Oh, No! Election Day is Tuesday, November 2nd, 2010...

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 04:52 pm
ILLINOIS SENATE
"Vote often" is a common refrain in IL or at least in Chicago politics. Today folks there can legally do that. The race between Kirk (R) and Gionnolias (D) will be for a full 6-year term beginning in January, 2011.
But also on the ballot will be a vote on who will serve the final two months of Obama's term as Senator. He, of course, gave up the seat when he was elected President.
The now indicted or whatever Governor, Rod Blagojevich, appointed Roland Burris to finish the term and a Court said that (perhaps because of the cost of holding a special election) Burris could hold the seat UNTIL the next regularly scheduled election. That, of course, is today.
So voters in IL will vote for a candidate to begin serving the last couple of months and for someone to serve a full term come January. In theory, it could be two different people.
Only in America. Or at least Illinois.

Polls in many eastern states will be closing in just a few minutes.
squinney

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 05:04 pm
Rand Paul has Kentucky (55%) according to MSNBC.

Rand Paul.

Really?
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 05:12 pm
@squinney,
Really no surprise about Paul winning, Squinney. He got off to a rocky start in his campaigning, but got stronger later against a bland opponent.
I would be surprised if Rand Paul only wins by 5 points. The margins I saw in the last polls had him up by 10.
Senate GOP leader Mitch McConnell earlier on said he would not support Paul. It will be interesting to see if the Repub leadership can reconcile with Tea Party movement supporters, like Paul.
squinney

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 05:29 pm
@realjohnboy,
I'm just a little nauseas. I'm sure it'll pass.

NC polls are now closed.
Irishk

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 05:33 pm
@squinney,
Have a little gingerale (good for tummy upsets).

Put a little Jack Daniels in it lol.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 05:39 pm
@realjohnboy,
Yep! And I voted for two different candidates to fill the two different terms.
wandeljw

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 06:01 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Yep! And I voted for two different candidates to fill the two different terms.

Good Job, JPB! I wish I had thought of that.
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 06:09 pm
@JPB,
Marco Rubio (R) from Florida will win the Senate seat there. Keep your eye on him going forward. He has Tea Party movement support but is quiet about it. He is a Cuban-American.
I could see him as being a Vice-Presidential candidate for the Repubs in 2012 as the leadership tries to figure out what to do about the Tea Party movement which could split the party.
JPB

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 06:10 pm
@wandeljw,
Very Happy

NBC is giving Delaware to Christopher Coons over Christine O'Donnell with 0% of the vote counted.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 06:15 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
Polls in many eastern states will be closing in just a few minutes.

Is that so you can all be in bed at a respectable hour?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 06:15 pm
@realjohnboy,
interesting speculation RJB, I would opine that the Tea Party will self-destruct before the 2012 battles begin. It's own lack or organization and leadership will result in a form of suicide.
squinney

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 06:28 pm
@dyslexia,
It'll only self-destruct if Rove and Armey have found that it has served it's purpose and is no longer needed.
dyslexia

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 06:39 pm
@squinney,
squinney wrote:

It'll only self-destruct if Rove and Armey have found that it has served it's purpose and is no longer needed.
yeah I suppose so, on the other hand it seems to me Rove and Armey are herding cats.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 06:40 pm
@dyslexia,
I wouldn't go that far! There are too many Americans who do not understand much about anything when it comes to running of our government(s). They can't keep up with facts, and trust the misinformation fed to them on a regular basis.

If that were not so, why do most American believe Obama increased their income taxes? Who in their right mind believes any president can create jobs within two years of taking over the white house in a Great Recession?

They love the one-liners they hear from Sarah Palin without understanding their true meaning. Have we ever heard any in-depth solutions to our current problems from any of the Tea Party candidates?

Yeah, cut taxes.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 06:44 pm
WEST VA SENATE-
Manchin (D) is declared the winner over Raese (R). I did not consider this to be in doubt, but it did turn out to come down to the wire for the vacant seat after Robert Byrd (D) died. Manchin, the popular Governor, worked hard to distance himself from President Obama late in the campaign, and that seems to have been successful.
Irishk

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 06:48 pm
@realjohnboy,
I like him. He's got 2 years ... do or die.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 07:08 pm
Wow! Didn't expect this. Not final yet of course, even if it's Nate Silver:

Quote:
9:05 P.M. G.O.P. Senate Chances Down to 2%
An amendment to that previous update: our model hadn't actually processed the call in West Virginia when it said Republicans had a 4% chance to win the Senate. Now that it has, it thinks their chances are just 2 percent instead.

9:03 P.M. West Virginia Called for Manchin
Republican Senate chances are on the ropes. Indeed, The New York Times has called the West Virginia Senate race for Joe Manchin III, who looks like he could win by double digits. Republican chances now rely on winning both California and Washington, without being upset elsewhere. This prospect is, at best, tenuous, and Republican chances of gaining Senate control are now down to 4 percent.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/02/live-blogging-election-night/
sozobe

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 07:50 pm
@sozobe,
And there's hope for Strickland!

Quote:
Another Democrat whose results look reasonably robust early on is Ted Strickland, the incumbent governor of Ohio. Below is a side-by-side comparison of his performance this year and Barack Obama's in 2008, when he won the state by 5 points. As you can see, Mr. Strickland is performing well in essentially all of the areas where Barack Obama did, save perhaps for a little bit of weakness in the Cleveland and Cincinnati suburbs, while doing considerably better than Mr. Obama in the southwestern portion of the state. That doesn't necessarily mean that he's going to win, since his turnout won't be as heavy as Mr. Obama's in places like Cleveland. Still, this is the sort of pattern you might expect to see from a Democrat who ekes out a narrow victory in Ohio.

(Nate again.)

The sidebar thingie has it at 48% for him and 50% for his opponent with a 74% chance of the seat changing hands (Dem --> Republican), (Strickland's the incumbent), so this latest post is a surprise.

I didn't expect to be this interested in election results, so have to turn off the computer but the trickles of new info coming in keep grabbing my attention.
Irishk

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 07:56 pm
@sozobe,
Strickland got the NRA endorsement over Kasich, as I recall. Not sure how much weight that carries, though.
JPB

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 08:05 pm
IL Senate race is getting close. Early returns (mostly Chicago, probably) had Giannoulias (D) up 70%-30% over Mark Kirk (R). It's been slowly getting closer and closer. Now, with 50% of the precincts reporting, it's 50.5% - 43.6%. Obama campaigned heavily for Giannoulias. This has been a tossup race in most of the polls, I believe.