The very, Very, VERY Serious thread . . .

cavfancier

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 12:04 pm
I assure you, I am alive and well, rarely eat ham sandwiches, and never liked the Mamas and the Papas.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 12:27 pm
(but you seem fond of the alternative --low-- definitions...)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 12:38 pm
Oh, I am Laughing Had a grandpa fond of toilet humour and gross-out stuff...must run in the family. He was a doctor and loved to take patient calls during dinner and loudly proclaim things like "What color did you say your pus was again? Green? Okay," and stuff like that. Burps and farts were always funny as well, the more creative the better.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 12:48 pm
A man of good breeding. Perfectly natural, of course, that you should end up in the kitchen. (Not a joke; I've been a dishwasher. Them restaurant kitchens are wild. They don't pay you much for hosing off the plates, though.)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 12:55 pm
That is precisely why I learned to cook...more prestige, slightly better pay.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 01:07 pm
And you get to sample the food before someone else has had their way with it...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 01:55 pm
True, and at staff dinner, if I want to mix chocolate and okra I can, and the waiters have to eat it or starve, heh heh....
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 01:58 pm
't's better than working as a bed louse in a dermatology clinic. there you don't get staff dinners, you get staph dinners.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 03:06 pm
Wonderful book by George Orwell, Down and Out in Paris and London, about his days of peripatetic poverty after univesity. He was a plongeur in a white-tablecloth restaurant in Paris, an' it warn't pretty.

In the Columbus, Ohio area, dishwashers aren't to be had for less than $9.00 or $10.00 an hour (Cav, that's US dollars, which, if i recall correctly, is several hundred Canajun dollars). There is (was?) a houseful of Mexican dishwashers livin' by Goodale Park, whom i used to see when i rode the bus to work (don't live in town no more). They would be on the early morning bus, headed for one job, and when i rode the bus home, they would get on to head to their second jobs. That's not the kind of money to get rich on, but with two jobs each man, six livin' in one house, they were makin' money hand over fist. I imagine that between them, they were supporting one modest village in rural Mexico. Damned good workers, too, if they were anything like the Mexican dishwashers i've seen in the white-tablecloth restaurants in town. I've known a lot of chefs in the area, and gotten to know their kitchens, as well as having worked as a prep cook for extra cash on weekends. Many of the Mexicans display some talent, and many have gone on to become prep cooks or line cooks, which earns them far more money than they could otherwise expect to make. It ain't easy bein' a country boy without higher education or marketable skills, and the ones i've known were always relatively cheerful about their lot in life, and made the most of their opportunities.

But this is a serious thread--a very, Very, VERY serious thread, and we must return to serious topics . . .

Like toilet humor . . .

Or ham sammiches . . .

Old Rabbi and his friend from childhood, a now retired priest, are sittin' on a park bench in the warm sunshine:

"So, Lev, tell me, you ever eat a ham sandwich?"

"Well, Mickey, yes, indeed i have, and it was pretty good, as a matter of fact. But tell me, Mickey, did you ever get laid?"

"Well, i . . . uh . . . i mean, before seminary, you know."

"Beats the the hell out of pork, don't it?"
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 03:13 pm
'Tis a good book, and the restaurant bits probably the most interesting. (Tramping around the outskirts of London from flophouse to flophouse seems to have got a bit repetitive -- but I suppose that's the point, isn't it?)

Yay, the dishwashing was in my little whitebread hometown. I (an anglo kid) tried to get the same job in Santa Cruz, but they just laughed and turned me away. California (and New York, and elsewhere) kitchens...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 03:17 pm
And speakin' of toilet humor, i always dreamed of bein' a colo-rectal surgeon, but age has brought wisdom--i have scant patients dealing with assholes . . .
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 09:31 pm
I'm fascinated that the banner ads for this VERY serious thread, mostly occupied by males, are for discount bras and 40 colo(u)rs in fishnet stockings!
Wheeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 11:33 pm
To quote a local radio station: "If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?"
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 02:30 am
margo wrote:
I'm fascinated that the banner ads for this VERY serious thread, mostly occupied by males, are for discount bras and 40 colo(u)rs in fishnet stockings!
Wheeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The males might want to buy them for their girlfriends/wives/mistress/boyfriends
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 05:32 am
Hey Gautam, why would a true queen never consent to a colostomy? Too much trouble finding shoes to match the bag Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 06:33 am
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! choke!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 06:37 am
Hey...dere's a wimminy wabbit in here....
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 06:51 am
<GASP>
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 06:56 am
Maybe we should set some wabbit twaps...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 09:44 am
Hey, taking a crap in a bag is no laughing matter.

But enough about McDonalds...
0 Replies