Online dating, flirting and dating burn-out.

littlek

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 09:20 pm
If I get into gear and take courses to get a teaching degree, that's a whole different story. I'll have to be able to afford to do it first....

There is one guy with a dog who I see - there's a bit of a spark there. But, I haven't seen much of him since the weather chilled and I don't know a thing about him. There is one guy who works with my sister who is, apparently, not good dating material. There is one guy who is friends with my housemates who isn't my type. And, one final guy who is in a band with my housemate's s.o. who is also not good for dating.

Thanks Bethie, Blatham and Piffka
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 09:37 pm
little k

The sorts of clubs I'm referring to are really not expensive to join, just a small membership fee or even no fee at all. They'll organize outings on a regular basis and there'll be some cost there, but often not much. There will, for example, be clubs of folks who like to hike, so we're really talking about almost no cost at all. I just typed 'hiking clubs Boston' in on google, and got a bunch of stuff.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 09:55 pm
oh, I see. I'll go check it out.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 09:56 pm
Quote:
There is one guy who works with my sister who is, apparently, not good dating material. There is one guy who is friends with my housemates who isn't my type. And, one final guy who is in a band with my housemate's s.o. who is also not good for dating.

Don't look at them as dating material. Are any of them human beings? Human beings you could be civil to in a group? People who you could walk to the corner with to pick up a coffee? People who might know other people? People who might invite you to other friend's leaf-raking party? You know, friends. Forget about dating. Make some friends.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 10:08 pm
There is a young woman in our office who moved to Toronto from Kiev, Ukraine in June of this past year. She knows 2 people here, who she used to work with in Kiev. They don't live near her, so she is starting all over again, in a new country, in a new language, with very limited social support. She was planning to look into joining a garden club this weekend. Apparently there are a number of them in town, certainly more than i was aware of, and they're free!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 07:30 am
Beth - So right. Not just dating material.

Garden clubs? Might be mostly women, but they have sons. (Not dating material, not dating material -- LOL) A good thing, is most of the meetings will be inside now, and you can bow out, if needed, when spring comes if you don't like it.

How 'bout volunteering at the museums? Or... being an usher in the evenings at some of the shows coming up or at the barely-making-it art moviehouses. Around here, many of those are volunteer jobs.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 08:32 am
little k

I think these women speak wisely. Just throw yourself in with groups of people doing stuff for the fun and friendship and camaraderie of activity with others. You'll have fun, make friends, and it will provide a wonderful crowd of active friendly people, including interesting men.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 09:33 am
yep, it's a good idea.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 09:43 am
If you haven't much money, you can frequently get various grants for teaching degrees. At least, I've heard of such things.

I'm sure you'd be an excellent teacher. Think of all the people you'd meet at school while you're going, and then after you're working. Would you be willing to teach any grade? Do you have any specialities - like photography or computers - that you'd want to teach?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 09:50 am
Litttle k, how do you flirt?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 09:57 am
piffka - there are some grants still to be had for degrees in special ed and urban ed, but those are fewer now that the economy is bad. I'd probably be interested in elementary or middle school more than high school. I'm not sure what I'd teach, but at that level I could teach any subject. The elem school I went to was a pilot school. The students stayed in one classroom with one teacher for most subjects. They left the room and went to a different class with a different teacher only for art, gym and music (and recess). I'd like to work in a school like that.

Lola - doesn't offend at all. I'm terrible at flirting.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 10:56 am
well, little k, there's the thing.............
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 10:57 am
repeat
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 11:05 am
Lola's question, though personal, is not irrelevant. From a fellow's perspective (this one's at least) an element of flirt must be there. But that ought to be understood correctly as vivaciousness, or zest. And interest. If a girl has bright eyes and seems to be interested, then I'm a gonner pretty immediately. Those sorts of signals are far far more interesting and charming and seductive initially than the curve of a thigh or breast. Light-hearted fun is, for me, absolutely the first thing I notice. I suspect this is why I very much vote for activities you enjoy first, and male friend finding as a possible, but not necessary, outcome.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 11:06 am
Here's the thing, Lola, I have always thought that make-up, flirting, etc were mis-representations of me. I'd hate to use fraudulent advertising.

I can flirt and seduce in my 30s, but I can only do it with guys I'm already involved with.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 11:07 am
And, of course, there wouldn't be flirting involved with friend finding expiditions.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 11:08 am
I agree with Blatham here......flirting isn't false advertising.......
it's allowing your interest to show
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 11:09 am
It is false advertising if it doesn't come naturally to me. I don't have a problem letting my interests be known.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 11:10 am
both men and women like to be seduced a bit, it's a turn on when a person finds another turned on
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 11:11 am
I agree, littlek. Unnatural flirting doesn't work. It may for a certain kind of guy, but from what I've gathered from you, I don't think you'd be interested in that kind of guy.
0 Replies