Oh, No! Election Day is Tuesday, November 2nd, 2010...

georgeob1

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 07:22 pm
@Irishk,
I wonder if Cyclo is sticking to his emphatic forecast that the Democrats will retain control of the House of representatives?

My forecast was that the Republicans would take the House, but probably not the Senate. perhaps I should revise the latter part.
roger

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 07:53 pm
@georgeob1,
I happen to like Cyclo's prediction. As it stands, the Democrats are primed to claim a win if they only lose 45 seats.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 08:06 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

(P)erhaps I should revise the latter part.

Perhaps you should, particularly if you can cite any polls that you think might be indicative of that. You could well be correct.
The House is a much more difficult thing to predict. We have looked at a couple of races of interest to a few of us but it is really, really tough to get beyond conjecture from pundits who may or may not have a pony in the race.

I hate to come across as a p*ick. But...
We have tried as hard as we can to keep this thread as objective as we can. The green eye-shades: just looking at various polls, noting flaws if we see them.
Very, very few people have taken the time to post. I have gotten words of encouragement, though, from a goodly number of folks from the U.S., Canada, the U.K. and Aus.
I can't set down any rules, of course, but if this turns into just another site for cheap partisan shots passing as wit, the thread will be dead as far as I am concerned.
So be it.
roger

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 08:18 pm
@realjohnboy,
Sorry, John
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 08:43 pm
@roger,
No problem, Roger. I never expected this thread to fly under the radar indefinitely.
I'll ride with it a bit longer. And then bail out.
Irishk

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 09:00 pm
@georgeob1,
I'll probably stick with Charlie Cook, a respected Democratic analyst, who's predicting a 35 - 45 seat pickup for the GOP (with the chances of reaching the high side much greater than just reaching the low side). He points to the 53 seats held by Republicans 4 years ago as key:

Quote:
This doesn’t look or feel like a normal midterm election. "There are two kinds of elections," he said. "There’s sort of the Tip O’Neill all-politics-is-local, and then there are wave elections. We’re seeing just every sign in the world that this is going to be a wave, and a pretty good-sized wave."

Then again, he doesn't count the Democrats out altogether:

Quote:
On the other hand, Democrats might figure out how to do a better job convincing the nation of the wisdom of their policies. The apparent return of General Motors to health after President Barack Obama’s bailout might help. Mr. Obama, who, despite his problems, remains far more popular than his party’s congressional leaders, stands the best chance of making that case.

And Democrats’ money advantage, which Mr. Obama was working to enhance this week with a fund-raising tour, will help in the stretch run.

Above all, Democrats might finally get their base more excited.

I'm not sure I agree with all of that, but there's always the chance of an 'October surprise'.

He's not as sure about the Senate. The GOP would have to take 16 of 18 contested seats and he thinks that's just an 'electoral bridge too far'. I think all the pollsters missed on the Alaska primary, though, so who knows? No one, it seems saw Joe Miller inching up to be competitive with Murkowski (she even got the endorsement of the NRA before the primary!), so I guess it's possible they could be off in some of the other races as well. We'll see.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 09:08 pm
@realjohnboy,
Thanks, RJB, for all your work on the Senate polling. Since you started the thread 6 months ago, I think we've been able to cover most of them twice at least! Good job!
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 09:09 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

I hate to come across as a p*ick. But...

Instead you choose to act like an ass.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 08:45 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

I wonder if Cyclo is sticking to his emphatic forecast that the Democrats will retain control of the House of representatives?

My forecast was that the Republicans would take the House, but probably not the Senate. perhaps I should revise the latter part.

Yes, I am standing by that prediction. Why would I change it now? Because the generic ballot shows a larger lead for Republicans a few months before the elections?

Do you think that's wise?

Cycloptichorn
Irishk

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 04:57 pm
Minnesota Public Radio/Humphrey Institute has a new poll out today on the MN governor's race:

Quote:
Among likely voters, Mark Dayton and Tom Emmer are even at 34 percent support each. Independence Party candidate Tom Horner received 13 percent support.

A fifth of likely voters are undecided. Defections of both Democrats and Republicans from their party's candidates and splits among key voting groups also contribute to the tight race.

More at the link.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 05:09 pm
Two new polls on the Pennsylvania Senate race today. The first from Reuters/Ipsos:

Quote:
Republican Pat Toomey has opened a 10-point lead over Democrat Joe Sestak among likely voters in a Senate race in Pennsylvania dominated by economic worries, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll released on Tuesday.

Toomey, a conservative former congressman, leads Sestak, a retired admiral elected to Congress in 2006, by 47 percent to 37 percent barely two months before the November 2 election to replace Democrat Arlen Specter.

Rasmussen reports:

Quote:
Republican Pat Toomey continues to hold a modest lead over his Democratic Challenger, Joe Sestak, in the U.S. Senate race in Pennsylvania.

A new Rasmussen Reports telephone survey of Likely Voters in the state finds Toomey earning 45% of the vote, while Sestak earns 39% support. Five percent (5%) prefer some other candidate, and 11% are not sure.

0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 05:23 pm
And, a stunner (to me) from PPP (Kos' new pollster):

Quote:
Bush: 50
Obama: 42

We'll start rolling out our Ohio poll results tomorrow but there's one finding on the poll that pretty much sums it up: by a 50-42 margin voters there say they'd rather have George W. Bush in the White House right now than Barack Obama.

Independents hold that view by a 44-37 margin and there are more Democrats who would take Bush back (11%) than there are Republicans who think Obama's preferable (3%.)

A couple months ago I thought the Pennsylvanias and Missouris and Ohios of the world were the biggest battlegrounds for 2010 but when you see numbers like this it makes you think it's probably actually the Californias and the Wisconsins and the Washingtons.

There's not much doubt things are getting worse for Democrats...and they were already pretty bad. Somehow the party base needs to get reinvigorated over the next two months or there's going to be a very, very steep price to pay.

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 05:33 pm
@Irishk,
Quote:
We'll start rolling out our Ohio poll results tomorrow but there's one finding on the poll that pretty much sums it up: by a 50-42 margin voters there say they'd rather have George W. Bush in the White House right now than Barack Obama.
Obama making such a hash of things has certainly done more to advance Bush's legacy than anything Bush could have done the last few years in office. I am certainly coming to the conclusion that he might be more wise than I ever gave him credit for. I am thinking that I might need to read his memoirs in when they come out in NOV. It will be the first I have read since Nixon's.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 05:44 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

IYes, I am standing by that prediction. Why would I change it now? Because the generic ballot shows a larger lead for Republicans a few months before the elections?

Do you think that's wise?

Cycloptichorn

Neither of us knows the future - certainty isn't available to either of us on this question.. However, it appears to me that, based on the available evidence, the likelihood of a Republican House has increased significantly over the last three months. Certainly the general level of unease with respect to economic performance and employment growth appears to have increased - a stark contrast to the more optimistic forecasts of some Democrat strategests just a few months ago. That certainly doesn't ensure a Republican victory, but it is a potentially ominous sign for Democrats.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 09:51 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

I couldn't get the Rollins' interview to work either. It could be because I use Mozilla vs Internet Explorer.

If what Rollins says is correct you can expect all the other pollsters to be wrong. Mozilla opens the interview on my monitor.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 01:47 am
Quote:
WEST ALLIS, Wis. — Senator Russ Feingold says he should not be considered the front-runner in his bid for a fourth term. If that self-appraisal is true, Democrats face a greater risk of losing their majority in the Senate than they believed when summer began.

“Frankly, I love being the underdog,” Mr. Feingold said. “Let me have it.”

As the senator talks to voters across Wisconsin, that description is perhaps an exaggeration for an incumbent with a national reputation, but it has become a central part of his pitch. He is not eager to concede that control of the Senate could hinge on his seat — though it very well could — but he hopes the warning cry will prompt his loyal Democratic followers to rally to his side in a challenging election year.

“Clearly if somehow I lost, it would be a sign that we’re getting close to the line,” Mr. Feingold said in an interview on a recent day of campaigning. “We won’t lose, but it is something that is legitimate for me to mention — this seat could determine things.”

As his predicament suggests, Republicans have a better opportunity to win back the Senate than they had once imagined.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/01/us/politics/01wisconsin.html?hp

Having failed to honor the wishes of the majority, and having failed to pay attention to the mood of the country, the hapless Democrats now find that their goose appears to be cooked.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 02:00 am
Quote:
ANCHORAGE — Senator Lisa Murkowski of Alaska conceded late Tuesday in her Republican primary race against Joe Miller, a lawyer from Fairbanks who was backed by Tea Party activists, Sarah Palin and other conservatives.

Mr. Miller shocked the political establishment here and in Washington last week when he emerged with a narrow lead, 1,668 votes, after the primary vote, on Aug. 24. His victory makes him the presumed favorite to win the Senate seat from this heavily Republican state.

Mr. Miller, who has proposed drastic cuts in federal spending, had trailed badly in local polls in the weeks before the election but benefited from a last-minute flood of advertisements, mailings and automated calls casting Ms. Murkowski as a Democrat in disguise. An abortion-related ballot measure also brought conservatives to the polls.

“Now is the time for all Alaskans to come together and reach out with our core message of taking power from the federal government and bringing it back home to the people,” Mr. Miller said in a written statement. “ If we continue to allow the federal government to live beyond its means, we will all soon have to live below ours.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/02/us/politics/02count.html?hp

Yea who discounts the power driving the Tea Party do so at your own risk. The people feel that they have been abused by Washington, that they have been ignored. Some people such as me saw this coming awhile back, but of course we were belittled when we were not being ignored. It is time for all elitist swine the WAKE THE **** UP! There are going to be some changes acoming.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 06:10 am
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

ALASKA SENATE - REPUBLICAN PRIMARY (8/25) -
Oh my. This is going to very close. The mere fact that it is so close is already a big story.
With 97.9% of the districts counted:
Joe Miller - lawyer and newcomer to politics - 45909 (51.09%)
Lisa Murkowski - incumbent - 43949 (48.91%)

Another straw in the wind - Ed Rollins was the only one among the better-known pollsters to call the Alaska outcome correctly.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 10:55 am
Political Forecaster Predicts Large Republican Gains in House of Representatives

Interestingly, he predicts the Democrats will lose precisely 51 seats in the House of Representatives in the November election, producing a Republican majority.

Quote:
Campbell's forecast, to be presented this week at the Annual Meeting of the American Political Science Association in Washington, D.C., is based on what he calls the "seats-in-trouble model." This forecasting equation factors in the president's approval rating and the degree to which one political party is in danger of losing seats in the election, as estimated by the non-partisan Cook Political Report.

Details of his 'Seats-In-Trouble' forecast can be found here.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 12:03 pm
New PPP poll for 9/1/10:

Palin 2012 in Alaska

Quote:
If Sarah Palin runs for President in 2012 she can't count on a whole lot of support back home. 62% of Alaska Republicans are opposed to her making a White House bid and she gets only 17% in a hypothetical 2012 primary in the state tying for her second with Mike Huckabee behind Mitt Romney.

It's not that Alaska Republicans don't like Palin- a majority of them still do. But there's a significant disconnect between GOP voters in the state liking Palin and thinking she should run for President, a divide we've seen with Republicans nationally and one that presents the biggest threat to a possible Palin candidacy. Even among voters with a favorable opinion of Palin in the state just 39% think she should launch a 2012 bid.

Romney gets 20% to 17% for Palin and Huckabee, 16% for Newt Gingrich, and 10% for Ron Paul. Among Republicans with a favorable opinion of Palin she pulls only 30% and not surprisingly she gets just 3% with ones who don't like her.

Among voters who say they support the goals of the Tea Party only 31% want Palin to run and even with ones who consider themselves to be active members of the Tea Party there are still only 42% who think she should make the leap.

The basic findings of this poll are the same we see everywhere- Republicans like Sarah Palin. They just don't want her to be President. And that holds true even in her home state.

Full results here.
0 Replies