ear infection

sozobe

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 03:01 pm
littlek wrote:
Soz, I missed you up there. You haven't found a suitable soup beside chicken noodle and she hates it? I mix the chicken broth with vegie broth when I cook with broth. This way the flavor of the chicken is much diluted. I make a corn and bean soup with a roux, if you skip the roux part, you'd have broth. What about the soup doesn't she like?

The soup part.

Unfortunately.

She's been just generally anti-soup for the last year or so. (Before that she would grudgingly have SOME soups, but she's never been much of a fan.) The best I've done so far is rice with soy sauce.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 03:57 pm
littlek :
did a bit of a google chase re . vinegar .
first went to the german google site and found that i needed to look for "aluminum acetate" (see bottle from german health network) .

from there i went to the website of the u.s. national health library .
both sites confirm that acetic acid (vinegar) is an old but very reliable antibacterial agent . certainly not as much profit for the pharmacy and the drug companies as for high-priced antibiotics .

pubmedsite states : "aluminum acetate solution, is effective in inhibiting various microorganisms " .

since vosol is no longer available in canada , i'm now using "burosol" - a solution of .5 % aluminum acetate and .03% benzethonium chloride .

i'm not suggesting that you use "aluminum acetate" or any of those commercially available solutions .
perhaps your physician or pharmacist can tell you if it might be of use for your particular ear problem .

i know even an itching ear - particularly at night - can be pretty irritating , so your ear ache must be quite painful .

sure hope you get help soon !
hbg

btw it was a bit of fun tracing this through two google sites

http://dc2.uni-bielefeld.de/dc2/////essig/images/hac-51.jpg

...ALUMINUM ACETATE...

...BUROSOL...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 04:42 pm
I/m wary of the aluminum part.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 04:42 pm
So...how goes the wee k today?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 04:48 pm
I felt pretty good this a.m. Then the ear started getting stuffed up again. So, I took a nap (about an hour long). It didn't help and I felt as though I'd over-slept. The fleshy part below my cheek bone and in front of my ear is swollen again as is the soft spot behind my lobe. Still full, though less so and still ringing and popping both in and out.

I still feel less stoopid. So, something has changed.

Thanks for asking.

And, btw, my mom called to see Ihow I was doing today.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 05:02 pm
littlek wrote:
I felt pretty good this a.m. Then the ear started getting stuffed up again. So, I took a nap (about an hour long). It didn't help and I felt as though I'd over-slept. The fleshy part below my cheek bone and in front of my ear is swollen again as is the soft spot behind my lobe. Still full, though less so and still ringing and popping both in and out.

I still feel less stoopid. So, something has changed.

Thanks for asking.

And, btw, my mom called to see Ihow I was doing today.

Well, good in parts!

When I had the bilateral monster bug, that would happen...the up and down thing.

That puffiness sure sounds bacterial to this ignoramus....but I guess it's from lying down.

Hey....I was so deaf it scared the hell out of me, and it took ages for me to get such hearing as I normally have back again. But it DID come back.

Just in case you were worried....

Glad your mum rang.

Smooooches.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 05:34 pm
littlek wrote :

Quote:
I/m wary of the aluminum part.

i can understand that you may have some questions about it ; that's why i suggested that you may want to get prof advice .
i see that burosol is used to treat radiation sores with a great deal of success . see link page 3 - don't know how to copy it .
i certainly had my fair share of alu acetate treatment as a child , particularly for wound dressings and as a gargle for tonsillitis - before antibiotics came along .

btw is there any possibility of your eustachian tube being plugged up ?

hope you'll feel better soon !
hbg

BUROSOL USE TO TREAT RADIATION SORES - SEE PAGE 3
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 10:37 am
any progress today, littlek?

another good sinus-clearer is Chinese mustard...
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 11:08 am
region wrote :

Quote:
another good sinus-clearer is Chinese mustard...

the one i prefer and really like is horseradish - which also has good medicinal properties !
we used to be able to buy powdered british hr and i would mix up a batch ; since we can't get that any more we buy "creamed hr " from A & P - also very good - it'll be on the lunch/dinner table shortly !
hbg
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 11:15 am
It almost feels like I am getting a new cold. Which wouldn't surprise me since my nephew had a mild cold last week and I worked friday at the elementary school. I've had sneezing, runny nose and itchy throat since last night. The ear is still full and ringing. When I blow my nose it pops in a most uncomfortable way and them slowly plugs back up again.

About the puffiness - it was worst after I'd been standing all day at work. I don't think it has to do with lying down.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 12:17 pm
"horseradish" - from the UCLA BIOMEDICAL LIBRARY :

Quote:
Medicinal Properties The medical use of horseradish and wasabi includes the treatment of sinus, throat and lung problems, since pungent spices loosen up impacted mucus. Horseradish has also been described as a diuretic and is used as a source of Vitamin C. Its value as an antihelminth and for treating infections has never been proved

had my dose of horseradish at lunch - it's already clearing my sinus cavities :wink: !
hbg

...HORSERADISH - MEDICINAL PROPERTIES...
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 05:34 am
My grandmother used to make horseradish that you could see fumes rising from. It cleared everything!

How you feeling today, littlek?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 07:32 am
Roberta - MUCh better! Thanks for asking. You've been very good to me this last week.

I feel as if the infection has finally ceased. The ears are stuffy, but the dizzy and woozy are gone.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 07:36 am
good news. seems like the second antibiotics worked. or it's getting better on its own, i guess you'll never know....but who really cares, as long as you're feeling better.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 07:38 am
Exactly!

<putzacola>
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 07:39 am
littlek wrote:
Roberta - MUCh better! Thanks for asking. You've been very good to me this last week.

I feel as if the infection has finally ceased. The ears are stuffy, but the dizzy and woozy are gone.

Yay!!!!!!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 07:40 am
<grin>
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 11:12 am
Roberta wrote:
My grandmother used to make horseradish that you could see fumes rising from.

Laughing

Glad you're feeling better, littlek!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 02:14 pm
Glad you're on the mend, kid.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 02:33 pm
Great!

(ack, I miss the UCLA Biomed... so many hours...)
0 Replies