Questions about Homosexuality

sozobe

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 08:30 pm
Oh, the "speculation" part was in reference to your thought processes, the little aside I went off on about trust/ emotion.

Well, as I said before, default mode for most kids is assuming they're heterosexual. That's what they see everywhere around them, in books, in movies -- heterosexual couples. Little girls dream about getting married, going to the ball with the prince, that kind of thing. If that little girl grows up and thinks both "gosh, Katrina is so beautiful" and gets a little warm and fuzzy inside, she can just put that under the category of "friendship"; if she thinks "gosh, Kurt is so handsome", she goes ahead and assumes she has a crush on him.

So the default mode is heterosexuality.

For people who are in fact homosexual, they may realize sooner or later that it's not just that the person is beautiful or handsome, but that he or she has sexual feelings towards that person.

Then the process of dealing with it begins. Deny it? Act on it?

For a lot of people, the process begins with denial, and stops when it simply can't be denied any more.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 08:35 pm
Well, I'd say it's some pretty good speculation, sozobe. I never looked at it that way but I do know that trust and respect for others is a big deal to me. And yes, I realize that even though these are real people on the other end of the computer that I will probably never meet any of them (odds are) so why do I get so upset? I need to find a balance there.

Okay, that makes sense. I think I understand that. Ok, I am reading that article again, I have some questions about it and will be back shortly.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 09:04 pm
Ok, I read the thing on the twin studies. Okay, I went back and read that again because I really didn't think I had it right. So, it does seem there may be something in the biological process that factors in here?

I have heard some say before that it may be genetics but that it hasn't been pinned down yet.

Ok, this gives me a good place to start. Now, this other article, sozobe. I'm going to read it one more time and will be back.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 09:50 pm
I'm back...

The main point there is the difference in percentages. It's a highly significant difference.

To lay out the numbers again:

* 52% of identical (monozygotic) twins of homosexual men were likewise homosexual
* 22% of fraternal (dizygotic) twins were likewise homosexual
* 11% of adoptive brothers of homosexual men were likewise homosexual

It's a way to tease out the different factors involved in being homosexual. If it was just nurture -- the kind of mother you have, the town you grow up in, what the culture is like -- the percentages of brothers who have no genetic ties (adoptive) and brothers who are genetic clones (identical twins) should have about the same percentage. Both groups about 11% gay, or both groups about 52% gay. But no, it's a huge difference, a 31% difference. (52% - 11%.)

It's further narrowed down by including fraternal twins. Maybe it's because they spend so much time together that they become more comfortable with men, (or whatever reasons could be thought of for why identical twins have such a high percentage of brothers who are gay while adoptive kids who are gay have so much lower of a percentage of gay brothers).

But no, fraternal twins, who have all of the same nurture factors as identical twins but a different genetic makeup, have a much lower rate of both brothers being homosexual. That again points to something genetic.

The long article contains some of the most compelling and up-to-date science, though. I found the stuff about imprinted genes really fascinating:

Quote:
The lab is also testing an intriguing theory involving imprinted genes. Normally, we have two copies of every gene, one from each parent, and both copies work. They're identical, so it doesn't matter which copy comes from which parent. But with imprinted genes, that does matter. Although both copies are physically there, one copy - either from the mom or the dad - is blocked from working. Think of an airplane with an engine on each wing, except one of the engines is shut down. A recent Duke University study suggests humans have hundreds of imprinted genes, including one on the X chromosome that previous research has tied to sexual orientation.

With imprinted genes, there is no backup engine. So if there's something atypical in the copy from mom, the copy from dad cannot be turned on. The UCLA lab is now collecting DNA from identical twins in which one twin is straight and the other is gay. Because the twins begin as genetic clones, if a gene is imprinted in one twin, it will be in the other twin as well. Normally, as the fetuses are developing, each time a cell divides, the DNA separates and makes a copy of itself, replicating all kinds of genetic information. It's a complicated but incredibly accurate process. But the coding to keep the backup engine shut down on an imprinted gene is less accurate.

So how might imprinted genes help explain why one identical twin would be straight and the other gay? Say there's an imprinted gene for attraction to females, and there's something atypical in the copy the twin brothers get from mom. As all that replicating is going on, the imprinting (to keep the copy from dad shut down) proceeds as expected in one twin, and he ends up gay. But somehow with his brother, the coding for the imprinting is lost, and rather than remain shut down, the fuel flows to fire up the backup engine from dad. And that twin turns out to be straight.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 09:53 pm
Oh, you got in an edit while I was typing -- I was responding to something about why only about half of the gay twins had gay brothers. Looks like you figured some of that out already.

Again, while I brought up the twin thing first because it was one of the things I remember from college, (as with Phoenix's compelling example), the long article, which I didn't know about previously, is really useful here and contains the most pertinent stuff, I think. (Published in August 2005, pretty up-to-date.)
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 09:55 pm
I went back and read it again because I wanted to make sure I understood it pretty well. Glad I did. But your explanation is helping. I am doing this while I am doing Bible Study so I'm a bit sporadic. Will be done with it soon.

I do want to talk to Phoenix about what she posted. I think since she had some face to face contact it might help.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 09:59 pm
I've had tons of face to face contact if that's what you're looking for. Helped one of my best friends get through a really difficult coming out experience. Have a few gay/ lesbian family members. A very high percentage of deaf people are gay (another thing they're trying to figure out), about 10 of my favorite people are gay/ lesbian. The guy I worked with most closely in L.A. was a member of the West Hollywood Cheerleaders. :-) (TOTAL flaming queen, man I miss him.) And on and on.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 10:02 pm
Wonderful, sozobe. I think that kind of interaction will help me more than me reading and you having to explain it. I'm not very good on the science part and I don't want you to get frustrated. We will be done with Bible Study here shortly (we have it online) and I'd like to talk to you and Phoenix about some things.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 10:02 pm
http://www.totalobscurity.com/media/scrapbook/misc/sandiego-00/sandiego2000-061.jpg

West Hollywood Cheerleaders. I don't think my friend's in that pic, though. :-)
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 10:03 pm
Maybe I can help with understanding the numbers in the study. I'm a statistician by profession and do clinical study data analysis for a living.

First let me bring the numbers back up to this post so we can see them and talk about them at the same time.

sozobe wrote:

One of the most compelling aspects of the nature vs. nurture argument is provided by studies of identical twins (exact genetic copies of each other).

[b]Bailey and Pillard (1991): occurrence of homosexuality among brothers[/b] * 52% of identical (monozygotic) twins of homosexual men were likewise homosexual * 22% of fraternal (dizygotic) twins were likewise homosexual * 11% of adoptive brothers of homosexual men were likewise homosexual

and

[b]Bailey and Pillard (1993): occurrence of homosexuality among sisters[/b] * 48% of identical (monozygotic) twins of homosexual women were likewise homosexual (lesbian) * 16% of fraternal (dizygotic) twins were likewise homosexual * 6% of adoptive sisters of homosexual women were likewise homosexual

http://www.worldpolicy.org/globalrights/sexorient/twins.html

If nurture (how someone is brought up, who they are exposed to, what they see, what choices they make) was the main element, there should be far more correllation between identical and fraternal twins than there is.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/articles/2005/08/14/what_makes_people_gay/

If the tendancy to homosexuality is genetically passed on then it will be part of the DNA that comes from the father/mother. Half of the DNA comes from each parent. Each of us carries chromosomes from each of our parents and pass on one of those for each trait. For instance you might have recieved a chromosome for blue eyes from one parent and brown eyes from another parent. You don't have blue/brown eyes. You demonstrate one eye color (brown in this case because it is dominate) but you are capable of passing on the blue eye color gene to your children. If a homosexual passes on a genetic tendency then it will be passed on approximately 50% of the time (unless he has recieved it from both of his parents and then he will pass it one 100% of the time).

The 50% (approx) figure is significant in two different ways. First, it's like having a son or a daughter. The male will pass on the X chromosome half the time (resulting in a daughter) and the Y chromosome the other half (resulting in a son). Monozygotic twins have identical DNA because they start out as one egg/sperm. You would expect a genetic tendency to equal approx 50% because the gene associated with it would be passed on half of the time. I'll get to the other way it's significant in a minute.

Approx 20% of dizygotic twins were likewise homosexual. This is as expected because there are two sperm and two eggs involved. If one parent in passing on a genetic tendency to homosexuality then the chances of both sperm/egg pairs recieving the gene are half of the case above.

The 6% to 11% of adoptive siblings being homosexual might represent random chance or it might reflect an environmental influence.

Now, back to the 50% and the 20%. Consider that twins being raised in the same environment would have the same likelihood of both being gay. If there was no genetic influence then it wouldn't matter if the twins were identical (monozygotic) or fraternal (dizygotic). From before, in the absence of a genetic influence, there would be no difference between the rates of homosexuals in any children being raised in the same environment. The fact that the monozygotic twins were homosexual 50% of the time, the dizygotic twins were homosexual approx 20% of the time and the adopted (non-genetically linked) siblings were homosexual only 6-11% demonstrates a strong likelihood that the environment is not the primary influence.

This is lots of numbers and I'll be happy to break them out further if it would help clarify things.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 11:07 pm
Oh man, I'm bursting to say something, but first I wanted to read through the entire thread. I think this thread could really be positive.

I absolutely loved this, Soz, because it is so 'typical' an experience, especially in the West, and I couldn't have said it better myself:
sozobe wrote:

Well, as I said before, default mode for most kids is assuming they're heterosexual. That's what they see everywhere around them, in books, in movies -- heterosexual couples. Little girls dream about getting married, going to the ball with the prince, that kind of thing. If that little girl grows up and thinks both "gosh, Katrina is so beautiful" and gets a little warm and fuzzy inside, she can just put that under the category of "friendship"; if she thinks "gosh, Kurt is so handsome", she goes ahead and assumes she has a crush on him.

For people who are in fact homosexual, they may realize sooner or later that it's not just that the person is beautiful or handsome, but that he or she has sexual feelings towards that person.

For a lot of people, the process begins with denial, and stops when it simply can't be denied any more.

So far, I really like the Kinsey scale, because it at least acknowledges that people are not either straight or gay!, but we are actually a continuum of expressions and sexual orientations.
I am one of those people who falls between a 3-4, who 'goes either way', or call me a bisexual if you want. lol. I could tell many a-story, like so many other people out there, and I am open to sharing anything that may help to spread some knowledge about.

The culture we grow up in tells us to choose: gay or straight (but of course we'd rather prefer if you are straight). Such tight little boxes that can cause so much pain.

I am interested in seeing more numbers and studies, so thanks. J.B. , Soz, and others, i look forward to seeing more posts like that. I do believe there is a genetic factor involved, but am not set .

Regardless of why or how someone is gay(or any variation beyond straight); the important thing in my eyes is that EVERYONE is given the space to be who they are. Really, that is what it is all about.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 11:27 pm
I have to share a vignette.

My daughter, my mother and I (that in itself is a Southern Gothic novella) were sitting in Shoney's after church. (I hate Shoney's, but my Tweety Bird wanted a breakfast bar, and we happened upon my mother by accident...), and my mother is the most renowned individual in this county. She's taught several generations of every family in the county in either church, school or both--so there is a constant stream of people paying homage to her as we eat....

This nice young lady comes by with one of the most naturally gorgeous young men I've ever seen, her 18 year old son. She speaks in church jargon to my mother, I continue to force food down and occasionally look up to see the handsome young man, for nothing more than viewing pleasure.

Mother gives me the bio on each bunch as they pass, and she gives a glowing report of the young man and his mother, which is fine...

Only, (LOL) Daughter says..."and he's gay," at the end of mother's deeply Christian-service testimony of this young man, which (after the internal guffaw from me) elicits a certain silence from Mama. And, then, I'm sad. I wonder what life must be like for SO many young people, stuck in these oppressive environments, having to live up to impossible standards, and being gay.

I think the ones who admit it are a minority, actually. He'll probably get married, and have a great reputation, 1) do good work in the church, and 2) do men in bathrooms.

How can they survive in some environments?

Mama likes gays. Thank God for her hairdresser, and the town florist, who are out. Stereotypical, but true. She wouldn't say anything about this young man. She just doesn't realize how many are on her church pew, and have passed through her Sunday School....
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 11:37 pm
Okay, it may take me some catching up to everyone but I want to make sure I understand things as I go along. Please be patient with me and I will get to everyone.

J_B Wrote:

Quote:
If the tendancy to homosexuality is genetically passed on then it will be part of the DNA that comes from the father/mother. Half of the DNA comes from each parent. Each of us carries chromosomes from each of our parents and pass on one of those for each trait. For instance you might have recieved a chromosome for blue eyes from one parent and brown eyes from another parent. You don't have blue/brown eyes. You demonstrate one eye color (brown in this case because it is dominate) but you are capable of passing on the blue eye color gene to your children. If a homosexual passes on a genetic tendency then it will be passed on approximately 50% of the time (unless he has recieved it from both of his parents and then he will pass it one 100% of the time).

First, J_B, thank you so much for offering to help. Science was my worst subject. I fell asleep in class every day for the first two weeks in high school science class. I don't think I ever caught up!

Questions: They can pick out what DNA causes your eyes to be a certain color, right? Are they close to finding a gene, DNA, etc., determining homosexuality? So, in your first paragraph it means IF homosexuality is genetic it will be passed on approximately 50% of the time?

Quote:
The 50% (approx) figure is significant in two different ways. First, it's like having a son or a daughter. The male will pass on the X chromosome half the time (resulting in a daughter) and the Y chromosome the other half (resulting in a son). Monozygotic twins have identical DNA because they start out as one egg/sperm. You would expect a genetic tendency to equal approx 50% because the gene associated with it would be passed on half of the time. I'll get to the other way it's significant in a minute.

Approx 20% of dizygotic twins were likewise homosexual. This is as expected because there are two sperm and two eggs involved. If one parent in passing on a genetic tendency to homosexuality then the chances of both sperm/egg pairs recieving the gene are half of the case above.

The 6% to 11% of adoptive siblings being homosexual might represent random chance or it might reflect an environmental influence.

Now, back to the 50% and the 20%. Consider that twins being raised in the same environment would have the same likelihood of both being gay. If there was no genetic influence then it wouldn't matter if the twins were identical (monozygotic) or fraternal (dizygotic). From before, in the absence of a genetic influence, there would be no difference between the rates of homosexuals in any children being raised in the same environment. The fact that the monozygotic twins were homosexual 50% of the time, the dizygotic twins were homosexual approx 20% of the time and the adopted (non-genetically linked) siblings were homosexual only 6-11% demonstrates a strong likelihood that the environment is not the primary influence.

This is lots of numbers and I'll be happy to break them out further if it would help clarify things.

Yes, it's a lot of numbers, but you explaining it like that sure helps. I have to admit I was ignorant of those facts and would have to say that I did figure environment had something to do with someone being homosexual. It appears I was in error.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 11:57 pm
flushd Wrote:

Quote:
Oh man, I'm bursting to say something, but first I wanted to read through the entire thread. I think this thread could really be positive.

I absolutely loved this, Soz, because it is so 'typical' an experience, especially in the West, and I couldn't have said it better myself:

Quote:

Well, flushd, I hope it is a positive thing. I guess I won't understand all of the feelings everyone has unless I really understand the issue itself and sozobe starting this thread to help just might do the trick.

flushd Wrote:

Quote:
So far, I really like the Kinsey scale, because it at least acknowledges that people are not either straight or gay!, but we are actually a continuum of expressions and sexual orientations.

I am one of those people who falls between a 3-4, who 'goes either way', or call me a bisexual if you want. lol. I could tell many a-story, like so many other people out there, and I am open to sharing anything that may help to spread some knowledge about.

The culture we grow up in tells us to choose: gay or straight (but of course we'd rather prefer if you are straight). Such tight little boxes that can cause so much pain.

And this is what I do not want to do. I don't want to cause anyone any pain by what I do or say. The problems I have caused about this issue stemmed from ignorance of the facts more than anything else.

Quote:
I am interested in seeing more numbers and studies, so thanks. J.B. , Soz, and others, i look forward to seeing more posts like that. I do believe there is a genetic factor involved, but am not set .

I'd love to see more numbers and studies also as long as J_B doesn't mind explaining them to me. Laughing I get soooooo lost with statistics and scientific facts.

You don't mind sharing some stories? If I ask you some questions you will answer them? That would be great. But, if I get too personal, please tell me, flushd. I have a lot of questions about this and I have very limited resources (humans, that is!) to draw from where I am.

So, if it's okay to ask, can I ask if you remember the very first time you felt attracted to the same sex? How did you feel about it? Were you scared? Can you describe it? flushd, I'm sorry, I have to say I'm sorry, but it seems so personal of me to ask but I really feel a need to know these things.

flushd Wrote:

Quote:
Regardless of why or how someone is gay(or any variation beyond straight); the important thing in my eyes is that EVERYONE is given the space to be who they are. Really, that is what it is all about.

And this is where I want to make sure I get, flushd. I believe this is what God wants. I just have to get through the reconciling of some things. No matter how this all ends (what I learn) I have to live with it. I would like to be able to live with it with some knowledge and not be ignorant of the facts as I have been in the past.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 12:04 am
Lady Lash,

Can't help but still call you that. I hope you don't mind. Lash, thank you for posting that. I said so many things out of ignorance concerning this issue. I honestly didn't feel at the time I was but I was. I wish I could go back and change some things, but I can't.

What I can do now is to tell you and others that I am doing my best to try to see this issue from "your" eyes and not just mine. It's hard for me, yes. There are so many things going on in my head about what doctrine says, etc., about rationalizing sin, etc., and we must be cautious and informed, and etc. Well, if I am ignorant of the facts, I can't be aware of the facts. I can't be anything but ignorant of the facts.

I appreciate so much you posting that vignette. Seeing the situation through someone else's eyes is well, an eye opener. Thank you again.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 12:05 am
Okay, I think I am caught up with everyone. I will await flushd's answers to my questions and more numbers and statistics.

Thanx again everyone. Have a wonderful night.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 12:28 am
Flushd--

I was so caught up in your desire to express something, I posted one of many things that give me a heart for those among us who don't have equal rights yet. I'll learn to address my posts to who they're intended for. Thanks for such an enthusiastic, from-the-heart post.

"Such tight little boxes that can cause so much pain."

We have to destroy those boxes.

Thank you.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 01:00 am
Phoenix,

I didn't forget you. I have some questions about your experience and will get back with you tomorrow. Thank you for sharing what you did.

I almost forgot. Seaglass when I clicked on that link it said no page found or something like that.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 01:08 am
It seems as if it's always the gorgeous ones that are gay.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 01:10 am
Damn straight.

I mean... yeah.
0 Replies