Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 05:49 pm
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_airliner_disturbance
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 17 • Views: 13,826 • Replies: 227

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 06:10 pm
this makes zero sense....if you are going to blow an aircraft you do it at max elevation so that decompression will hopefully destroy the craft and kill everyone. Plus the "explosive" did not work.

Perhaps what we have here is an extremely stupid terrorist. Maybe it was a prankster.
Intrepid

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 06:18 pm
@hawkeye10,
You assume to know the intent of this person. You do not.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 06:24 pm
I take it, from what little I read, as an advanced stupid practical joke from a person of deliquescent immaturity, possibly with rage issues.
Fix him up with the pope attacker and we have a pair made in heaven.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 06:28 pm
@ossobuco,
I also don't know how to stop a firecracker myself. (I'm odd in that re my nightblindness I am chary on the fourth of July for good reason, having walked the beach in full out firecrackerdom, with a friend - never again. I think immediately of war but also imminent danger). So the person who leapt to contain the guy interests me. (I'm assuming it was a guy with the firecracker, read the news a while ago, maybe not). Maybe there is some easy thing, grab it and stomp, but I don't know about it.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 06:29 pm
@Intrepid,
Quote:
You assume to know the intent of this person. You do not

I know that my government has claimed that this was an act of terrorism, I know that part of the definition of terrorism is the desire to cause maximum loss of life, and I know that blowing an aircraft at the end of the trip will not cause max loss of life.

Perhaps you should be directing your criticism towards the government, they who have already made claims of intent.
dlowan

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 06:36 pm
@ossobuco,
What have you read about it being a practical joke?
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 06:37 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I take it, from what little I read, as an advanced stupid practical joke from a person of deliquescent immaturity, possibly with rage issues.
Fix him up with the pope attacker and we have a pair made in heaven

Likely so. We have seen this over and over again, where some dip-**** does some stunt and our leaders are immediately all over the airwaves claiming that an act of terrorism has been averted. A day or so latter the news comes out that there was no way that any terrorism was ever going to happen, but who knows how many people catch that part.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 06:48 pm
@hawkeye10,
We don't know the person's intent.

Given flight attendants have some strong powers with passengers who mouth back at them (which I'm not against, though on my reading, sometimes that use has been misjudged), I have seen that some talk or acts are taken as some subset of terrorism, and I think misreading a non terrorist is as dangerous in some ways (liberty) as not reading a situation correctly that has serious intent. Well, no, the misreading of the real terrorist is the big problem. Still, in the land of fear much can be misjudged.

I don't mean by that paragraph that people get to start firecrackers. Or cause drunken brawls. But I've read about people dragged off planes for exclaiming to an attendant in a way I can understand.

On this perp, I'm guessing a mess of a person, what we might call sociopathic at least for now, but not an out and out terrorist.

I've four friends who were flight attendants, 3 for Pan Am/United. They had trouble with drunks back then.. and a lot of those drunks had lit cigarettes.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 06:50 pm
@dlowan,
Nothing, that is my first instinct. Let's see what happens if I do this..

I don't know anything about the perp, anything at all.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 06:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
Aha, we agree on this one.
Of course, I don't know.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 07:08 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
You assume to know the intent of this person. You do not

I know that my government has claimed that this was an act of terrorism, I know that part of the definition of terrorism is the desire to cause maximum loss of life, and I know that blowing an aircraft at the end of the trip will not cause max loss of life.

Perhaps you should be directing your criticism towards the government, they who have already made claims of intent.

Ossobuco wrote:

Quote:

Fix him up with the pope attacker and we have a pair made in heaven[
quote]

Hawkeye answered:

Quote:
Likely so. We have seen this over and over again, where some dip-**** does some stunt and our leaders are immediately all over the airwaves claiming that an act of terrorism has been averted. A day or so latter the news comes out that there was no way that any terrorism was ever going to happen, but who knows how many people catch that part.

You seem to be covering both sides of the plate. Shocked You STILL do not know this person's intent.

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 07:16 pm
@Intrepid,
Quote:
You seem to be covering both sides of the plate. You STILL do not know this person's intent.

never claimed to know....if the government is right then this would be terrorist is incompetent, however given past performance I have a boatload of reasons to doubt the veracity if the claim made by the white house official today.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 07:40 pm
I'm sure that if I were the government, just imagine how unorganized*, I'd hold this person and try to figure (him) out. I'll admit I haven't checked the news in a few hours.

*that's just wrong, when I get into organizing I'm good at it.

I guess I think of this as a balloon occurrence and am sorry - maybe very sorry - if it is puffed up.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 07:42 pm
@ossobuco,
I didn't get confusion from hawkeye's posts on this.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 07:54 pm
@ossobuco,
Intrepid has never been able to get around my advocating for greater sexual freedom for teenagers. According to him my belief about the correct course of action on this single issue makes me a monster requiring slaying.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 08:08 pm
@hawkeye10,
I understand him and anyone else's qualms re your points.

I'll take issue by issue.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 08:10 pm
@ossobuco,
For whatever it is worth:

Breaking News Alert
The New York Times
Fri, December 25, 2009 -- 7:14 PM ET
-----

U.S. Says Incident Aboard Plane Was Attempted Act of Terrorism

A passenger aboard a plane at Detroit Metropolitan Airport