Aircraft Crashes into NY Building

ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 01:56 pm
That damn was to Timber's post.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 01:57 pm
Watching live-feed NY television via satellite - I notice the volume and color of the smoke indicate the fire is being knocked down. Big fire, not under full control yet, but apparently at least coming under containment. FDNY is damned good.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 01:58 pm
Great, thanks.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Yeap, watch it live as well - a German tv team is there, too
0 Replies

Miller

Those Firefighters are dam good and earn every dollar the City pays them.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 01:59 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Yeap, watch it live as well - a German tv team is there, too

They must be stationed close by.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 02:03 pm
CNN is carrying it.
0 Replies

Miller

Bloomberg is there.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Another cnn photo -

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2006/US/10/11/plane.crash/newt1.1550.nyc.wabc.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

No idea, they were send there according to the correspondant (who, however, lives two blocks away).
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 02:05 pm
All US network raw feeds are carrying live footage, not all of which, of course, is making it to broadcast. From what I've seen over the past few minutes, watching the various angles being fed, major fire-fighting progress has been made in just the past few minutes; several window-sections that were spewing smoke or flame just a little while ago now are merely blackened, with little or no emmissions. Its raining there now, BTW.

It seems the strikezone was around the 40th floor, though fires have been observed on lower floors.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 02:06 pm
I'm glad to see flyboy has checked in.

There are a few more A2K'rs who live and work within blocks of this.

I'd sure like to have them check in.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 02:07 pm
Million dollar condos.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 02:07 pm
This is now the start of the Rush Hour, too.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 02:10 pm
My doctor is three blocks away from the crash site.

As far as rush hour is concerned, the closest subway is on Lexington Avenue, which is quite a few blocks to the west (see map), so that won't be affected.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 02:14 pm
It doesn't look like the aircraft entered fully into the condo. It looks like it smashed into the side of the building, piercing the windows and probably spewing fuel and the debris of the aircraft fell down to the sidewalk, so structurally the building looks sound enough. I hear one person is confirmed dead. No idea if that is the pilot or someone within the building, or even someone on the ground below.

It makes me wonder why NYC is not a no-fly-zone for small aircraft. I can understand choppers would be flying around - traffic news and all, but why does a private small aircraft still have the ability to fly over a metropolitan NY area?

I can understand an accident - pilot error, or whatever - happening anywhere anytime but in NYC there is nowhere but buildings and people to crash into should an accident happen. I would have thought that it would have been smart to instigate special flying permissions over the city of New York, even though I am sure it would be a logistical pain, but ....

I certainly hope this was just an unfortunate accident and I feel bad for the person/people killed or hurt.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 02:16 pm
I just returned from an abortive attempt to get a view of the fire side of the building, but our entire block front has been sealed off by the police. The back door exit is available but, but one can only head west, away from the scene. Still no balcony activity from higher or lower floors. The acrid smoke fumes have reached my balcony, but there is no visible smoke here (northwest of the flames).
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 02:17 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
My doctor is three blocks away from the crash site.

As far as rush hour is concerned, the closest subway is on Lexington Avenue, which is quite a few blocks to the west (see map), so that won't be affected.

Will it affect any bus routes?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 02:18 pm
I heard a report on TV from a woman who had seen the crash. She said that she noticed that the plane was doing "acrobatics" before it crashed. I wonder what that was about.

BTW the location of the crash is very near New York Hospital, which is HUGE complex.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 02:19 pm
Plane struck the 20th floor and yes, two have been confirmed dead.
0 Replies