ear infection

ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 12:38 pm
I approve of beet and sweet potato chips.

~~~~~~

get better, all you unwell people
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 07:44 am
Going to care for tiny tot who has had a fever and diarrhea all weekend and who just through up. Wish me luck.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 07:48 am
Oh man, just what you need! Good luck (consider getting a surgical mask).
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 07:49 am
I wish you luck, and the protection of the Purelle gods....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 07:52 am
JPB wrote:
Oh man, just what you need! Good luck (consider getting a surgical mask).

What she said!!!!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 09:08 pm
Thanks all. He threw up on me. yay. The thing is his mother decided to stay home AFTER he had already thrown up on me. So, there I was a useless artifact being thrown up on. I decided to stay until it was time to get his sister so they didn't have to go to the school.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 09:14 pm
that, while not surprising in the least, given the track record, still sucks.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 09:24 pm
Yeah.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 08:53 pm
Notes for myself:

I had my follow-up appointments with the ENT department at my doctor complex. No signs of infection and the blrpblrgblp I still sometimes hear when I lean over is due to negative pressure in my ear. Dunno how that happens. They also did a hearing test and it seems that my hearing has gotten worse in the last 15 years. I guess that's not that surprising. This was the most comprehensive test I've had yet. My hearing range graph is an s-curve.

My low-tone hearing sucks shows signs of moderate loss in both ears. There's a jump in hearing capacity between 1000 and 2500 hertz frequencies and my upper range hearing sort of levels out there. My range is good in the frequencies that spoken language is registered in, but I hear the hard sounds (k, ch, p, th sh, etc) better than the soft sounds (j, m, n, vowels, etc). I called the latter grouping the mumble sounds. You can actually spell m-u-m-b-l-e- with the letters there. Fascinating chart.

Hearing aids won't likely help due to the range of hearing loss (they help with speaking frequencies). But, I got a handy-dandy list of communication strategies that I already have incorporated into my life. Or at least have tried to. Many depend on the actions of those speaking with me.

My audiogram looks a lot like the one to the left in the image below. My low range is around 60 db loss and my high range is between 5 and 20.

http://audiologyonline.com/resources/article/venema4.jpg
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 09:40 pm
I hope you have good health insurance... :wink:
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 06:50 am
Hey littlek,

littlek wrote:
Notes for myself:

I had my follow-up appointments with the ENT department at my doctor complex. No signs of infection and the blrpblrgblp I still sometimes hear when I lean over is due to negative pressure in my ear. Dunno how that happens.

I'm not sure if it's the only way, but one way I know that happens is when fluid leaves the ear. It happened to sozlet before, then the pressure normalized after a while (nothing specific was done).

Quote:
They also did a hearing test and it seems that my hearing has gotten worse in the last 15 years. I guess that's not that surprising. This was the most comprehensive test I've had yet. My hearing range graph is an s-curve.

My low-tone hearing sucks shows signs of moderate loss in both ears. There's a jump in hearing capacity between 1000 and 2500 hertz frequencies and my upper range hearing sort of levels out there. My range is good in the frequencies that spoken language is registered in, but I hear the hard sounds (k, ch, p, th sh, etc) better than the soft sounds (j, m, n, vowels, etc). I called the latter grouping the mumble sounds. You can actually spell m-u-m-b-l-e- with the letters there. Fascinating chart.

Hearing aids won't likely help due to the range of hearing loss (they help with speaking frequencies).

How did you come to that conclusion? There are hearing aids that can deal with wide ranges (as far as I know, all of them), and your loss is right in the speech banana.

http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/fh/mch/unhs/resources/guidelines/images/fig8.gif

That means you're a prime candidate for hearing aids.

The banana is where most human speech sounds occur.

I can certainly give you some communication tips too if you're interested.

How ya doin'? Are you glad you know more about what's up with your ears? Is it scary? All of the above?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 07:21 am
Perhaps a visit to the MGH is in order.
Cool
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 07:12 pm
Miller are you at MGH?

Soz, my hearing loss is in the low tones, my high tone range is normal. The hearing aids a re better for high tones. So they said.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 07:15 pm
Hmm. Who's "they"?

I know far less about low-tone loss than high-tone loss (I had the latter, when I was hard-of-hearing), but that really seems like the db range where hearing aids help a lot.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 07:18 pm
They is the audiologist and the ENT. My high range is above the banana (upper right) and my low range is below the banana (lower left).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 07:21 pm
It's the below-the-banana part that I think can be helped. Get it back up IN the banana.

Audiologist and ENT though... seems weird to me but those are the people who would know.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 07:36 pm
I think hearing aids are designed to help people hear other people. My hearing loss is mostly below the range of speech. I can't hear a dog growl, for example.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 07:43 pm
and you can sleep well.... no trucks and city hums to disturb you.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 07:44 pm
Yes! But then, nothing disturbs me when I sleep.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 07:53 pm
Ok, here's my ears. As it says, Xs are the left ear and Os are the right ear. It's nice and big so you can see the little pictures. I'm not sure what the little pictures represent (except for the spoken phonemes).

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i175/Gigipix/Miscellaneous/hearingchart.jpg
0 Replies