..."to the vagrant gypsy's life"... WHERED THE SUMMER GO?

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 05:17 pm
The farmers (sans kid) are gonna take a sabbatical and take our boat into the Atlantic , around the Cabot Straights, Belle Isle Straights and to Lans Aux Meadows, down to Notre Dame and Placentia , across to Tormentine AND DOWN fUNDY>Its slightly less than 2000 US nautical miles.Itll take us a little more than 2 months as we wish to visit and stay a few days at spots

I have to take a quick run to Maine next week to get some new electronics set in. Im already looking forward with a lot of happy anticipation mixed with a few jots of terror. We can get 20 ft surprise sets of waves and have to make way at a scary slow pace that often doesnt beat the tides. So we can chug away and not get anywhere for days.
Keep us in your hearts for awhile.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 30 • Views: 127,568 • Replies: 1,105

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 05:31 pm
Hey, Boss, those are some of the most, if not actually the most dangerous waters in the world. Keep a weather eye out for the storm surge and the sudden squall, k?

We'll keep the God Squad on simmer until you get back . . .
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 05:33 pm
Wow! That's great! I imagine your kids are grown....? Is it all motor, or does it have a sail?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 05:38 pm
Farmer, have a wonderful time, my friend. I know something of the Bay of Fundy, and Set is right. Be careful!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 05:39 pm
wow, i am green with envy. though i wouldn't be able to make it, would die of claustrophobia. all the more reason to envy you. The Man Who Could! And Did!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 05:45 pm
We actually leave on June 25 but Im already thinkin about it.
I figger there wil be a G.Squad dust up tween now and when we leave set, so Im just bein superstitious by not wantin anybody mad at me before we leave.
We did the lower part of Belle Isle 2 years ago and there were some treacherous waters around The bottom of Fundy in a place called La tete. Im hopin that from The Top of Newfoundland down to our carrying place into Placentia, we will have enough harbors of refuge should we get a sudden squall or a leftover NEaster.

Lil K, Ive sailed and chugged. Sailing is slow, dull and leaves you unable to react quickly enough to save your butt.Our boat is a special rebuild of an old really neat Hinkley lobsterboat. It has plenty of room below and in the pilot house We have a diesel with a big tank and a reserve
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 05:59 pm
Fman - got your radio and your flares? Your GPS?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 06:13 pm
who you callin Fman?
Yeh, you wont get outta any of the ports without a safety check. GPS and radar and sonar are all on a single chart plotter. We got more gizmos than Sharper Image. (I just wanted to see whether that comes up blue as a sponsored link). Were gonna take a waterproof digital recorder that Im gonna rent from a Philly company. Cameras dont take well to seasprays and all. We keep em mostly below and in paper bags in a locker. The diving camera is meant to take the water and only needs to be washed down with water and baby oil. Im hopin we get better whale pix than our 2 year ago trip. Also, since the killer whale pod has been seen this year already, were gonna keep tuned to the VHF and SWX
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 06:54 pm
I've Newfie blood on my Mom's side.
Two-boat Irish.

Have shot of Screech for me.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 07:06 pm
What a wonderful vacation!

Soak up the breeze and the salt, and bring back good stories!!!!

We'll think of you very often!

ENJOY!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 07:47 pm
Yer alway in my heart, farmer, and will be more so when you two are out having a grand adventure.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 07:58 pm
Quote:
Have shot of Screech for me.

Is screech of the alcohol persuasion? then its not fer me. I did all of my drinking (and much of Pennsylvanias) before I turned 40. I like tea on the boat. Even though we have heat underway or in dock (with hookups) if we drift with a sea anchor it can get downright cold , so were always cookin a pot of tea on the stove, Cant use the nuke unless the engines are running.

Lash-Thankyou , I hope to get some good shots of the wildlife. WHen we are making way along Newfoundland I want to stay not too far from shore so we can see the terrain aroundislands in the Notre Dame Bay.

Thanks osso. We decided that were only going to take 2 art tablets and basic art supplies (what would you take on 2 months trip where you couldnt take everything {space} but hadda take somethin?} Its like the Time Machine question for artists.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 08:41 pm
Hmmm, pencils...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 08:43 pm
oh, and erasers.

Now that I've been a drafting person, I might bring an electric eraser, for another kind of fun, given you have juice working.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 12:15 am
Newfies is a hoot (pacem, George, that don't mean i don't like 'em). The oddest wedding i ever attended was a Toronto-Portugese/Newfie wedding. The Newfie in-laws sat there at the reception in stunned silence for awhile, until they loosened up and joined the fun. The Portugese drop a bundle on those do's . . . a dinner with two meat entrées and fish, then a desert table about an hour later, followed by a seafood table at midnight. They play old disco music very loud, and everyone who is old enough to walk, or not too old to walk anymore, as well as those in between, get up and dance. They indulge in disco lights, fireworks and electric pyrotechnics . . . and everybody just plain wears themselves out havin' innocent fun. The Newfies was pretty wore out, too--but they hung in for all the fun, just the same.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 08:21 am
osso. Ive decieded on a bunch of pencils and some watercolor pencils and a series of pens, Inja ink , erasers, cotton cue tips and one brush. I can fit most of this in a roll up carrier thats no bigger than a roll of paper towels and its a naugahyde plastic material.

set we always liked the Newfies, I used to run some projects on the edge of the Long Range and in Argentia (it used to be a weapons testing area for Canajia in WWII and we were finding Unexploded Ordnace all over Placentia Bay. I got to work with some of the engineers who were Newfies and they made ya drink .
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 06:15 am
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 06:19 am
Et pax tecum, Set.

I have several Canadian friends who keep me
well-informed of the latest Newfie jokes!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 09:29 am
Quote:
From newfie.com (I kid thee not)

I tried this url and got a kennel that breeds Newfoundlands. Is there something else on that link?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 09:36 am
duhh. I was typing newfies (as in more than one newfie, which everyone knows is the plural for the dog breed , not a pejorative of an entire culture)

SO, I Finds me newfie dot com and finds me favorite recipe.Moose Stew.

3 pounds of moose cut into small pieces

1/4 pound of butter

6 cups of water

Salt and pepper

Brown moose meat in hot butter, add water, salt and pepper. Let simmer, adding chopped onion after about an hour of cooking. Cook for another hour. Then cut up and add 2 carrots, 2 parsnips, 1 small turnip and 10 potatoes

Cook for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Make dough boys if you wish.

Now me onlly problem is where can I get just 3 pounds a moose meat? They comes only in tree sizes dat I knows

deres yer Huge

and den deres yer Really Huuge

an finally deres yer , we gonna need a bigass crane fer dis one
0 Replies