AbbieMcKenley

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 08:00 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
But why are you teasing a troglodyte?

It's usually quite differcult to annoy me, PM seemed to hit a nerve Laughing
I assume my uncle is (and i don't assume that i should know) because
1) As much as he tries to hide it, he is very immature Laughing
2)It's my bad, appoligies. I'll put him back on ignore and stop opening his posts. Smile

Quote:
It seems like a play or a book

I see what you mean. Laughing
Goodnight, it's 2am, i need to be up early tomorrow.
Have a good day/night/evening?

Oh, and no, I don't know them. I wouldn't have been so annoyed if I did.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 08:15 pm
@Rockhead,
I never said this scenario was real. I have meant all my past posts to Abbie with good will. You weren't around, RH, when someone strung us all along for something like six months. I can easily imagine Abbie growing up to be a good writer. Maybe I have spent too much time with writers.

You were around when I lashed out at you. I never fully explained. I don't take it back, except that I spoke online.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 08:16 pm
@ossobuco,
i love you too.

anyway...
ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 08:34 pm
@AbbieMcKenley,
You understand me, after the question, really rather preemptory, thanks.
I understand not ignoring troglo.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 08:42 pm
@Rockhead,
Better you just hate me than others. I don't think that scenario was all your doing.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 08:44 pm
@ossobuco,
i don't hate anyone.

this is SO not the place for this.

(my pm's still work, if think you wanna play)

thanks.

(sorry abbie)
ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 08:57 pm
@Rockhead,
You brought it up.

I have learned that pms have nothing to do with privacy, but, I'll admit, not from you.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 08:59 pm
@ossobuco,
what pray tell has you being so sweet and loving this evening, arsenic?

give it a rest please.

(you're doing it again...)

what you asked abbie was offensive to me, even if it was not to her.

we can talk about that if you wish...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 09:05 pm
Come on, youse two.
Someone's gonna say something they'll regret later if this continues.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 09:11 pm
I suppose it would be useful if you started a thread about just how bad I am.
You are the one who intervened when I had a legitimate wonder about the context of this thread, that I primarily believed in but had a flash of construct happening. Should none of us ever mention that? Many have gone before me.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 04:50 am
@ossobuco,
Will u define what u mean by:
"a legitimate wonder about the context of this thread"
and also your use of the word "construct"?
It appears to be an other than common usage.
jespah

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 09:11 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I shall explain.

There have been incidents in the past where A2Kers (and, before that, Abuzzers -- this has gone on for over a decade) had their sympathies played upon. This was due to hoaxes. People pretending to be beaten wives, to be caring for dying parents or children, or suicidal or the like. One of the signs is to see these kind of scenarios constantly paraded in front of the site. E. g. the perpetrator finds a way to keep interest up. Primes the pump, so to speak.

Just when interest is dying down, something else happens, or some other little nugget of information is released. The poster is suddenly pregnant! Or the boyfriend is fresh out of jail! Or the long-lost father just returned! Or the doctors are doing all they can but it's too late! Etc. etc. etc.

Having the original poster be attacked by some sort of troll, particularly a troll who seems to know too much insider information, is another way to prime the pump.

As a result, A2Kers have gotten somewhat skeptical. It can be hard to give your heart again, after it's been trampled on several times over and again. It is easy to be jaded. And, sadly, being jaded is often the rightest response.

It does not mean that there aren't perfectly legitimate suffering people out there. There is, for real, far more suffering out there than any of us can or could bear, if we really knew about all of it. But we who have been burned certainly do not wish to have falsified suffering thrust upon us. Enough already! We'd rather save our sympathies for those who truly need them.

But it's hard to know just who those people are.

Hence, people are skeptical, or they may become skeptical, or they may, at times, be sympathetic and skeptical all at the same time, or in stages, or alternate. These kinds or responses are all perfectly normal. They are our responses to having been burned before. None of us wishes to be burned again. But, at the same time, we are generally genuinely compassionate people. We do very much wish to believe.

So questioning is going to come up, and come up repeatedly. And it's not intended to be an insult to anyone and should not be taken as such.

And another thing.

There are those of us who have been burned so repeatedly that we don't put ourselves out there at all. Kind, compassionate folks who absent themselves from topics where they might normally pour on the sympathy -- this is because they are either skeptical from the get-go, or they are afraid they will become skeptical or hurt. Or, of course, they might not see the topic at all. That happens, too.

Anyway, just to bring this all to a conclusion: I think that being skeptical and having questions is normal. I think that wondering whether someone is legitimate, even after they seem to be proven, is completely normal. And, I think that showing sympathy is also normal. Me? My philosophy is to show sympathy (because I really do care), but also to reserve my heart. I don't wish the worst on anyone, and it's an odd position to be in -- to be wishing that someone has had harm befall them as that legitimizes them. But I also look at a larger audience. Even if the one, particular person is not legit, someone out there might be. My sympathy, and my words, are for that legitimately suffering person, whether they are in front of me now, or will join A2K in a week or a month, or they are lurking, or they follow along and don't show themselves at all.

I hope this helps.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 09:47 am
@jespah,
Yes; that explains the concept, Jespah. Thank u
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 09:50 am
i would like to come clean

i am not an apple with a face carved in it, appearing to hold a knife in my mouth

i feel bad that i have conveyed this impression to people

JPB

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 11:00 am
@djjd62,
swine!

Now you tell us!!!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 11:11 am
Janet, thanks for that post. I fall into the jaded in a reserved way category.
0 Replies

AbbieMcKenley

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 11:11 am
@jespah,
I'll promise you now, I wouldn't any kick out of having a go at myself, if that's what's being implied. I understand where Ossobuco is coming from, i've read a few posts before where i've thought, naa, that can't be for real. I can only give you my word but i appreciate that doesnt prove anything. I was gobsmacked at phantom menaces post and got a little over defensive. Appoligies. Neutral
djjd62

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 11:16 am
@AbbieMcKenley,
be as defensive as you feel necessary, as for real or not, i tend to go real until something proves otherwise, and afterwards i usually don't care if i've been taken, i'm not out anything, i have an unlimited well of compassion, if it was time or money i might think differently, but if it's just my feelings, eh, who cares
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 11:23 am
@jespah,
Quote:
As a result, A2Kers have gotten somewhat skeptical. It can be hard to give your heart again, after it's been trampled on several times over and again. It is easy to be jaded. And, sadly, being jaded is often the rightest response.

this is where you go wrong....getting emotionally charged and emotionally involved with a virtual identity is your mistake. We see that at well with people getting hostile, this emotionally charged hostility around here that results in stalking and verbal abuse.

Some times the people with sob stories on a2k are simply playing, having fun, getting their attention fix. We know that going in. So when it happens you get all hurt and don't want to offer sympathy to anyone? How about you do it anyways on the chance that the story is real, and if you learn that it is not then you move along? If you keep you emotions in check this is doable. This is how nurses and doctors can let themselves work with cancer patients whom they know are likely to be dead soon no matter what they do....they don't get consumed by their emotions, they don't take it home with them. It is called strategic detachment if I recall
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 11:29 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

i would like to come clean

i am not an apple with a face carved in it, appearing to hold a knife in my mouth

i feel bad that i have conveyed this impression to people

SAY IT AIN'T SO Djjd62! http://i48.tinypic.com/15coord.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/292r8cp.jpg Next you'll tell us your name isn't Dj Jd 62?! http://i50.tinypic.com/2rnzb85.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/nwnh5g.jpg I feel so emotionally manipulated and exploited!