Aircraft Crashes into NY Building

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 01:13 pm
Quote:
Aircraft crashes into New York building
POSTED: 3:02 p.m. EDT, October 11, 2006

NEW YORK (AP) -- Police say an aircraft has crashed into a building on Manhattan's Upper East Side at 72nd Street and York Avenue. It is near Rockefeller Center.

There was no word on casualties.

Video from the scene shows at least three apartments in the high rise fully engulfed in flames.

It's unclear if it was a small plane or a helicopter.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 8,192 • Replies: 179
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 01:16 pm
I was just going to add a link to that too, Tico.

Some friends near there...

from the LA Times -
Small Aircraft Crashes into Building on Manhattan's Upper East Side
By Michael Muskal, Times Staff Writer
12:03 PM PDT, October 11, 2006

An aircraft believed to be a helicopter or small plane crashed into a building on the fashionable East Side of Manhattan, WNBC-TV in New York City reported today.

The station said the craft crashed into the building on 71st Street and York Avenue. Smoke could be seen coming from the building.

No details were available on death or casualties, but the television station said there reports that some people were trapped on the 39th or 40th floor of the building.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 01:20 pm
Said to be at 525 E. 72nd St.

here's a photo from cnn -

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2006/US/10/11/plane.crash.ap/newt1.1502.fire.wnyw.jpg
0 Replies

ul

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 01:21 pm
The address of the building is 524 E. 72nd Street -- a 50-story condominium tower built in the late 1980s and located near Sotheby's Auction House. The Belaire Condo, developed by William Zeckendorf Jr., has 183 apartments, many of which sell for more than $1 million.

Link
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 01:28 pm
another one... yikes.

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2006/US/10/11/plane.crash/newt1.1515.nyc.wnyw.jpg
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 01:31 pm
ul wrote:
The address of the building is 524 E. 72nd Street -- a 50-story condominium tower built in the late 1980s and located near Sotheby's Auction House. The Belaire Condo, developed by William Zeckendorf Jr., has 183 apartments, many of which sell for more than $1 million.

Link

I hope thet have good Condo insurance.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 01:32 pm
Lotsa speculation - little hard info other than that two are dead, a Manhattan highrise is involved in a fire resulting from an aircraft incident, and that the FBI is saying "no indication of terrorism".

My take given the currently available info: Pilot operating while terminally stupid.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 01:33 pm
There's a Middle School right near there and the kids just got out of school, when the accident happened.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 01:34 pm
2 dead?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 01:36 pm
First map I've found on quick search that has 72nd and York on it -

http://phe.rockefeller.edu/pics/manhattan.gif
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 01:37 pm
Small Aircraft Hits Building in Manhattan
By MARIA NEWMAN

An aircraft crashed into a building in New York City's Upper East Side this afternoon, igniting several apartments of the residential high rise before pieces of the building crashed onto the ground, witnesses and officials said.

A Fire Department spokeswoman, Emily Rahimi, told The Associated Press that the aircraft struck the 20th floor of the building, 524 E. 72nd St., near York Avenue. However, television reports said the aircraft hit closer to the 40th floor.

There are no reports of any injuries so far, and the authorities have not said whether the aircraft was a small airplane or a helicopter.

Television views of the fire showed flames shooting out of four windows and smoke that streamed up into the sky, visible for miles. The building is a 50-story condominium that was built in 1986, The A.P. said, and has 183 apartments.

NYTimes Online
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 01:39 pm
I'm practically across the street from the fire. I can see the west and north sides of the building. The flames are on the south side, and I wouldn't know there was a problem if it weren't for the hustle and bustle in the street below. I am amazed that there is virtually no activity on the balconies or at the windows that I can observe.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 01:39 pm
Miller wrote:
2 dead?

At this time, 2 confirmed dead, per FDNY. Aircraft wreckage on ground at base of building per several news outlets. The fire floors apparently have not yet been rendered available to survey - info pending.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 01:41 pm
flyboy804 wrote:
I'm practically across the street from the fire. I can see the west and north sides of the building. The flames are on the south side, and I wouldn't know there was a problem if it weren't for the hustle and bustle in the street below. I am amazed that there is virtually no activity on the balconies or at the windows that I can observe.

I heard that people were on balconies when the plane hit. Again, this was on the radio, so we don't know how reliable this info is, only that no terrorism seems to have been involved.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 01:45 pm
A witness on another link I looked at said she counted it as 30th floor. Well, report numbers are varying at this point.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 01:46 pm
flyboy804 wrote:

As I understand from news reports, the building has been evacuated, though there is concern some possibly may be trapped above the fire floors ... no confirmation one way or the other on that as of yet.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 01:47 pm
Uh-oh ... update: NYFD now says, according to reports, that people are trapped above the fire floors. Not Good.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 01:48 pm
A federal official tells CBS News that fighter jets have been scrambled to protect New York and Boston airspace.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 01:48 pm
Damn.

Edit to say that was to timber's post.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 01:49 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Uh-oh ... update: NYFD now says, according to reports, that people are trapped above the fire floors. Not Good.

Some could be stuck in elevators.
0 Replies