..."to the vagrant gypsy's life"... WHERED THE SUMMER GO?

farmerman

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 11:50 am
@spendius,
Spendi, you bastard son of a Scottish shepherd and his favorite sheep, YOU, just a few pages ago stated that you had bought and sold boats of a similar style. I assume therefore, that someone who proclaims his familiarity with the transfer of boats would know about the collection and transfer of wastewater on a boat. Its really not difficult to envision or understand.
spendius

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 02:17 pm
@farmerman,
I was merely seeking to get you to describe your having a dump over the taffrail with your balls hanging down over the wake in the freezing spray.
spendius

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 05:38 pm
@spendius,
I know this is off topic but there are few threads where A2kers have access to expert geological advice so I thought I would risk the ire of contributors here.

A geologist was on telly this morning saying that the last time the volcano in Iceland erupted like it is doing now it went on for two years.

What I would like to know is that if it does go on for that long, or even longer, would it have a noticeable effect on the weather? I am 1,000 miles away from the eruption and already there is a dusting of black powder on everything and European airlines are at a standstill as I assume those parts of other airlines which fly to Europe also are. And the moon is a paler shade of chicken.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 05:57 pm
@farmerman,
Id like to post some pictures of my currach project . Im done with all the framing but have hit a snag on the "Stitch and glue" technique. Its not as straight forward as the plans say. I have to bring all the mahogany ply joints together by "stitching " a sereies of chain stitches using copper wires. Then I must glue the whole thing together and then sand the thing down before overlaying and gluing down a fiberglas sheeting. This is done in 2 layers and sanded in between. Ive sent to CLC (chesapeake light craft) for a DVD on the process. They have a schools for stitch and gluing but it doesnt meet again till next June. Id like to finoish this thing by next spring so I can outfit the boat with a sail and a small motor (2.5 or 5 hp).
ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 06:14 pm
@farmerman,
I look forward to see all that, farmer.

I ran into a snag on getting permission to show my friend's horse project - the email online for him comes back as returned by daemon.. we'll see.
farmerman

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 06:30 pm
@ossobuco,
MAybe I can get up some pix of the frame job. Its pretty neat just sitting there like a model airplane kit .

Theres a new Boat out called the GREENLINE HYBRID 33. Its a diesle hybrid elec with a solar panel on the Pilot House . t sea it can move at a comfy 15 k while under hybrid power it does about 10. There are some engine options but this is not a planing hull, its a water displacement "Shoal " hull. Kinda cool , but its a new hull style and I dont like the goofy anchor setup so close to the wterline. Ive been in heavy water with Iapetus which was 38 (40loa) but when water breaks over the bow , you dont need an open porthole.

I know a guy down in LEwes Del who has a 34 ft "Wellcraft" that he got and totally fucked up. He stuck a window air conditioner out the side of the boat and he takes the damn thing out to the Baltimore Canyon where they can get rogue waves. Hes still alive but he says he only runs the AC when hes using shore power. He got the entire boat as a wreck for 35K and he "Fixed it up"

http://www.greenlinehybrid.com/content/gallery/s/ven/12_04_2010_11_52_27.jpg                                   THIS IS THE GREENLINE 33
ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 07:07 pm
@farmerman,
I'm soooo not a sailor, but have lived around avid sailors - my cousins, my last business partner, and so on. I easily get the craft part re your currach.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 07:08 pm
@farmerman,
I'm picturing it sort of like a paleo specimen, not that I've seen any of those in years.
farmerman

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 08:08 pm
@ossobuco,
The currach is a gaelic design that , originally is kind of an ungainly looking boat. The design I chose was an adaption by the Louisiana
"Bayou GAelic SOciety". Its own curragh is a bit longer and sleeker but stil reatining the high prow and more open frame. Its made for rougher water and it keeps dry. NO open boat, other than kayaks actually shed water so a "modern" curragh has compartments for flotation as well. The old boats were merely held together by struts that crossed the frame at right angle to the "backbone" (chine) ofthe boat . The new one actually has several compartments front rear, and amid. In that respect its like a dory but with a rounder bow and a flat stern board so one can mount a small engine. The chine will also be used like a keel to step a small mast and a set of outriggers.

Except for the high rounded bow, it looks actually nothing like an old Gaelic curragh, it looks more like a deeper swamp boat (pirogue) with high sides and a flat stern.

Heres a picture of someones model of a curragh . The sails are a "Guess", See how she rises up in the front. It rides rough water well due to that

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bf/Stbrendanscurrach.jpg
farmerman

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2011 04:04 am
@farmerman,
Well, we have signed on for a sail with friends who have a 65' WESTERLY sailboat. Its a really nifty boat with motorized chocks and everything for rigging located right in the cockpit. Its not my idea of fun cause I liked to pilot my little boat wherever I chose. A sailboat is more a captive of the winds and tide and courses are always a bit modified during the day to accpunt for winds and tidal speeds.

We are putting out of the Chester River near Chesetertown anchorage and will be sailing down and around CApe Charles , Our destination is to CAMDEN MAine for a visit with some friends who just set up housekeeping for good near Blue Hill. We will stop at CApe MAy, Block Island and then (Maybe depending on schedule and storms, Kittery Maine). We are looking forward to the trip and its always nice to have a neat ocean trip to close the summer. Weve been boatless for almost 2 years now and I miss the sea chase. Well be right in the western edge (barely) of the Gulf Strem when we leave CApe Charles, then we will bring back until we are along the Continental shelf and along the "Kelvin Seamount" (We want to see some whales as they begin gathering up for thweir migrations south).
We will be gone till about the 12th or 3th depending on the long term weather. (Weve got 2 storms coming up the alley and we may be sitting out any heavy weather (were all well trained in seamanship but we are not stupid cause a tropical storm in shore is a deadly widow maker off shore unless youre on an aircraft carrier or a sub).
Didnt get much sleep last night packing our ditties and vid camera. Be leaving home after 11 or so, we will sail out this PM with the tide out of the Chesapeake Bay and round the CApe in the dark. We should be in Cape May for supper on SUnday..
Izzie

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2011 04:07 am
@farmerman,
Have a fabulous time FM! Bon voyage and safe travels!
farmerman

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2011 04:18 am
@Izzie,
YAAAAR,
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2011 04:45 am

Hey, that post done gone.

Anyhoo, good luck Marco Polo.
farmerman

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2011 05:46 am
@McTag,
ND a HEART YAQAAAAR to ye also McTee
spendius

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2011 07:52 am
@farmerman,
What's this rubbish doing on My Posts? I only engage in serious discussions about important matters. It is discussions about serious matters that got us to where we are today. Under the very long-winded Matriarchy there were no serious discussions about important matters which is why it stagnated for so long. It was only when the division of labour principle emerged as a consciously chosen adaptation that it became obvious that if men's lot were to be changed for the better we should sit around in the sun discussing important matters and the women should do the other tasks so that our minds would be uncluttered by mundanities.

And it worked. Plato would be flabbergasted if an ancient science-fiction writer had published a papyrus describing us lot. Take an ice-cream van for example. And there was a bonus. It worked for women too. Their lot was improved out of all imaginable scope as well. Not for them being scarcely able to contemplate the coming day. They have diaries now which help them look forward in anticipation to the coming year.

But when we see women now, and so often, sitting around discussing important matters it is bound to give us pause for thought and particularly when men seem more and more concerned with mundanities, such as building an authentic currach out 0f the latest hi-tech gizmo fixers and having their hair styled.

If we are over-turning the original division of labour choice we are saying that it was mistaken and anyone saying that should eschew ice-cream vans and seek to lap their refreshment from a puddle.

The problem is that the female mind is actually mundane. And rightly so. It is misogynistic to think otherwise or to think there's something wrong with it being. Hence it is incapable of contemplating the sort of important matters which produced our cornucopia of goodies.

That'll teach fm to blurt his way to the top of My Posts when he has nothing useful to say.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 09:28 pm
F-man, how'd your trip go? This weekend, I finally got to Portland to visit a friend. We kayaked north of Portland (maybe as far as Brunswick) and we wandered around the old military forts around the bay at Portland. I found some great geology including quartz intrusions. But, I couldn't answer the questions my friend asked about the bubbly stone (looks like swiss cheese). If I post a pic, could you help me out?
rosborne979

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 08:17 pm
@littlek,
Where did farmerman go? Haven't seen a post in a month.
littlek

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 07:40 pm
@rosborne979,
He said on 9/3 that: "We will be gone till about the 12th or 3th depending on the long term weather." So, seems that maybe he could just be getting back now?
ehBeth

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 11:24 am
@littlek,
I hope the fman's home soon!
ossobuco

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 11:24 am
@ehBeth,
Tap, tap, tap..
0 Replies