..."to the vagrant gypsy's life"... WHERED THE SUMMER GO?

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 05:55 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Are you being had up a stick?
??????
spendius

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 06:05 am
@OmSigDAVID,
It's a folk English expression for being taken advantage of without knowing.

Had on. Being creamed with little effort.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 07:47 am

In that case:
the answer to your question is: no.
farmerman

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 08:56 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Might I have my thread back? I was trying to use it as more of a journal, not a journey into vituperation.
farmerman

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 07:27 am
@farmerman,
Well, sometime this PM we will take a small shakedown to Grand Manaan, a small island at the mouth of Fundy. They are reporting sitings of several whale pods, mostly finbacks and Minkes. Id love to see a humpback . The weather looks iffy but we can handle a blow i9n the BAy, its out at sea where we get these unexpected waves that can be frightening . Too mutch fetch breeds big waves, several miles of headlands refracts them and keeps them smaller. Up to about 10 feet were pretty good. When they get in the range of 15 to 20, they can be startling. Anything bigger is downright deadly for our little boat.
If we aint back by Tuesday, start worrying for us.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 08:13 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Well, sometime this PM we will take a small shakedown to Grand Manaan, a small island at the mouth of Fundy. They are reporting sitings of several whale pods, mostly finbacks and Minkes. Id love to see a humpback . The weather looks iffy but we can handle a blow i9n the BAy, its out at sea where we get these unexpected waves that can be frightening . Too mutch fetch breeds big waves, several miles of headlands refracts them and keeps them smaller. Up to about 10 feet were pretty good. When they get in the range of 15 to 20, they can be startling. Anything bigger is downright deadly for our little boat.
If we aint back by Tuesday, start worrying for us.
IF thay r bigger than 20 feet,
what do u plan to do ?

David
farmerman

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 09:43 am
@OmSigDAVID,
we will try to avoid being in an area with a sea advisory. I cant predict a single "Rogue wave" greater than 20 ft, but Ill stay away fromadvisory conditions and small boats advisory. (Ours is 38 ft usable) and thats considered a small boat so theSBA's that come over the radio or screen will be heeded. Ats all we can do. If youre heading to a wave and its too high, try to point your ass at it unless its breaking. Ive heard of small boats being rolled over and sinking by keeping their sides to the waves.
Coast Gurads use "Safeboats" which, while so damn lunky looking, are able to take multiple side rolls and come up right side up. Outside of the coffee pot getting spilt and the melmac dishes dumped, they suffer no ill effects.

Mine would sink like a stone

We will look at advisories before we leave and if conditions are marginal we will try to approach Manaan from the lee. and will plan our course wrt to the prevailings
farmerman

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 11:50 am
@farmerman,
casting off in an hour (#PM edt)
George

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 11:55 am
Fair winds and following seas!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 12:28 pm
@farmerman,
I live through your sails vicariously dude.
Keep that captain's log filled.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 04:17 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

casting off in an hour (#PM edt)
Bon voyage, Farmer

R u gonna fish from your boat ?
If so, what do u hope to catch ?
I imagine that it will be fresh.

David
ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 04:28 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
and a hearty buon viaggio, Farmer and Wife.
spendius

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 05:55 pm
@ossobuco,
Why does effemm want to risk his life like this is what I want to know.

Continuation of life at the behest of a "rouge wave" is a bit like Russian Roulette although admittedly with better odds.

If you get up close to any whales effemm keep out of the spray from their spouts. Melville says it can strip the skin off your bones.

His "The Cassock" chapter is hilarious.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 06:12 pm
@spendius,

From his posts, I surmise that he considers it to be fun.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 06:16 pm
@farmerman,
<waving farewell>

This is really exciting! Smile

Good luck in your travels, farmer & Mrs farmer. And have a wonderful time.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 12:04 am

I must go down to the seas again
To the lonely sea and the sky
And all I ask is a GMC-powered planing hull
With automatic pilot and Satnav to steer her by....
spendius

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 01:24 pm
@McTag,
The famous opening lines of a famous book by a man of genius.

Quote:
Call me Ishmael. Some years ago - never mind how long precisely - having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen, and regulating the circulation. Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off - then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can. This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship. There is nothing surprising in this. If they but knew it, almost all men in their degree, some time or other, cherish very nearly the same feelings towards the ocean with me.

Not me though. Reading about it is quite sufficient.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 07:38 pm
@McTag,
SHAKEDOWN are over, Now were ready for a longer trip. We decided to leave on Thurs PM (maybe)
MCTquote] Its a deepV and twin Yanmar diesels[/quote]. All the electronics and a weather fax and a multiple frequency radar. (Dont much matter how good the GPS is if you cant see another boat 100 ft ahead in the fog).
Well we did see a lotta fog and on Sunday we towed another boat to Lords Cove on Deer Island. The guy got a length of wire leader tangled up in his prop and wasm=nt able to free it through the packing box.
We were invited for aupper and we met some really nice people . The guy is what wed call a waterman (a Maryland term) and he fishes and lobsters and scallops, and urchin dives. His family is in a comfy place overlooking the Head Harbor Passage and the East Quoddy Light. Id kill to live in plce like that.

We were told a story of how his brother , during a scallop dragging trip, lost power on his dragger and was smashed against the rocks.Apparently they couldnt get a fix on the rocks and the wave action can be very strong. The man and a crew of two were drowned and his boat was all smashed up. All this less than two naut mile from their docks.
The sea can claim even the most careful sailor.

farmerman

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 07:41 pm
@farmerman,
Still on a Moby Dick kick spendi?

I sure as hell wont call you Ishmael, youre more like fish meal.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 09:07 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Quote:
SHAKEDOWN are over, Now were ready for a longer trip. We decided to leave on Thurs PM (maybe)
MCT Its a deepV and twin Yanmar diesels. All the electronics and a weather fax and a multiple frequency radar.
(Dont much matter how good the GPS is if you cant see another boat 100 ft ahead in the fog).
Well we did see a lotta fog and on Sunday we towed another boat to Lords Cove on Deer Island. The guy got a length of wire leader tangled up in his prop and wasm=nt able to free it through the packing box.
We were invited for aupper and we met some really nice people . The guy is what wed call a waterman (a Maryland term) and he fishes and lobsters and scallops, and urchin dives. His family is in a comfy place overlooking the Head Harbor Passage and the East Quoddy Light. Id kill to live in plce like that.

We were told a story of how his brother , during a scallop dragging trip, lost power on his dragger and was smashed against the rocks.Apparently they couldnt get a fix on the rocks and the wave action can be very strong. The man and a crew of two were drowned and his boat was all smashed up. All this less than two naut mile from their docks.
The sea can claim even the most careful sailor.

Wow; that 's a thought provoking story, at the end.
I hope that u 'll be careful.

Do u have a pirate detector on your multifrequency radar ?
I wish u had an M2 .50 caliber m.g. on board.

David