Questions about Homosexuality

JPB

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 12:32 pm
Setanta wrote:
OK, so, like, if there are gay marriages, will homosexuals next change the legislation so that complete lack of taste in interior decorating is grounds for divorce?

Will dykes be able to sever the tie that binds because one partner found the other was not actually changing her own oil, but had taken the old beater to Jiffy Lube?

hehe, I think those already are grounds for divorce, Set.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 12:49 pm
echi, I wouldn't be writing about pidgeonholing anyone if I were you. That seems to be your modus operendi. And no apology will be forthcoming.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 12:51 pm
J_B wrote:
echi wrote:
J_B wrote:

It's simple really, two people are attracted to each other, they decide to have a casual or meaningful relationship together. What difference does it make which sex chromosomes they were born with or how they are wired?

What difference does it make? I don't know. Probably not much. But, I had the idea that it was somehow related to the subject being discussed. Maybe I was wrong.

Smile no, dahling, what difference does it make to you?

I am interested in the truth. That's all.
If you would like to know something more specific, then please be more specific.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 12:54 pm
I see you explained what you meant and just now found it. So I will apologize for the mis-interpretation.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 12:54 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
echi, I wouldn't be writing about pidgeonholing anyone if I were you. That seems to be your modus operendi. And no apology will be forthcoming.

Slow down, LW... Did I miss something? Maybe we should take it from the top. What exactly did you mean when you wrote this?
Quote:
What echi is experiencing is transferance in trying to disalow others from living their own private life,[...]
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 12:58 pm
That was from your post that you couldn't see how an attraction between two men could be similar to the attraction between a man and a woman. That's understandable but I think you may one day understand it. Just discard my other comments -- they were out of order.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 01:06 pm
Does the Bible forbid lust between a man and a woman?

Is not lust the thing that oversteps the line of social decorum?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 01:11 pm
Who gives a rat's ass what sort of spew you dredge up from the bible?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 01:12 pm
Yes, Christ has stated that lust out of marriage is a sin. My niece and nephew-in-law are Catholic, had a Catholic wedding, Babtized both kids Catholic and were living in sin for a year before they married. I guess there outta be a law.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 01:14 pm
Setanta wrote:
Who gives a rat's ass what sort of spew you dredge up from the bible?

I give a rat's ass and don't you forget it...
0 Replies

echi

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 01:15 pm
LW--

All right. All right. That statement was in the context of a gay person being involved in a serious, intimate relationship with someone of the opposite sex for the purpose of "fitting in" with family or society. That sacrifice seems much greater, to me, than either remaining single or just coming out with the truth.
Would a straight person go to such lengths if the circumstances were somehow reversed? Maybe this is not a question that can be answered. I don't know. I'm just sharing what is in my mind. Sharing and caring... Isn't that what life is all about?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 01:18 pm
Okay -- no, there is no pat answer to that. It would depend on the individuals. In Hollywood there was a preponderance of married gays who had the "arrangement." In several cases, it was because the wife was a lesbian. Vincent and Mary Price for instance (they have left us so I can reveal their situation -- I was a student curator in their art gallery on campus). Vincent was a flamer in person -- there just wasn't any doubt he was gay.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 01:23 pm
Marriage is just an institution to keep people in line by making a law... As if they cannot govern themselves... Smile

Can a piece of paper dictate love?

I think the whole world has got love, sex and "marriage" wrong...

God brings two people together not the government...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 01:29 pm
I do agree with you there. How many are trapped in a loveless marriage? That is, of the 50% who don't get a divorce. The problem is, government has dictated that you won't get all the benefits of a loving partnership without that piece of paper. If you think you can change the government, it's not going in that direction at the present time. We have a government in denial right now.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 01:41 pm
RexRed wrote:
Marriage is just an institution to keep people in line by making a law... As if they cannot govern themselves... Smile

Can a piece of paper dictate love?

I think the whole world has got love, sex and "marriage" wrong...

God brings two people together not the government...

Maybe. But governments have been in the marriage business much longer than any religion.
Still, I think state-sanctioned marriage should be abolished. It is very plainly discriminatory.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 01:50 pm
echi wrote:
LW--

All right. All right. That statement was in the context of a gay person being involved in a serious, intimate relationship with someone of the opposite sex for the purpose of "fitting in" with family or society. That sacrifice seems much greater, to me, than either remaining single or just coming out with the truth.
Would a straight person go to such lengths if the circumstances were somehow reversed? Maybe this is not a question that can be answered. I don't know. I'm just sharing what is in my mind. Sharing and caring... Isn't that what life is all about?

I don't know, echi. I think it's a tremendous sacrifice too but it's one that is not uncommon. Possibly less common today than even a few years ago, but still not unheard of.

Someone raised in a homophobic household or community who acknowledges his sexual preferences (first to himself and then perhaps to others) faces rejection and ridicule from within his family and from many in society. Back when I worked in the blood donor center we would oftentimes see gay members of a family donating blood as a directed donation for a love one and not come out. Some would call us later and explain the situation so that we could discard the unit, others admitted in retrospective interviews that the risk of coming out was greater than the risk of being HIV positive, still others went undetected.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 01:53 pm
What does happen when you get a blood transfusion does their DNA mix with yours?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 01:58 pm
I think maybe the piece of paper is that the government agrees to protect under common law this marriage/union created by God...
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 02:01 pm
RexRed wrote:
What does happen when you get a blood transfusion does their DNA mix with yours?

No, the transfused cells circulate with your own, but the DNA does not mix.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 02:10 pm
I remember a discussion I once had where I was explaining why random volunteer donations were safer than directed donations. My friend got quite angry when I told him his brother would probably stay in the closet and donate for him in an emergency rather than come out. He yelled, 'My brother isn't a f**king faggot!'. To which I said that his attitude was exactly making my point.
0 Replies