Attempt To Blow Up US Passenger Jet

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 12:17 pm
@Robert Gentel,

Robert,
Let me wish u a very HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Point of information,
if I may:
are the times set forth on the posts accurate ?
Intrepid

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 03:07 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

They are if you have the time zone offset configured properly in preferences.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 08:40 pm
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

They are if you have the time zone offset configured properly in preferences.
Thank u; I had not taken notice of that option.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2010 01:49 am
Quote:
The cool detachment that was so attractive when political opponents were trying to rile Obama is suddenly becoming annoying. Preternaturally unflappable, his demeanor in these circumstances borders on inappropriate.

What does it take to get a rise out of Barack Obama? Not that we need bombast and flared nostrils. Calm in the face of potential disaster is laudable, but it's a fine line between executive tranquillity and passive nonchalance. Like a tone-deaf disc jockey, Obama plays elevator music when the crowd wants John Philip Sousa.

But action is being taken, we're told. Investigations are underway and reports are being tabulated. Soon decisions will be forthcoming as to whether we bomb al-Qaeda outposts in Yemen or insist that travelers liberate their inner Britneys and go panty-free through security checkpoints.

Full-cavity searches can't be far from the minds of bureaucrats looking for ways to create a faux sense of security rather than figuring out how to draw simple inferences from red flags, recently in numbers sufficient to spell out "Allahu Akbar" on a halftime football field.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/01/AR2010010101368_2.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

Right on......
Intrepid

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 01:56 pm
Umar Farouk Abdul Mutallab has pled not guilty to the charges against him.
High Seas

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 02:40 pm
@Intrepid,
His lawyer appears to be hinting the client isn't quite compos mentis - maybe that can be said of all suicide bombers, though.
djjd62

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 02:43 pm
@High Seas,
compos mentis?

i thought he was nigerian Razz

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 02:48 pm
@High Seas,
Quote:
that can be said of all suicide bombers, though

That can be said for any true believer in fairy tales not just suicide bombers.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 04:50 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
Non-citizens don't enjoy the full range of constitutional protections.

"Not the full range of constitutional protection" is very different from "no rights" -- which is what David had claimed, and what I responded to.

What specific protections do you claim he was lacking, and an American citizen would enjoy?
Thomas

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 04:59 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Herein lies the true peril of the 21st Century: Intelligent people allowing poltical orthodoxy to overwhelm their ability to reason.

This may well be your only line in this thread that I emphatically agree with -- or care to comment on.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 06:27 pm
@Thomas,
Glib yet again because you need only page back to find that there were other comments I made which you felt deserved your own.

Dismissive remarks when you need only ignore strongly suggest retreat.

Thomas

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 06:32 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Suggest away.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 06:32 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
The cool detachment that was so attractive when political opponents were trying to rile Obama is suddenly becoming annoying.

The act of terror alway includes stoking up the fear and paranoia of those targeted. Im sure AlQaeda is looking at the game film and is thinking
"Wow, weve managed to become the entire news and have taken over the government to suh a degree that normal activities are almost impossible" HELL, we dont have to send guys with bombs, we only need a couple of these dickhead jihadists to ride a plane into NYC and then set off a squib in the main cabin and we will have control of the media for weeks. The Americans are so stirred up that we could just yell BOO and theyll duck.

The effort to turn this into a Right v Left issue is a consequence of the calendar and the proximity to Congressional election campaigns, nothing more.

I think Obama is handling this exactly as it should be, concerned and resolute, but not bugging for photo ops on air craft carriers .

The fact that he commanded where the buck stops was especially gratifying to me. Its been a long time since a president did that, and the last time it happened, (GHW Bush) he lied to us.

I do think that the asshole statement made by the admin "See the system works" should be shoved up her ass as she is shown the door though. We dont need any smart ass assessments.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 02:45 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

"Not the full range of constitutional protection" is very different from "no rights" -- which is what David had claimed, and what I responded to.

What specific protections do you claim he was lacking, and an American citizen would enjoy?

Not being a lawyer, I don't know, but it is my understanding that non-citizens do not have all the constitutional protections that citizens do. They are basically guests.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 03:09 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

Thomas, it has been well established law
that aliens not in America have no rights
under the US Constitution. JOHNSON v. EISENTRAGER 339 US 763, (195O);
US v. Verdugo 494 US 259 (1990)

However, there has recently been another case qua Guantanamo
that has called this doctrine into question. I don 't have that cite
conveniently at hand.

David
High Seas

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 12:59 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I looked up the cases you cite and found this summary of the Supreme Court decision:
http://supreme.justia.com/us/494/259/case.html
Quote:
Chief Justice REHNQUIST delivered the opinion of the Court.

The question presented by this case is whether the Fourth Amendment applies to the search and seizure by United States agents of property that is owned by a nonresident alien and located in a foreign country. We hold that it does not.

That narrows it down a bit, to "nonresident alien" and only for property located abroad, but >
Quote:
The Fourth Amendment provides: "[t]he right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

> whatever the Guantanamo case you mention, wouldn't the above case cover all those searches at airports located overseas?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 12:52 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Eisentrager, Schmeisentrager! It is also a well-established fact that been a well-established fact that Abdul Farouk Abdulmutallab was on a Northwest Airlines plane when he put his pants on fire. Hence, under the Warsaw Convention (PDF), he absolutely was on US territory as far as the law is concerned. Eisentrager, by contrast, was on a US army base in Germany, and consequently under the jurisdiction of West Germany. Johnson v. Eisentrager simply doesn't apply to the Detroit case.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 11:05 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

Eisentrager, Schmeisentrager! It is also a well-established fact that been a well-established fact that Abdul Farouk Abdulmutallab was on a Northwest Airlines plane when he put his pants on fire. Hence, under the Warsaw Convention (PDF), he absolutely was on US territory as far as the law is concerned. Eisentrager, by contrast, was on a US army base in Germany, and consequently under the jurisdiction of West Germany. Johnson v. Eisentrager simply doesn't apply to the Detroit case.
If he was on American territory when it happened,
then u r probably right.

David
Thomas

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 06:43 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
An American airplane is American territory from a legal point of view.
High Seas

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 02:26 pm
@Thomas,
Certainly not - except for embassies (generally anchored on solid soil) no moving vessel is privileged territory unless located in territorial waters, land, or airspace, of its registry. Embassies do count as "domestic" territory unless and until there is a declaration of war.