the effect of the different servers/browsers/isps etc I use in different locations.

I definitely like being able to set things in chronological order. Thanks for that.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 10:01 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:
How does it work if one never logs out? Or, does the "remember me" button effectively log you out after a certain time?

The button doesn't but inactive sessions are removed. What "remember me" does is log you back in when that happens, it doesn't prevent you from being logged out (otherwise you'd always appear online etc).
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 10:14 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
The inconsistency might have been reinforced by the effect of the different servers/browsers/isps etc I use in different locations.

It's also on our end, this is being treated as volatile data stored in RAM and not the hard drive (for any geeks who care we are doing read tracking on memcache, not the database to better handle load and to provide better performance) right now and unlike the rest of the database data if we do things like restart the server, or memcache, it will also reset. We've been doing a lot more of that than usual as we tweak that to real-world use.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 11:43 am
Thanks for fixing the all threads vs filter option. It's nice not having to remember to turn off the filter every few hours.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 11:46 am
liking the new fixes
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 02:14 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

Quote:
anything that had been marked new before I logged out was no longer new, whether or not I'd looked at it - the newness is attached to the session?
i believe that's how the old (2002-08) software worked.
new posts stopped being new once you logged out, whether you viewed them or not...

Region, with the old software, if you logged out, and back in, there were no posts at all when you came back. Remember the joy when we got "At a Glance"?
roger

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 02:17 pm
@dlowan,
Should your recent obsession with plague be suggesting something about the island continent you prefer not to mention directly?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 02:20 pm
@roger,

don't think i ever partook of the At a Glance feature...
dyslexia

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 02:23 pm
@Region Philbis,
one time there was this young lady ina tennis skirt leaning over the water-fountain, I had a glance, actually a long glance then I had an elbow in the ribs.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 03:02 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
Remember the joy when we got "At a Glance"?

I do!

I do!
0 Replies