Online dating, flirting and dating burn-out.

littlek

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 07:39 pm
he doesn't know much of me other than my physique.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 07:40 pm
it's a good question, l'k. why does anybody try to impress somebody they don't really know yet?

because they like what they see/hear/feel about the person? they want to spend more time with the person? they want to make the person happy? the person has made themselves an interesting challenge? they want the person/people generally to like them? the other person has impressed them, and they want to live up to their view of that person? ... or ... ?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 07:42 pm
He thinks I'm hot, he thinks I'm a challenge, he thinks I'm a bit nuts. Ok. Is that enough? It depends. If I was outrageously attracted to him, it would be. If I felt it was ok to have a little fling, it'd be fine.... just don't know if I feel either of those ways to him yet.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 07:51 pm
Well, isn't the reason you got involved with this dating service (and the reason he did, too) was so that you could connect with somebody and do fun things? Anyway, he should think you are hot and a challenge and all of those other things... well, I don't know about the nuts part, but....

If you were a guy in an online dating service and trying to meet and make friends with a girl like you... wouldn't you consider asking her what her favorite group was.... and then getting her tickets for their show? To me that's like getting you flowers. He's trying to get another date, sure, but he's also made an attempt to get you to enjoy it. I think he should be applauded, not be considered a suspicious character.

You're the one who has the F2F feelings about him, of course, but from what you've said, his buying these tickets seems like a kindly and pleasant thing to do.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 07:54 pm
mmmmmmaybe
I've more enjoyed the guys who tend to meet me for coffee, not a show. But, maybe I'm scared. Maybe he's being kindly.

I never ever said I thought he was a suspicious character.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 08:06 pm
This guy youve gone out with a couple o times though...the brit ? And hes offering the Pretenders..thats nice....really.
Hes also offering a trip...thats creepy ... at least at this point.
Thats just My Humble Opinion though.
Then again, I knew a gal who went on line for dating, emailed with a guy, he sent her flowers....and when he offered a weekend trip to NY...she took him up on it....takes all kinds. Just depends on you really, and youseem to be a bit stand offish with this one...go to the show..see how you feel after that.
any opps reply mail yet?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 08:10 pm
Wouldn't it be nice if somebody wanted to spend some money on you... take you on a real date... try to show you a specially good time? Even if it isn't somebody that you can "see" yourself with?

I hope it works out for you... is The Prentenders this weekend?

Remember, it's not a wedding, it is just a date. An old-fashioned date. Live it up, that's what I think.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 08:10 pm
no opps mail reply....

I dunno. I'll prolly just tell him how I feel. I don't want the show acting like a carrot infront of my nose until february.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 08:12 pm
Thing is that he already thinks I've been 'hard to get'. Can't imagine him waiting until then.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 08:23 pm
hummm...well..theres nothing wrong with cautious, id be bit stand back myself if that was the case.
Pretenders is February? That is a while...you're right..tell him how you feel about it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 08:25 pm
Do you like him enough to go on a few more dates? Is he an option, from either of your perspectives, to be a friend?

Cuz you know, it still seems like you're looking for THE one, and anyone who doesn't seem likely to be THE one gets moved aside.

I know you don't like the idea of just dating to date, so to speak. How about taking a step back and working on making some friends. You mentioned earlier in the thread that you don't have a lot of IRL friends there. Maybe that's what you need to work on instead on this 'dating' thing.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 08:26 pm
The Pretenders isn't until February? <eyes rolling> Oh my. That is weird.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 09:44 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Do you like him enough to go on a few more dates? Is he an option, from either of your perspectives, to be a friend?

Cuz you know, it still seems like you're looking for THE one, and anyone who doesn't seem likely to be THE one gets moved aside.

I know you don't like the idea of just dating to date, so to speak. How about taking a step back and working on making some friends. You mentioned earlier in the thread that you don't have a lot of IRL friends there. Maybe that's what you need to work on instead on this 'dating' thing.

I don't think he's interested in "Just dating" unless it involves sex. I'm not going that way if I'm not sure I want to be involved beyond "just dating" - a conundrum.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 10:33 pm
I agree with the dude, dude. Plane tix, weird.

I think you can just lay this all out. No decisions have to be made immediately, do they? If you're basically interested, enough to go on a few more non-overseas dates, go ahead. And explain that this whole plane ticket thing doesn't sit right with you, and that the Pretenders is in February, so, we'll see. If he takes that as being more "hard to get", well, fine. That's his perogative, even if he's seeing machinations where there are none. If he gets uppity about it, good riddance.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 10:37 pm
good point. I already tried to scare him off, didn't work. We'll see what happens. Doesn't seem like he's very used to not getting his way.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 11:20 pm
Little k, is this the guy you were flirting with?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 11:35 pm
I was, but in a very odd way.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 08:07 am
Got a note back from the whoops email, all is well, we're friends....
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 08:12 am
whew. Was it an obvious enough oops that he knew it was one?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 08:20 am
Well, he knew it was an oops.
0 Replies