..."to the vagrant gypsy's life"... WHERED THE SUMMER GO?

farmerman

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 08:35 pm
@spendius,
suitably tanked and mellow are we your Harleyness?
spendius

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 09:26 am
@farmerman,
Well then-- a quotation to back up my previous post-

Quote:
Certainly, more lovable than these ( the people ), in the story's own emotional climate, are the fountain and the walnut tree, undemanding instigators of lyrical feeling, and then again the sea, element of infinite fluidity--symbol , for Thomas Mann, of life blissfully halted at the stage of boundless potentiality and not yet subject to the rigorous restriction of finite forms, intimation of the inarticulate, immeasurable, infinite, and closest approximation within the material world to the eternal void and nothingness.

One might speculate on a sea-loving data kind of guy with an ineffable yearning for nothingness.

I'm a people kind of guy and therein lies our difference. In case you haven't noticed yet the liet-motif of my posts is the dynamic of human relationships. All anti-ID posts are related to dry, bloodless scientific facts which are only tangentially related to the human irrationalty which is the principle fact as far as an educational system is concerned. Anti-IDers are scared of human beings and their irrational and unreasoning behaviour. They are only comfortable with sanitised certainties.

They want to turn us all into zombies because zombies are easy to understand and control.

But a "data kind of guy" besotted with an entity not yet subject to the rigorous restriction of finite forms (i.e. data) is rather confusing.
farmerman

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 04:07 pm
@spendius,
Im sorry, I had to take a trip up to get my boat launched for the year. I really dont have a clue why you are all excited. Are you just lonely , or is it something else?

Are you familiar with what Thomas Gainsborough said about John Singleton Copely?
farmerman

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 09:00 pm
@farmerman,
Well we had sopme minor refits and we launched with a new steering setup on the blowtubes. The last people who chartered the boat really fucked up the electronics. They fortunately didnt go outside of sight of land or they would have wound up in Iceland. THey didnt even put in a new roll of fax paper.
spendius

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 03:55 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Are you just lonely , or is it something else?

Nah--It's not something else. I'm lonely. Everybody is lonely. It's the deluded ones who think they are not lonely.

Generally speaking, I think, hyperactivity, which might be considered as all unnecessary getting off the couch, is directly proportional to how lonely people feel and how scared they are of the feeling.

I like it. It seems stupid to not like something you are stuck with.

Obviously, propagandists for the sale of junk and gee-gaws, will make out that being lonely is a mark of the loser and the inadequate and a sign of failure.

I've been re-reading Riesman's Lonely Crowd lately.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 12:28 pm
@farmerman,
Well, we arrived in Calais Me and will stay here a few days ubtil we move down to Eastport, (We rented our land to another RVer and they are there till mid week. We will putt around the ST Croix River a while, then next week we will set off and go up to PArrsboro at the Head of the BAy of Fundy. Wwe hope to see some whales.
spendius

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 01:42 pm
@farmerman,
I'm reading Moby Dick effemm. What do you wish to know about whales?

Or about great writing?

Ever heard of the Plum-pudding run?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 02:10 pm

I hope that u r well armed against pirates, Professor.

David
spendius

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 02:12 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Such things never enter my head Dave.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 02:22 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Such things never enter my head Dave.
Well, I hope that u r safe too
(I 've heard that violent crime is far up in England, since defensive guns were prohibited),
but actually, I addressed that aspiration to Professor Farmer,
who I infer is upon the hi seas, or rivers (not having read the entire thread).

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 02:24 pm

Your helplessness is rather sad.
England was not always like that.
Englishmen were well armed until around the First World War.
My grandfather came from there in the 1800s.

Being well armed promotes self-reliance and Individualism.

David
spendius

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 03:23 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
(I 've heard that violent crime is far up in England, since defensive guns were prohibited)

I very much doubt it. Media plays it up. But I don't know for sure.

The murder rate in the USA is o.o428 per thousand. Here it is o.o141. Which is a substantial difference.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 03:26 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Your helplessness is rather sad.

It's odd how many Americans resort to that remark.
farmerman

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 04:38 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I keep a "taken down" riot gun in the galley and in the aft lockers. I have 2 barrels in case we are boarded and given a "drug inspection" (International Law knows no probable cause apparently cause we get boarded at least once every two years)

I keep a short (18" barrel) packed in the engine crawl space and I keep a standard length barrel on the shotgun for travel. Once the cops see the gun with barrel connected, they seem to not stay interested in seeing whether you have the additional makings of a sawed off. Long guns in Canadian Waters arent a big problem especially if you say that youre tuna fishing.

There is a problem with some piracy in Canadian US border waters but its mostly sailboats that are getting overrun.

We often huddle up with a group of trawlers (Mainships are small trawlers that are all pilot house and living space), when we get in really big waters ..
spendius

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 05:03 pm
@farmerman,
That sounds like serious paranoia from where I sit.

Why anybody would put themselves in a position to generate that amount of protection is beyond me.
farmerman

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 05:08 pm
@spendius,
well, thats why youre entire life is being played out on a barstool and mine is out at sea enjoying myself.

When you get a clue, Ill be glad to continue being baited by your trolling, until then, why not just continue on getting tanked and watching the tube.
spendius

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 05:17 pm
@farmerman,
That's a certainty effemm.

You can have the salt spray and the brine and the cramped quarters and the lamp swinging from side to side and all the rest which I can't be bothered listing on account of how long it would take.

Have you ever read Moby Dick in a recliner with a Test Match on the new 47" screen and the maids bringing cups of tea and chocolate digestives at regular intervals.
farmerman

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 06:23 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
You can have the salt spray and the brine and the cramped quarters and the lamp swinging from side to side and all the rest which I can't be bothered listing on account of how long it would take.

Tell me about the part where you believe that I even give a **** about anything that you think?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 06:34 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I keep a "taken down" riot gun in the galley and in the aft lockers. I have 2 barrels in case we are boarded and given a "drug inspection" (International Law knows no probable cause apparently cause we get boarded at least once every two years)

I keep a short (18" barrel) packed in the engine crawl space and I keep a standard length barrel on the shotgun for travel. Once the cops see the gun with barrel connected, they seem to not stay interested in seeing whether you have the additional makings of a sawed off. Long guns in Canadian Waters arent a big problem especially if you say that youre tuna fishing.

There is a problem with some piracy in Canadian US border waters but its mostly sailboats that are getting overrun.

We often huddle up with a group of trawlers (Mainships are small trawlers that are all pilot house and living space), when we get in really big waters ..
I think it was in the 1980s that Congress enacted a statute
whereby the Coast Guard, or Border Patrol, or Customs began robbing
drug smugglers of their boats.
(Thay also robbed innocent non-smugglers of their boats,
that were too expensive [lawyers' fees] to sue to get back.)

In reprisal, and with a vu toward keeping a profitable livelihood going,
drug smugglers became pirates in the water off of Florida,
stealing the locals' pleasure craft and murdering the locals.
The local citizens then began to take defensive submachineguns
out with them. My personal taste does not run to shotguns,
tho I acknowledge their usefulness; thay have their advantages.

A few weeks ago, I read of pirates impersonating drug inspectors
and then boarding ships for piratical purposes.
(I wonder whether that practice is especially popular on April 1st.)

What r "big waters"? Tall waves ?
I am not a nautical person.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 06:38 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
Quote:
That sounds like serious paranoia from where I sit.

Does that mean that u deny the existence of pirates?

spendius wrote:
Quote:
Why anybody would put themselves in a position to generate
that amount of protection is beyond me.

U cannot conceive of self-defense ?
Y is that ?

David
0 Replies