ear infection

sozobe

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 04:00 pm
I did!

That's a bit confusing though. I mean pretty much all eardrum perforations are tiny, but the nature of it is if there is pain, it's because of pus pressing against the eardrum -- if you already have a hole, that pressure shouldn't be happening. Even if the pus isn't all finding its way out of the hole, if there is enough pressure for it to hurt, and the hole is too small, then the hole should widen.

Have you ever been told that you have scarring on your eardrum?

I wonder if there could be a combination thing going on? I saw a few references to that when I was looking up differences between otitis media (middle ear infections) and otitis externa ("swimmer's ear").

Did you tell him about the original clear/ red fluid, and the oil? (I'm sure you did, sorry.)

Anyway, very glad that you went to see a doc, hope that you're doing much better soon.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 04:07 pm
Soz - Told him about the fluids, but not the oil. He said he couldn't see the perforation. Sounded like he usually could see them when they were there.

It's quite possible that I have scar tissue. I can't remember if that came up at my last hearing exam. It would make sense. My eardrums are fairly inflexible, I think. I can't 'pop' my ears like others going up and down mountains or when flying. The pain from flying can be excrutiating. Maybe it's thickened over the years - scarring or no scarring.

Thanks to everyone for being there for me!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 04:27 pm
Take it easy, kid. Glad you got things checked. And feel better.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 04:28 pm
Thanks Roberta
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 05:58 pm
How are you feeling now? Better?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 07:00 pm
I took the psuedoephedrine and didn't feel much better. Then I used the nose spray (oxymetalozine) just now and within minutes (like 5!) my sinuses were clear and pressure lightened on my drums. That stuff is liquid gold. No wonder people get hooked.

And I have tomorrow off. Yay!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 07:03 pm
Great!

Rest is super-important.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 07:04 pm
Mmmmm..... I'm done with the second part of my homework and while I have other stuff I need to do for school, that was the only thing due tonight. I think I'll watch a movie and go to bed.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 07:06 pm
As sozlet knows to recite when prompted with a "what do I always say...?", "Sleep is the best medicine!"

(For her, it totally is.)

Sleep well.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 07:07 pm
Thanks for your expertese (?), soz.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 07:10 pm
Glad you're feeling better, darlin. Now go put that witch costume on and... Razz
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 02:18 pm
How's the ear today, K?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 02:24 pm
I still feel crappy. Now my head hurts, I'm dizzy and the ear is ringing. Things have turned yellow and goopy and the ear is still oozing and throbbing. When am I supposed to be feeling better?
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 02:30 pm
It wil take some time, I'm sorry to say. What kind of antibiotics did you get? Did they give you the mega dose ones that you only take ofr four or five days?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 02:35 pm
Sorry there's no significant improvement, littlek. Hang in, kid.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 02:37 pm
They gave me amoxicillin, I take them for 10 days.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 02:40 pm
Yikes. You know me, I'd be wanting to call...

but I'm not experienced with ear infections.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 02:44 pm
I am trying to get ahold of the person I need to get ahold of at school to request tomorrow off.

I think they ask that you give the antibiotics 48 hours to work - it's only been 24.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 02:52 pm
Do you have a follow-up scheduled?

I'm just the tiniest bit worried that the oil created symptoms that, since the doctor didn't know about the oil, he assumed could only have one source.

I know that going to the doctor is a trial for you, which completely sucks. Hope a good job with good health insurance is in your near future.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 02:56 pm
Soz, what do you think the oil could have done? I'll call the doc tomorrow if the symptoms aren't getting better.
0 Replies