Attempt To Blow Up US Passenger Jet

ehBeth

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 01:35 pm
@High Seas,
Does the U.S. allow other countries to complete their screening within the U.S.?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 01:44 pm
@engineer,
Thanks. That is something to think about.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 01:58 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Walter Hinteler wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

Racial profiling and religious profiling (to the extent practicable) are both FINE.

Certainly the US military & law enforcement services have some documents how the Nazis did such - could be really helpful, "Ahnenpass", blood certificate, Nuremberg Laws and such.
It will be enuf to see if thay look middle eastern
and if thay have Moslem names.

The Ahnenpass is literally an "ancestors' passport" - here you've been told "looks" and "names" would be enough, no need to investigate their own birth certificates, never mind those of any of their ancestors.

And any idea that profiling should be illegal is flatly contradicted by the surfeit of federal and state "hate crimes" laws: stands to reason that if you want to IDENTIFY a "hate crime designated victim" in order to prosecute an attacker you first have to PROFILE said victim. If the 14th Amendment really were observed, ALL this absurd "hate crimes" legislation should be declared unconstitutional.
BillRM

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 02:23 pm
@High Seas,
The US constitution is not a suicide pack and the courts had never had been known to had make rulings that would lead it to become such a pack.

If in some future the courts would tell us that we can not look at reality and need to have our citizens place in harm way by the plane load due to the Constitution then it would be time to tear it up into fine pieces and start over.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 03:46 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

Walter Hinteler wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

Racial profiling and religious profiling (to the extent practicable) are both FINE.

Certainly the US military & law enforcement services have some documents how the Nazis did such - could be really helpful, "Ahnenpass", blood certificate, Nuremberg Laws and such.
It will be enuf to see if thay look middle eastern
and if thay have Moslem names.

The Ahnenpass is literally an "ancestors' passport" - here you've been told "looks" and "names" would be enough, no need to investigate their own birth certificates, never mind those of any of their ancestors.

And any idea that profiling should be illegal is flatly contradicted by the surfeit of federal and state "hate crimes" laws: stands to reason that if you want to IDENTIFY a "hate crime designated victim" in order to prosecute an attacker you first have to PROFILE said victim. If the 14th Amendment really were observed, ALL this absurd "hate crimes" legislation should be declared unconstitutional.
It shows liberals' support of unlimited totalitarianism
wherein government can choose which emotions are legal.

CONDUCT can legally be regulated; each citizen is constitutionally immune
from any government jurisdiction in the space between his ears.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 04:25 pm

If government HAS legitimate jurisdiction over hate,
then presumably it also has authority over other emotions.

Then it can outlaw fear, envy, love etc.

David
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 04:49 pm
That the briefs-bomber was able to get on this flight is outrageous, but then so is the fact that the authorities allowed the muslim major to shoot up Fort Hood.

Whether one or both instances occurred due to hyper-political correctness or sheer incompetency, in combination, they should shake if not strip our confidence in our government's ability to keep us even reasonably secure from terrorism.

I think everyone can appreciate that with luck, a truly canny terrorist who is willing to die to achieve his or her goal can probably pull off one of these attacks. The fast becoming cliche "The terrorists only have to get lucky once..." is understandable. I have no expectation that the government is going to be successful 100% of the time, but I do have the expectation that they will prevent attacks from those who repeatedly telegraph their dangerous intent.

What is the purpose of having a secondary or tertiary watch list if someone whose name appears on it can board an American airliner without luggage, without a passport, with a one-way ticket paid for with cash, AFTER his father has warned the State Department that he has been radicalized?

Oh yes the lists have hundreds of thousands of names! Ooh such big numbers! You would need the computing power of an electronic brain to identify this guy! Do we really expect our security forces to use computers?

But "The System" worked according to the head of Homeland Security. Of course now she has explained that what she really meant was that The System worked after the other passengers subdued the briefs-bomber and the plane landed.

Gall? Do you think?

What can be done though?

Certainly we can't possibly discriminate and focus on the people who fit the profile that has been common to everyone of these terrorists. If we do that and screen young muslim men any differently from 80 year old swedish women, the terrorists have won.

I wonder, if the briefs-bomber had been successful, would an innocent young muslim male passenger have dropped to his death content and secure that his "people" had not been profiled?

I wonder if his family would not have sued Delta for wrongful death based on the fact that a child, given the known facts, could have figured out this guy should never have got on the plane.

For those who advance their high minded arguments against profiling, one can only assume that if the terrorist had been successful and some 300 passengers had perished, they would argue that such is the price for a society based on equality and tolerance.
Thomas

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 05:30 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Whether one or both instances occurred due to hyper-political correctness or sheer incompetency, in combination, they should shake if not strip our confidence in our government's ability to keep us even reasonably secure from terrorism.

So what? Your government is even less unable to keep you secure from cars running you over, from swimming pools drowning you after you fall into them, or guns shooting you in accidents. All tese cause many more fatalities among Americans than terrorism does. Yet nobody is wetting their pants about it, or blaming the government for not doing much more to prevent them.

What's so special about terrorism? I don't get it.
Thomas

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 05:35 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:
That was a US airplane flying to the US: absolutely no question that US jurisdiction applied the moment it was 3 miles off the coast of Holland.

If US jurisdiction applies to the plane, can you explain to me how come Umar had no rights under the US constitution? Or you disagree with David's statement that he didn't?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 06:16 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

So what? Your government is even less unable to keep you secure from cars running you over, from swimming pools drowning you after you fall into them, or guns shooting you in accidents. All tese cause many more fatalities among Americans than terrorism does. Yet nobody is wetting their pants about it, or blaming the government for not doing much more to prevent them.

Sometimes, it seems, members post a response straight from the hip without regard to whether or not it makes any sense. Sometimes, the poster is glib enough or well enough regarded by other members to hope to get a free pass.

First of all, there is clearly a major difference between accidental and intentional perils. Only those who have difficulty accepting personal responsibility for their lives call upon their government to preserve them from accidentaly caused harm.

Secondly, there is a a vast number of people in America who are "wetting themselves" and actually do expect the government to preserve them from accidental harm, even to the point where they accept being coerced by that government to take reasonable precautions -- e.g. wearing a seat belt in a car.

Thirdly, it is one of the most fundamental responsibilities of any government to protect the freedom and security of its citizens. It should, notwithstanding the desire of some of my fellow Americans for the comfort of a Nanny State, go without saying that this responsibility relates to intended, not accidental threats. Terrorism is, clearly, intentional.

No government can protect its citizens from all sources of harm, nor should citizens expect such protection from their government, but it is not only entirely reasonable but the very essence of the social contact between the government and the governed that the government take, at least, reasonable measures to protect its citizens from its enemies.

Do you not think the briefs-bomber considered himself an enemy of America and Americans?

By your logic, citizens should expect no protection from their government because disease is the primary killer of people and the government can do little to stop it. Since we are not "wetting ourselves" over the fact that the government can't put an end to cancer and heart disease why should we care about war, crime, gross negligence or terrorism?

0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 06:22 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

I agree with you, we humans are so pliable by drama. With terrorism the human foil adds to the drama. The better the foil the more we care.

Terrorism > Murder > Drunk Driver > Careless Driver > Second hand smoke > Cancer

If cancer were posting YouTube videos mocking us after the fact we'd care more about cancer. On the stage of life cancer is the lesser dramatist.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 06:25 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
What is the purpose of having a secondary or tertiary watch list if someone whose name appears on it can board an American airliner without luggage, without a passport, with a one-way ticket paid for with cash, AFTER his father has warned the State Department that he has been radicalized?

Oh yes the lists have hundreds of thousands of names! Ooh such big numbers! You would need the computing power of an electronic brain to identify this guy! Do we really expect our security forces to use computers?

I don't think the size of the list has anything to do with the ability to find someone on it, but rather to do the background work that would be reasonable enough to prevent someone from flying and what that would cost.

Imagine if you could prevent me from flying just because you make a call and claim I'm "radicalized". They need human legwork, not computers. Scale is a legitimate limitation to such lists.
BillRM

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 06:33 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
Imagine if you could prevent me from flying just because you make a call and claim I'm "radicalized". They need human legwork, not computers. Scale is a legitimate limitation to such lists.

The underwear bomber is neither a citizen or a legal residence of the US so we do not need anything but a feeling to keep him out of the country and off planes headed for our airspace.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 06:36 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
That's why I think this is a one off. Someone calls up and says they want to bomb a plane, so they give them minimum support and hope it pays off. It doesn't sound like a legitimate Al Qaeda plot.

I agree, and the willingness to put anything together when faced with such human material should underscore the scarcity of this resource and how much that is a factor in our security. For this reason I feel that diplomacy (especially on issues like the Israel/Palestine question) are as important to our security as anything else.
BillRM

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 07:45 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
especially on issues like the Israel/Palestine question

Sorry but it is my firm opinion that the leadership of Al-Qaeda and connected organizations desire is to overthrow most of the governments of the middle east and set up governments far more to thier liking and at best the Palestine issue is just a propaganda and recruiting tool.

If the Palestine situtation was solve to everyone involve satisfaction it would have little effect on middle east terrorism.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 09:38 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Thomas wrote:

I agree with you, we humans are so pliable by drama. With terrorism the human foil adds to the drama. The better the foil the more we care.

Terrorism > Murder > Drunk Driver > Careless Driver > Second hand smoke > Cancer

If cancer were posting YouTube videos mocking us after the fact we'd care more about cancer. On the stage of life cancer is the lesser dramatist.

But cancer will never post YouTube videos because the death it brings us is not the intentional desire of our fellow humans, and none of us can legitmately expect our government to protect us from random and mindless dangers like cancer...heart disease, auto accidents, foreign objects falling from the sky, earthquakes, hurricanes, etc.

You and Thomas are making an argument without any foundation at all.

You might as well argue that Americans would fear killer tomatoes as much as terrorists if killer tomatoes existed.

I really am surprised that you seem unable to draw a clear distinction between perils which can and cannot be prevented.

I can only assume that this clear void in reasoning has been enabled by the same sort of ideological bent that insists profiling is not onlyof no value, but is counter-productive.

Herein lies the true peril of the 21st Century: Intelligent people allowing poltical orthodoxy to overwhelm their ability to reason.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 10:07 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I don't think the size of the list has anything to do with the ability to find someone on it, but rather to do the background work that would be reasonable enough to prevent someone from flying and what that would cost.

Entirely disagree.

The briefs-bombers was not added to a watch list because someone alleged he was radicalized.

He was on the list before his father (father - not disgruntled lover or co-worker) felt it important enough to consult the US State Dept about the intentions of his son.

Clearly, there were factors concerning his life and behaviors that put him on the list.

We can argue all day whether or not those factors were legitimate, but the proof is in the pudding: He belonged on the list!

Now he is on "a" list and he:

Purchases a one way ticket with cash
Has neither checked nor carry on luggage
Has no passport
Has a name that by most parameters of reasoning suggests he is a muslim.
His father has taken the time and effort to advise the US State Dept than he might be a threat.

Are you so frozen in the 60's as to believe that there is some sort of legitmate generational war and that parents cannot be trusted to want is what is best for their children?

Given that the kid actually tried to bring down an American plane are you really going to insist that his father"s efforts to warn the world were somehow the product of paternal maladjustment?

He was on the secondary or tertiary watchlist.

By most accounts these lists hold far less than a million names.

Matching a name entered into a computer program with anyone of a million names is childs play for a computer. Google any word or phrase and the results will pop up almost instantaneously.

No leg work was required here.

Yours is a ridiculous assertion which I defy you to substantiate.

There is virtually nothing in my profile to suggest that I am a terrorist and I suspect the same can be said about you.

If somehow there is, I am happy to address my situation with security forces.

I travel often to the UK and did so in the mid 80's. I am of Irish heritage and took to wearing my hair quite short, and my clothes of a certain style.

Apparently, at least my physical appearence caught the attention of the UK security forces and I found myself subject to "intensive screening."

Great story to tell but nothing more. I wasn't affronted or outraged by the scrutiny. It made perfect sense to me and, obviously, the UK authorities didn't make a wrong call --- I got on my plane and returned to the US.

If men with green skin are blowing up buildings around the world, it makes sense to keep an eye on men with green skin.

If young muslim men are blowing things up around the world, it makes sense to keep an eye on young muslim men.

Only a reflexive liberal response can explain how some may see this as injurious.

0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 09:27 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

High Seas wrote:
That was a US airplane flying to the US: absolutely no question that US jurisdiction applied the moment it was 3 miles off the coast of Holland.

If US jurisdiction applies to the plane, can you explain to me how come Umar had no rights under the US constitution? Or you disagree with David's statement that he didn't?

Non-citizens don't enjoy the full range of constitutional protections.
BillRM

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 09:29 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
Umar had no rights under the US constitution? Or you disagree with David's statement that he didn't?

He have zero rights to come into the country if we do not wish him to.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 12:10 pm

The US Constitution has no application to any alien
who is not on American territory. If that was an American plane,
under the American Flag, then possibly American jurisdiction exists.
0 Replies