Aircraft Crashes into NY Building

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 03:38 pm
CNN is now reporting the FBI as saying Cory Lidle was the only person aboard the plane.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 03:39 pm
Oy.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 03:40 pm
7.00 am Aust.

CNN can't compete with A2k!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 03:44 pm
Morning, dadpad...

So, how can he leave an airport sans being checked if he's not licensed..
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 03:44 pm
Interesting ... at the press conference, Mayor Bloomberg said 2 dead, 1 male, 1 female. At any event, it seems certain Lidle is dead. It also seems his wife is aboard a commercial plane in flight, possibly not yet aware of the tragedy.

Also just reported, 2 occupants of one of the impact condos walked away. Additional - only reported injuries seem to be firefighters, none serious.

Also just confirmed, per FAA, plane's occupants were Lidle and a female filight instructor
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 03:45 pm
dadpad wrote:

Yes! Thanks tico, timber and all of you.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 03:48 pm
I imagine that the fact that his wife hasn't been informed is the only reason it's unofficial -- they don't want her to learn from the news (though she probably will anyway, sigh).
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 03:50 pm
The building, other than the fire floors, is being opened back up to tenants with appropriate ID, many FDNY units have been released and are returning to their firehouses, street traffic restrictions are being lifted. There will be a mess there for days yet, and some fire equipment on scene for at least several more hours, but to all practical purposes the main event is over.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 03:57 pm
Quoting Timber,
Also just reported, 2 occupants of one of the impact condos walked away.

Wow. What a day for them.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 04:03 pm
dadpad wrote:
7.00 am Aust.

Laughing - you shoulda been here for THIS :wink:
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 04:12 pm
this is what lidle was up to the other day --

Yankees' loss still the talk of the town
BY NEIL BEST
Newsday Staff Writer

October 9, 2006, 7:58 PM EDT

Mets? Giants? Jets? Those teams might as well have been based in Dubuque for all the attention they got Monday during a remarkable sports talk marathon in the wake of the Yankees' latest playoff flop.

The market's two major afternoon drive time shows spent a total of 14½ hours -- nine for ESPN-1050's Michael Kay, 5½ for WFAN's Mike Francesa and Chris Russo -- almost entirely on the Yankees.

That allowed plenty of time for strange moments, none more so than when pitcher Cory Lidle phoned Francesa and Russo and spent 13 tense, bizarre minutes debating the meaning and accuracy of published quotes in which he said the Tigers were more ready to play than the Yankees.

Francesa and Russo interpreted Lidle's comments as being critical of Joe Torre, but Lidle defended the manager on the air. He also defended his right to enjoy a day out in the city rather than mope at home.

(taken from newsday.com)
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 04:18 pm
The public data sheet for Lidle's plane: N929CD
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 05:20 pm
I bet Lidle was getting a Monica from the "female flight instructor". As said before, "flying while terminally stupid".
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 03:51 am
What an absurd thing to say.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 04:50 am
As I understand it, there was a low cloud ceiling yesterday. Many people, in small private planes, fly "under the radar", just to get a look at Manhattan. Many fly slowly. What happens if you fly TOO slowly, the plane goes into a stall. At the last record of the plane in the air, it was at 400 feet, which is VERY low.

It is possible that the plane went into a stall, and was unable to get out of it. That would account for the remark from an onlooker that the plane was doing "acrobatics" before it crashed.
0 Replies

kiwimac

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 05:10 am
This is all speculation of course but skyscrapers can channel fairly 'heavy' winds at mid-levels, as well as contributing lift when a plane flies over the (usually) warmer building. Now if he was moving slowly and he hit a downdraft or small shear, that low to the ground.......

Kiwimac
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 05:10 am
cjhsa wrote:
I bet Lidle was getting a Monica from the "female flight instructor". As said before, "flying while terminally stupid".

Damn, man. What the hell is wrong with you? The guy just dies, and this is what you've got to say?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 05:55 am
jespah wrote:
What an absurd thing to say.

You sound surprised.

I think.

I cannot fathom why.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 05:55 am
snood wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

Damn, man. What the hell is wrong with you? The guy just dies, and this is what you've got to say?

I couldn't believe my eyes either when I read that. Then, I looked at who posted it. It became clearer as to why such an absurd and insensitive thing was said.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 06:23 am
snood wrote-

Quote:

The whole thread is about oneupman(woman)ship on technical know-how or deep concern. An excuse.
0 Replies