Oh, No! Election Day is Tuesday, November 2nd, 2010...

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 06:30 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
WASHINGTON – Tilted toward the GOP from the start of the year, the political environment has grown even more favorable for Republicans and rockier for President Barack Obama and his Democrats over the long primary season that just ended with a bang.

With November's matchups set and the general election campaign beginning in earnest Wednesday, an Associated Press-GfK poll found that more Americans say the country is headed in the wrong direction than did before the nomination contests got under way in February. Also, more now disapprove of the job Obama is doing. And more now want to see Republicans in control of Congress rather than the Democrats who now run the House and Senate.

The country's pessimism benefits the out-of-power GOP, which clearly has enthusiasm on its side. Far more people voted this year in Republicans primaries than in Democratic contests, and the antiestablishment tea party coalition has energized the GOP even as it has sprung a series of primary surprises.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_election_lookahead;_ylt=AvxKyx79m_dkwF7_T.FOXeqs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTNsMTd0OHRvBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTAwOTE2L3VzX2VsZWN0aW9uX2xvb2thaGVhZARjY29kZQNtb3N0cG9wdWxhcgRjcG9zAzEEcG9zAzIEcHQDaG9tZV9jb2tlBHNlYwN5bl90b3Bfc3RvcnkEc2xrA2FwLWdma3BvbGxjbA--

And what we are likely to end up with is for two year the Tea Party will control Congress, and they will be the key votes as the old guard GOP and the DEMS do their normal Bull ****. The Tea Party members will not be brought to heal by the GOP leadership. It will be interesting to see if the Tea Party Branch of the GOP even caucuses with the old guard.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 06:53 pm
Meanwhile, back in Delaware, O'Donnell did today get some $50K from the Republican National Senate Campaign Committee after all. There was no indication of support beyond that as they have given candidates in races like in Kentucky.
Castle, whom she defeated, says he will not endorse her.
And Karl Rove, no friend of O'Donnell, went out of his way on a conservative radio talk show to bash her for her "financial indiscretions."
Perhaps this will mellow out over the weekend. Or perhaps not.
JamesMorrison

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 07:41 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
No, the political establishment took a hit tonight.

This seems about right. Let's review (from RedState's Erickson):

"The Senate GOP stood with Charlie Crist and conservatives stood with Marco Rubio.
The Senate GOP stood with Arlen Specter and conservatives stood with Pat Toomey.
The Senate GOP stood with Trey Grayson and conservatives stood with Rand Paul.
The Senate GOP stood with Bob Bennett, then that other guy, while conservatives stood with Mike Lee.
The Senate GOP stood with Sue Lowden and conservatives stood with Sharron Angle.
The Senate GOP stood with Jane Norton and conservatives stood with Ken Buck. "

Additionally, we see that the GOP establishment has still not seen the writing on the wall. Former G. W. Bush advisor Karl Rove is now putting forth the narrative, essentially, that the tea party is to blame for nominating a candidate that stands little chance of winning. What the hell Karl! The GOP now has its candidate in the DE Senate race. Shut up and get behind her. The GOP elites have made some successful picks and yes Castle would have probably been elected in the general. The point is Tea party conservatives are fired up and are merely demanding that the GOP stand behind its (supposed) platform of lower taxes, individual liberty, and smaller less intrusive government and stop nominating those like Crist, Scozzafava, Specter, and, yes, Castle. I just saw an article that claimed that the Tea Party was now approaching power parity with the other two Main parties. If the GOP was wise it would move to the right and count the Tea Partiers as allies.

JM
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 07:53 pm
@JamesMorrison,
Let's not forget that Lazio lost in the NY Gov race.....that shocked the hell out of me...

One thing I was just thinking, if things go south for the Dems and they lose Congress, and they call a lame duck congress to try to pass some liberal legislation all hell is going to break lose. There is no way that the country is going to stand for that based upon what I am seeing right now. Citizens will descend upon the mall in Anger. At that point Obama might as well hang it up...the GOP could run anyone, even Palin against him, and would win.
Irishk

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 08:13 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
Meanwhile, back in Delaware, O'Donnell did today get some $50K from the Republican National Senate Campaign Committee after all.

She's raised over $750,000 (on her way to $1M) today in a moneybomb effort.

Shocked
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 03:44 am
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

High Seas wrote:
I can't thank you enough

You're welcome.

You mistook my comment for irony - it was not. My thanks to you and RJB are sincere: for 10 months now you've been diligently posting and linking to polls published by more than 10 polling organizations and individual analysts. Your last 3 posts (to which my last post was responding) concerned 3 polls that turned out to be spectacularly wrong, as were almost all of their predecessors.

It's not irony to ask at some point, how come? How could all the pollsters, forecasters, other political experts you and RJB have cited all this time, issue predictions that turned out to be completely swamped by a tide of actual results, all going in the opposite direction? And even if you don't know the answer to that, how can you go on and place any trust in any of your cited pollsters' predictions, given their abysmal track records?

More to the point - is there any political expert out there whose opinion, ex ante, turned out to be confirmed by the experimental results ex post?

There is one, whom I cited on your (RJB's) thread several pages back, when he correctly predicted Miller over Murkowski in Alaska. He also called correctly the NY (Paladino) and Delaware (O'Donnell) results. His politics (and mine, for that matter) aren't yours, so you chose to ignore that data. If we weren't facing national (and state) bankruptcy I wouldn't bother writing this. But (1) we are standing at the edge of a precipice and (2) I can't - yet - bring myself to believe that anyone posting here really wants us to go over that cliff; so I will try one more time:
Quote:
Democrats think the results are good news for them. They are looking into the electoral abyss and, with a president diminishing in popularity, have for months tried in vain to sell their unpopular legislative accomplishments: the stimulus bill, Wall Street reform and the health care clunker. They now are shifting their strategy to running against the "kooks," as some call the Tea Party-endorsed winners..... I feel that strategy will fail as badly as the several others that they have tried.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/09/15/rollins.primaries.republican/?hpt=Sbin

Irishk

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 09:28 am
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

You mistook my comment for irony - it was not.

Nor was mine.

Quote:
My thanks to you and RJB are sincere: for 10 months now you've been diligently posting and linking to polls published by more than 10 polling organizations and individual analysts. Your last 3 posts (to which my last post was responding) concerned 3 polls that turned out to be spectacularly wrong, as were almost all of their predecessors.

If you're referring to polling of the Delaware Senate race prior to the primary, you're mistaken. PublicPolicyPolling had O'Donnell up by 3 over Mike Castle the day before the primary, so while they may have been off on the margin, they called the win for O'Donnell. If either Nate Silver or Stu Rothenberg had reported formal polls on the primary race between the two Republicans, realjohnboy or I would have most likely posted the results here. I don't generally post on the chatter of the pundits in this thread, unless they are connected to a known polling firm, although I enjoy reading information supplied by others - poll-related or not.

Quote:
It's not irony to ask at some point, how come? How could all the pollsters, forecasters, other political experts you and RJB have cited all this time, issue predictions that turned out to be completely swamped by a tide of actual results, all going in the opposite direction? And even if you don't know the answer to that, how can you go on and place any trust in any of your cited pollsters' predictions, given their abysmal track records?

I'm not sure if you're continuing to refer solely to the Delaware race with these remarks, but speaking strictly for myself, I post poll predictions, analyses and results from those sources that are readily available. My intention is to create a record of the given data for comparison and examination following the election. With few exceptions, most of the polling firms used by the posters to this thread have above-average track records.

Quote:
More to the point - is there any political expert out there whose opinion, ex ante, turned out to be confirmed by the experimental results ex post?

Again, if you're referring to the Delaware primary polls, I've pointed to the 9/13 poll by PPP. Marcos of Dailykos, in a post the day of the election, predicted O'Donnell would beat Castle by 7 points. I didn't post that information here, because he didn't poll the race; the comment was made in an informal post on his blog.

Quote:
There is one, whom I cited on your (RJB's) thread several pages back, when he correctly predicted Miller over Murkowski in Alaska. He also called correctly the NY (Paladino) and Delaware (O'Donnell) results. His politics (and mine, for that matter) aren't yours, so you chose to ignore that data.

If you're referring to this post of yours,
You wrote:
"Another straw in the wind - Ed Rollins was the only one among the better-known pollsters to call the Alaska outcome correctly.

If you could provide a link to Ed Rollins' polling company and his analyses, forecasts and predictions, I'd be happy to include those polls in my posts here. As far as I can tell, Mr. Rollins is a political pundit appearing on CNN and while he may have correctly called both the Delaware and Alaska outcomes, there's no formal polling data by a firm connected to him that I can find to back this up.

Quote:
If we weren't facing national (and state) bankruptcy I wouldn't bother writing this. But (1) we are standing at the edge of a precipice and (2) I can't - yet - bring myself to believe that anyone posting here really wants us to go over that cliff; so I will try one more time:
Democrats think the results are good news for them. They are looking into the electoral abyss and, with a president diminishing in popularity, have for months tried in vain to sell their unpopular legislative accomplishments: the stimulus bill, Wall Street reform and the health care clunker. They now are shifting their strategy to running against the "kooks," as some call the Tea Party-endorsed winners..... I feel that strategy will fail as badly as the several others that they have tried.
http://edition.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/09/15/rollins.primaries.republican/?hpt=Sbin[

That's interesting and perhaps valuable information to many reading this thread, but as your link indicates, it is 'opinion' and I'm not sure how it relates to your earlier critical statements regarding the three posts I provided on PPP, The Rothenberg Report or The Cook Political Report's post-primary analyses. Again, only one (PPP) polled the primary race in question and they were correct for the most part. The two others merely offered views on what it meant going forward

I did enjoy reading Rollins' column, so thanks for the link. His parting words sum it up pretty well:

Quote:
The next few weeks are going to be exciting, very important and, if the past is prologue, very unpredictable.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 09:34 am
Quote:
Voters, by a 9-point margin, believe Republicans will pick up both the House and the Senate, even though they are evenly divided over whom they intend to back in six weeks, according to a new POLITICO/George Washington University Battleground Poll.

In a generic matchup between the two parties, those surveyed were split 43-43 when asked if they would back a Republican or a Democrat on Election Day. This is good news for Democrats and at odds with many other public polls, which have shown Republicans holding a single-digit edge.

Better yet for Democrats, in several key regions with numerous House and Senate seats in play — namely, the Midwest and Northeast — they hold a 5-point advantage, suggesting the party’s congressional fortunes aren’t nearly as grim as the media coverage might suggest. (See: Full poll results and analysis)

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0910/42247.html#ixzz0zhtWkbL9

I did read some analysis which broke down the National Generic ballots down by region earlier this year, that unsurprisingly found that the South is so strongly Republican, it is tipping the entire ballot to the Republican side.

Cycloptichorn
squinney

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 09:49 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Hopefully, NC is breaking that trend as more and more northerners have moved our direction.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 02:30 pm
@Irishk,
Thank you for looking up my original posts about Ed Rollins; actually it's the one a few posts before the one you kindly linked >
http://able2know.org/topic/138210-19#post-4333205
> but to my knowledge he makes no public predictions other than those on CNN and similar venues, otherwise his polling and advisory work is private. So I've no streaming poll data to link from him or any organisation he's affiliated with currently - again, that's to the best of my knowledge and I'm certainly not his spokesman. I've known him since the first Reagan administration and I've never known him to be wrong - it's uncanny! As I know that hearsay isn't the purpose of this thread, though, I won't post here further. Thanks again to you and RJB.
JamesMorrison

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 03:22 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Let's not forget that Lazio lost in the NY Gov race.....that shocked the hell out of me...

One thing I was just thinking, if things go south for the Dems and they lose Congress, and they call a lame duck congress to try to pass some liberal legislation all hell is going to break lose. There is no way that the country is going to stand for that based upon what I am seeing right now. Citizens will descend upon the mall in Anger. At that point Obama might as well hang it up...the GOP could run anyone, even Palin against him, and would win.

Yes. One of the harbingers was MA voting Scott Brown to fill Ted Kennedy’s seat (Kopechne's Revenge?) Then the VA and NJ Gov. race (Christie is ripping it up and is now somewhat of a GOP rock star, thank you very much.

As for your second paragraph: Normally I would say that the Dems would not be that stupid but then came the passage of Obamacare and, more importantly re your statement, its midwifery. This lame duck effort would undoubtedly backfire on the Dems in the 2012 elections. Additionally we have just seen a Dem Congressman from, I think, MI sign a pledge to repeal Obamacare if reelected (Taylor I believe). There is a movement within the Dem party to distant themselves from, not only Obama's policies, but the man himself. However, despite Rendell's quizzical ramblings about GOP T-Party "crazies" and the Dem party and Main Stream Media's attempts to discredit true conservatives, the American people are more prepared for a change they can agree with and are willing to participate in the necessary actions to achieve them. It’s a good time to be a conservative!

JM
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 03:26 pm
I have been working on something you all might find amusing to play in with regards to control of the Senate after the election on November 2nd. I have selected races that are regarded as being close. I will post recent polls on those contests, while dropping older polls.
The template I am setting up allows you to quote and edit my post if you find polls that I am not aware of.
There is also a place for you to indicate who you pick to win any of the races.

I realize that this 10 month old thread is evolving from just being observational to involving more opinions about what the outcome should be. I can't do anything about that.
I do hope, though, people will try to be civil to each other.

Watch this space!
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 04:23 pm
The Senate currently has 57 Democrats + 2 Independents = 61. Republicans hold 41 seats.
Here is a list of races that are regarded as being "in play" along with some recent polls:

CALIFORNIA: Barbara Boxer (D) vs Carly Fiorina (R)
.... Fox (9/11): Boxer +2
.... CNN/Time (9/7): Boxer +4
.... Rasmussen (9/6): Fiorina +1
.... Survey/USA (9/1): Fiorina +2
.......... MY PICK: Johnboy (9/16): Boxer

NEVADA: Harry Reid (D) vs Sharron Angle (R)
.... CNN/Time (9/14): Angle +1
.... Rasmussen (9/13): Tie
.... Reuters (9/12): Reid +2
.... Fox (9/11): Angle +1
........ MY PICK: Johnboy (9/16): Reid - but not at all sure

WASHINGTON: Patty Murray (D) vs Dino Rossi (R)
.... Rasmussen (9/16): Murray +9
.... CNN/Time (9/14): Murray +9
.... Elway (9/12): Murray +9
........ MY PICK: Johnboy (9/16): Murray

WISCONSIN: Russ Feingold (D) vs Ron Johnson (R)
no recent polls
......... MY PICK: Johnboy (9/16): No idea

COLORADO: Michael Bennet (D) vs Ken Buck (R)
.... Rasmussen (9/14): Buck +4
.... POS/FM3 (9/1): Bennet +1
........ MY PICK: Johnboy (9/16): Buck

ILLINOIS: Alexi Giannoulias (D) vs Mark Kirk (R)
.... Rasmussen (9/7): Kirk +4
.... Chicago Tribune (9/1): Tie
........ MY PICK: Johnboy (9/16): Giannoulias - but I am guessing

PENNSYLVANIA: Joe Sestek (D) vs Pat Toomey (R)
.... Rasmussen (9/13): Toomey +8
.... Fox (9/11): Toomey +6
........ MY PICK: Johnboy (9/16): Toomey - easily

CONNECTICUT: Richard Blumenthal (D) vs Linda McMahon (R)
.... Quinnipiac (9/12): Blumenthal + 6
.... Rasmussen (9/9): Blumenthal +9
........ MY PICK: Johnboy (9/16): Blumenthal

WEST VIRGINIA: Joe Manchin (D) vs John Raese (R)
.... Rasmussen (9/8): Manchin +5
........ MY PICK: Johnboy (9/16): Manchin

Please feel free to quote this thread in order to use it as a template for adding other polls or for posting your picks.
Irishk

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 05:11 pm
@High Seas,
Now that I have the link, I'll bookmark Rollins' column. I enjoyed reading the one you linked, but admit I wasn't very familiar with him previously. Please share, if you're comfortable doing so, any predictions or info you're privy to through your association with him. When I was looking him up earlier today, I did see his name somewhat connected to one firm, The Polling Company, although nothing in the very recent past.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 06:03 pm
@High Seas,
Seems Ed Rollins is going to help Huckabee with the next presidential election. Should be a good rep for the GOP; even I may vote for him.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 06:33 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
CONNECTICUT: Richard Blumenthal (D) vs Linda McMahon (R)
.... Quinnipiac (9/12): Blumenthal + 6
.... Rasmussen (9/9): Blumenthal +9
........ MY PICK: Johnboy (9/16): Blumenthal

Just an FYI in case you missed it - Charlie Cook moved this race to the tossup column today for a variety of reasons. It's long (but interesting); here's the link: http://www.cookpolitical.com/node/3343
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 06:44 pm
@Irishk,
I disagree strongly with Cook on this one. He bases his analysis on the fact that the race has tightened considerably; well, Blumenthal started out 51 points ahead! I don't know why he's surprised that it's tightened up, especially after McMahon started dumping tons of money into ads for the GE.

McMahon has never lead once in the polling... until she does, I think it's wrong to call it a toss up.

Cycloptichorn
Irishk

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 06:54 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
It surprised me, too. I'm mainly plopping these changes down in this thread for a timeline reference.
realjohnboy

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 06:59 pm
@Irishk,
Yeah. I can't see McMahon winning in CT. I was surprised to see it listed as in play.
realjohnboy

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 07:03 pm
@realjohnboy,
Please feel free to put in your own MY PICKS by quoting and then editing my long post.
0 Replies