Aircraft Crashes into NY Building

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 03:02 pm
Eva wrote:
I don't know my way around NYC, but isn't Lola & Bernie's place on the East Side? Does anyone know if they were close to this building?
blatham wrote:
The building involved today is six blocks downtown from our store. I didn't hear the impact and wasn't aware until someone passing on the street told me of a plane hitting a building. I got down to a location two blocks away perhaps ten minutes after impact. The fire department response was amazingly quick and they had hoses on the fire (from inside) perhaps twenty minutes after impact and the flames were extinquished in about another twenty minutes.

Police, ambulances and fire vehicles just descended on the area from all directions. I've never seen anything quite like it.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 03:03 pm
They are a few blocks away from the accident. Bernie has already reported in on the "Bagels" thread!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Their store is several blocks uptown. Bernie's reported on the Bagels, etc. thread - I know they live in the area too, but not exactly there.
I think Kicky used to live fairly close too, not sure where the famed lack of window curtain place is..
0 Replies

blatham

I posted this at 3:28 on another thread...

The building involved today is six blocks downtown from our store. I didn't hear the impact and wasn't aware until someone passing on the street told me of a plane hitting a building. I got down to a location two blocks away perhaps ten minutes after impact. The fire department response was amazingly quick and they had hoses on the fire (from inside) perhaps twenty minutes after impact and the flames were extinquished in about another twenty minutes.

Police, ambulances and fire vehicles just descended on the area from all directions. I've never seen anything quite like it.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 03:04 pm
<Why did I copy that? :wink: >
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 03:04 pm
sheesh...I'm a slowpoke
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 03:06 pm
Any news about people on the upper floors? They must be okay, I'm thinking...
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 03:06 pm
That's OK, blatham! I'm just mightily relieved to hear you folks are safe!

Whew!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 03:07 pm
Great to learn you folks are OK, Bernie - thanks for checking in.

Interesting note here - seems those following this thread got a much better picture of what was going on, as it was going on than did just about anybody else Shocked
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 03:09 pm
No small thanks to you, Timber....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 03:12 pm
An aside - we're doing better than ESPN's best in the NFL predictions too. (Or at least a couple of a2kers are.)
0 Replies

username

The plane seems to have been registered to NY Yankees pitcher Corey Lidle. He may have been the pilot.
0 Replies

blatham

timberlandko wrote:
Great to learn you folks are OK, Bernie - thanks for checking in.

Interesting note here - seems those following this thread got a much better picture of what was going on, as it was going on than did just about anybody else Shocked

It was a fair bit after I returned to our shop that I learned of this thread. Reading it then was a shocker. You guys had good data just about coincident with events. Impressive.
0 Replies

timberlandko

ossobuco wrote:
Any news about people on the upper floors? They must be okay, I'm thinking...

As I understand it, no one is trapped, all persons known to be in the building are accounted for. I can't say for sure, but it does not seem, from what I've been able to determine, that any deaths other than the plan'es occupants have been reported. Area hospitals, however, are reported to be treating persons transported from the accident site, I have no reliable info on nature or extent of injuries.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 03:22 pm
username wrote:
The plane seems to have been registered to NY Yankees pitcher Corey Lidle. He may have been the pilot.

You're a little behind - First broken HERE, Confirmed HERE - further new info; he had been licensed for only about 9 months. Not to sound mean or anything, but about the most dangerous thing in the air is an inexperienced pilot.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 03:24 pm
Quote:
The Phillies weren't enamored of pitcher Cory Lidle's hobby of flying a four-seat airplane.

But now that Lidle is with the Yankees, it's an especially sensitive topic.

In 1979, Yankees catcher Thurman Munson died when a plane he was piloting crashed near his home in Canton, Ohio. Lidle earned his pilot's license last offseason, and has insisted his plane is safe.

"The whole plane has a parachute on it," he told The New York Times. "Ninety-nine percent of pilots that go up never have engine failure, and the 1 percent that do usually land.

"But, if you're up in the air and something goes wrong, you pull that parachute, and the whole plane goes down slowly."

LINK
0 Replies

sozobe

This says he got his license within the last few days.

(Catching up, saw it first here... yikes.)
0 Replies

flyboy804

As I look into the windows of the building, the amount of lamps in use and operating TV's seems about normal in the lower floors.. Above about the 28th floor I see no lamps or operating TV's. This could very well be due to electrical outages due to the fire.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 03:25 pm
Should've pointed out my last article was a month old.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 03:30 pm
Press conference in progress; now appears only 2 confirmed dead (???) - both from plane, one a "student pilot", one perhaps a "flight instructor" (???) ... plenty of unknowns and conjecture yet. Not too surprising, given the circumstances.
0 Replies