Attempt To Blow Up US Passenger Jet

BillRM

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 06:20 pm
@engineer,
Lord we are talking about using the information we happen to have.

If we happen know a passenger is a Muslim that is one of the factors we should take into account that all.
engineer

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 06:48 pm
@BillRM,
And what information is that? The US government does not keep records on the religion of citizens. The airlines certainly don't keep it. You are ducking the question. A citizen of the US who is not on the no-fly list for another reason steps up to the ticket counter with their round trip ticket paid for by a credit card and their luggage in hand ready to check in. How do you screen for religion? How do you know if he is a Muslim? Isn't this the key question around which your proposal turns?
BillRM

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 07:26 pm
@engineer,
Let see the main threat to airliners had not so far come from our citizens to date number one. And as the list I had posted indicate up to 99 percent of some counties citizens are Muslims so by the very nature of their citizenship we have a damn good idea of their religion faith.

Quote:
The US government does not keep records on the religion of citizens

Are you sure that they are not now so doing? They surely could without a major problem as there are all kinds of government and non-government data bases that our government had access to that would indicate the faith of most of our citizens.

You are under the impression that the government could not find the religion faith of most of our citizens by searching such data bases and could then not maintain a master data base for checking at an airport if they care to?

Very non-PC but more then doable in my opinion and as this information would come from public records I see little wrong with it either

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 07:53 pm
@engineer,
Engineer for the fun of it google the keywords muslims membership list and see how many data bases online that anyone can access with one of the lists having over a 160,000 names on it of people looking for mates.

Would not be hard to have a data base that have 99 percent of the American Muslin population in it, assuming the government decided to do it.

If the government is doing it job I would bet that somewhere there is such a secret data base already existing.
Intrepid

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 08:57 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
A plot to blow up planes in flight from the UK to the US and commit "mass murder on an unimaginable scale" has been disrupted, Scotland Yard has said.

Quote:
"We believe that the terrorists' aim was to smuggle explosives on to aeroplanes in hand luggage and to detonate these in flight. We also believe that the intended targets were flights from the United Kingdom to the United States of America."

Quote:
According to BBC sources the "principal characters" suspected of being involved in the plot were British-born. There are also understood to be links to Pakistan.

This was in 2006.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4778575.stm
Brandon9000

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 03:01 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Then back to the question I asked Bill earlier: How do you determine who is a Muslim? Are you going to ask everyone their religion before allowing them to board flights? Doubtful since even if you were willing to do this, people could just lie. You are going to have to define some characteristics of Muslims. What do you think that is going to look like?

I'll admit that I don't know how to implement it, but I do know that there is a greater chance that a young man from a middle Eastern country is Muslim than there is that an elderly lady from Japan is.
Brandon9000

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 03:10 am
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

Quote:
A plot to blow up planes in flight from the UK to the US and commit "mass murder on an unimaginable scale" has been disrupted, Scotland Yard has said.

Quote:
"We believe that the terrorists' aim was to smuggle explosives on to aeroplanes in hand luggage and to detonate these in flight. We also believe that the intended targets were flights from the United Kingdom to the United States of America."

Quote:
According to BBC sources the "principal characters" suspected of being involved in the plot were British-born. There are also understood to be links to Pakistan.

This was in 2006.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4778575.stm

The 2006 transatlantic aircraft plot was an Al Qaeda supported operation committed by Islamic extremists.
Intrepid

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 06:26 am
@Brandon9000,
You totally missed the point.
farmerman

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 06:40 am
@Intrepid,
I think that, since homeland and FBI are having trouble melding their respective data bases, they should turn this function over to some credit card company. Whenever you use your credit cards, they get an almost instantaneous report of any discrepencies or if someone else is using your card (assuming you called to stop it).
Intrepid

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 07:19 am
@farmerman,
Good idea!
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 08:22 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

I'll admit that I don't know how to implement it, but I do know that there is a greater chance that a young man from a middle Eastern country is Muslim than there is that an elderly lady from Japan is.

I agree that a young man from a middle Eastern country is more likely Muslim than an elderly lady from Japan. I also agree that our current threat is Muslim based. My arguments are that 1) screening predominately young men from Muslim countries means that in a resource restricted environment you reduce screening on other groups. This means that it opens a hole in your security net that can be exploited. 2) The vast majority of young Muslim seeming men who travel through the US are not a threat but treating them as they are will engender resentment and less cooperation. In the underwear bomber's case, he was turned in by his father. Would that have happened if the US had a history of poor treatment of Muslims? 3) The identification of Muslims would involve a costly and likely illegal violation of privacy with a high degree of error.

I'm in favor of extra vigilance in airports where there is a high likelihood of a threat, I just favor that vigilance be applied to everyone. A system without a known bias is one that is harder to attack.
BillRM

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 08:57 am
@engineer,
So by your very strange logic if we spend more time and resources on looking at young Muslims men instead of a mid-west grandmother traveling with her grandkids we are opening up some form of a security hole!!!???!!!!!

C ome on let be honest here you are willing to take added risks of deaths for planes loads of citizens in order to be PC and you and I both know the current screening does not made any sense at all from a security point of view.

The real experts IE the Israels agree with me not you on screening and as a result they are one hell of a lot safer to fly on then a US carrier.

I am also fairly sure that if we end up lossing a few planes from US born Muslims men that a list of all Muslims in the country will be either produce or come out of hidding in a matter of weeks.

And Muslims like all of us are aware that their group is at higher risk of producing terrorists and therefore I see no reason why most of them would not undersand the need for added screening.

Hell as I had said before I would not get bended out of shape if on re-entering the country by myself from a sex tourist area of the world to get added screening. Being a 61 year old white male I fit the profile of somone who might be traveling for such reasons. A young Muslin would not fit that profile at all and therefore would not normally get such added screening for that reason.
Brandon9000

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 09:17 am
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

You totally missed the point.

...which, interestingly, you don't clarify.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 09:19 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

I agree that a young man from a middle Eastern country is more likely Muslim than an elderly lady from Japan. I also agree that our current threat is Muslim based. My arguments are that 1) screening predominately young men from Muslim countries means that in a resource restricted environment you reduce screening on other groups. This means that it opens a hole in your security net that can be exploited. 2) The vast majority of young Muslim seeming men who travel through the US are not a threat but treating them as they are will engender resentment and less cooperation. In the underwear bomber's case, he was turned in by his father. Would that have happened if the US had a history of poor treatment of Muslims? 3) The identification of Muslims would involve a costly and likely illegal violation of privacy with a high degree of error.

I'm in favor of extra vigilance in airports where there is a high likelihood of a threat, I just favor that vigilance be applied to everyone. A system without a known bias is one that is harder to attack.

You cannot win this, because you're wrong. I am not advocating poor treatment of young, Muslim men. I am advocating screening everyone, but beng generally more alert with young, men from predominantly Muslim countries.
Brandon9000

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 09:43 am
...and, actually, I should have said that there is a greater chance that a young man from a Middle Eastern country would be a Mulsim extremist.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 09:45 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

So by your very strange logic if we spend more time and resources on looking at young Muslims men instead of a mid-west grandmother traveling with her grandkids we are opening up some form of a security hole!!!???!!!!!

Exactly. Once it is known that grandmothers get a pass, just dress someone up as a grandmother and no more plane. If that sounds unlikely, remember that you are going to give a lot more passes that just grandmothers with children. It's easy to use makeup to add twenty or thirty years to someone's age. Plus, in order to do the screening as you suggested, you would have to collect a database of world citizens and their religions. Good luck with that.

BillRM wrote:

C ome on let be honest here you are willing to take added risks of deaths for planes loads of citizens in order to be PC and you and I both know the current screening does not made any sense at all from a security point of view.

I completely agree that the current screening is to some extent more focused on providing a feeling of security. Some elements like sniffer dogs, more scrutiny on paperwork, having a professional airport security staff and increasing traveler awareness to be vigilant are very valuable. The personal frisks, shoe removal, liquid restrictions, etc are absurd. I believe you are advocating for more of these actions, just focused on Muslims. Since I think they are ridiculous and demeaning, I feel doing more of it and targeting groups whose help we need in combating terrorism is not valuable. PC has nothing to do with it as I've explained over and over. Effectiveness and legality do.

BillRM wrote:
The real experts IE the Israels agree with me not you on screening and as a result they are one hell of a lot safer to fly on then a US carrier.

This argument is faulty for two reasons. First, it is untrue. Air travel in the US in incredibly safe. It is a common action for underdogs to attempt a long shot strike into the heart of an enemy to produce a fear or anger response. We did it in WWII when we bombed the Japanese and German homelands early in the war. In both cases, they changed away from their early successful strategies. You are advocating we change from our very successful strategies to combat air terrorism to one that will create holes in our system and alienate constituencies we need to continue our effective anti-terrorism efforts. If we follow your proposal, the terrorists have won a round. Their goal is not to bring down a particular plane, it is to have the US implement policies like the one you suggest so that our natural allies will be less likely to help us and those who might otherwise stay neutral will side with them. The second reason that the Israeli argument is not valid is that we are not Israelis. We are governed by the Constitution and by US laws. If some other country made everyone fly in government supplied overalls with full strip searches and didn't allow any luggage, they might have a great terror safety record also, but that's not how we do things here. If the Israelis have chosen to give up liberty for security, that is their choice.

BillRM wrote:
I am also fairly sure that if we end up lossing a few planes from US born Muslims men that a list of all Muslims in the country will be either produce or come out of hidding in a matter of weeks.

Would you be happy with this? What about a list of atheists or Jews? Would you be comfortable knowing that the US government is tracking and potentially discriminating based on this database? Do you think you are on it? Do you think this is what generations of Americans have lived and died for? PC is saying that a group is off limits for criticism for fear of offending them. This goes substantially beyond that. If you are ok with the government tracking peaceful citizens legally expressing their constitutional rights to religion, free speech, etc. then we have a much more fundamental disagreement and it has nothing to do with PC.

BillRM wrote:
And Muslims like all of us are aware that their group is at higher risk of producing terrorists and therefore I see no reason why most of them would not undersand the need for added screening.

For the same reason that all the rest of us don't want additional screening; it is intrusive and ineffective.
engineer

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 09:51 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

You cannot win this, because you're wrong. I am not advocating poor treatment of young, Muslim men. I am advocating screening everyone, but beng generally more alert with young, men from predominantly Muslim countries.

I've long ago discovered that you can never "win" the argument with your antagonist here, you can only influence the silent group without a strong pre-existing opinion that is reading along without commenting. I am advocating screening everyone and being alert all the time, or if that is too expensive, using a random screening system. If an audit of the screening area shows that people are stopped in a consistent and uniform manner and screened to an equal level of inconvenience, then we don't have a disagreement. My reading of Bill's posts is that he favors a more focused system than what you suggest.
Brandon9000

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 10:02 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

I've long ago discovered that you can never "win" the argument with your antagonist here, you can only influence the silent group without a strong pre-existing opinion that is reading along without commenting. I am advocating screening everyone and being alert all the time, or if that is too expensive, using a random screening system. If an audit of the screening area shows that people are stopped in a consistent and uniform manner and screened to an equal level of inconvenience, then we don't have a disagreement. My reading of Bill's posts is that he favors a more focused system than what you suggest.

I'm suggesting being generally more alert with people who have some resemblance to the profile for plane bombers. In my scheme, if there were a program of doing a brief, detailed scan of 10% of the passengers, it would be more likely that a young man from a Middle Eastern country would be chosen than that an elderly Japanese woman would. It is more sensible to go with the probabilities than to pretend that they don't exist for philosophical or political reasons.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 10:21 am

If it were up to me, we 'd do the obvious and aim at the known enemy.
Racial profiling and religious profiling (to the extent practicable) are both FINE.
If the Moslems don 't like it, then let them stay out of America.

David
farmerman

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 10:25 am
@OmSigDAVID,
the problem about this one is that we have to rely on the security of other countries