Clemency for Tookie?

Stevepax

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 12:40 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
"I am sorry however that they put him to death, I think he got off easy!"

Are you another "he should have been tortured to death" advocate Steviepax. (Pax?)

Nope! Just think life in prison would be worse than a "Get out of jail free" card. I think maybe they make life TOO easy on these people, but without having been there myself, I can't really say.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 12:43 pm
I can't imagine that being locked up all the time and being subject to brutalization by anyone bigger than me would be "easy," but I haven't been there, either...
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 12:50 pm
blueflame1 wrote:
McGentrix, Tookie was innocent. He was framed. The real killer got away with it. As for FDR, JFK and Clinton, they are gone. Bushie cant hide behind them. He's very much under the gun for lying us into war and his days are spent trying to convince America that he really, really didn't lie us into war. Americans are not buying that by a wide margin.

So the entire appeal process didn't work for Tookie. Twenty-Four years and poor Tookie never got a fair chance. Is that it Blue?"
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 12:51 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
I can't imagine that being locked up all the time and being subject to brutalization by anyone bigger than me would be "easy," but I haven't been there, either...

I think Tookie was quite capable of taking care of himself.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 12:58 pm
Steve, that's right. Before he was put to death new tests should have been made on the shotgun shell and shotgun as requested many times by the defense. What harm could have been done?
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 01:11 pm
blueflame1 wrote:
Steve, that's right. Before he was put to death new tests should have been made on the shotgun shell and shotgun as requested many times by the defense. What harm could have been done?

Twenty-Four years. I think he had his chances. All this last minute stuff as far as I'm concerned is just meant to buy time. He had enough time to prove his innocence. If they hadn't found something by now, and it took the proximity of his execution to bring it up again, I think it was just so much smokescreen.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 01:19 pm
Steve, the physical evidence was questioned many times over the years. It was far from a last minute request. The State fought and won against having a real investigation of the physical evidence. What were they scared of? Having their frame-up revealed. The original ruling by the States forensic expert was that the shell could not be proven to have come from the shotgun. He changed his story after being pressured by the prosecutor. And still never conducted any real tests. The real killer was not charged in this case.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 01:25 pm
blueflame1 wrote:
Steve, the physical evidence was questioned many times over the years. It was far from a last minute request. The State fought and won against having a real investigation of the physical evidence. What were they scared of? Having their frame-up revealed. The original ruling by the States forensic expert was that the shell could not be proven to have come from the shotgun. He changed his story after being pressured by the prosecutor. And still never conducted any real tests. The real killer was not charged in this case.

Then why didnt ANY of the courts,in all those years,overturn the conviction on those grounds?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 01:32 pm
Posted by Timber earlier in this thread:

Timber wrote:
The firearms examiner did not testify that Williams' shotgun had been the murder weapon, but rather that the murders had been committed with a weapon "not inconsistent with" a weapon of the caliber, make, and specific model of the shotgun siezed from Williams and conclusively proved, via official firearms sale and transfer documentation, to have been purchased by Williams. Ammunition from the same production lot as that of the spent casing recovered from one murder scene also was siezed with the shotgun. No other murder or other criminal investigation contemporary with the Williams murders investigations implicated a firearm of that specific type, nor was there any open theft report involving the theft of a weapon of that type. Only a weapon of that specific type could have produced the markings found on the recovered casing, with or without particular characteristics linking to any one specific weapon of the type.

LINK

Given that, an 11th hour examination of the shotgun and shells would prove nothing.

If anyone is interested, here is a link to L.A. DA Steve Cooley's reply to Tookie's request for clemancy and it reviews all of the evidence against Tookie.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 01:38 pm
Stevepax wrote:
...life in prison would be worse than a "Get out of jail free" card.

Free in spirit but not in body.

Which reminds me of the RAF man in Stalagluft 14. His injuries necessitated amputation of a leg.

"What do you want us to do with the limb?"

Send it to my mother in England

Unfortunately we have to take off your other leg, we are sorry. Where should we send it?

to mother.

Several weeks pass

Poor man develops gangrene in an arm.

"We have to amputate.....

"To mother in England....

Suddenly guards burst into the hut and take him before the camp commander.

"WE KNOW YOUR PLAN, YOU ARE TRYING TO ESCAPE NO?"
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 01:41 pm
Thanx Tico. Very interesting. I don't see how Tookie could possibly have maintained his innocence with all that evidence.
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 04:03 pm
because momma, in prison, nobody is guilty. If you don't beieve me, just ask someone in prison.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 04:04 pm
ralpheb,

LOL. Yeah, that makes perfect sense. I should have thought of it myself. Laughing
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 04:07 pm
I have been to prison, and it sucks, but it's preferable to death by far. If it wasn't people wouldn't be fighting tooth and nail to avoid the death penalty.
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 04:12 pm
ILZ, what is your input on tookie(I hope people notice that I don't even capatalize his name) and the events.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 04:23 pm
ralpheb wrote:
ILZ, what is your input on tookie(I hope people notice that I don't even capatalize his name) and the events.

Killing a person for their crimes is a very serious matter - the onus is on capital punishment advocates to prove that it is warranted. I've never seen somebody make that case. Capital punishment does not act as a deterrant, it is not cheaper than life imprisonment, the entire justice system is marred by racism and classism, the chance of executing an innocent person is always present, etc. Going beyond the obvious moral question, there's just no rational reason for capital punishment.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 05:01 pm
IronLionZion wrote:
I have been to prison, and it sucks, but it's preferable to death by far. If it wasn't people wouldn't be fighting tooth and nail to avoid the death penalty.

how do you know?
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 07:00 pm
IronLionZion wrote:

Like I said, we make it way too comfortable for the inmates. If I were running it, they would WISH they were dead.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 07:09 pm
Stevepax wrote:
IronLionZion wrote:

Like I said, we make it way too comfortable for the inmates. If I were running it, they would WISH they were dead.

Spoken like a truly compassionate person. You wouldn't be -- down deep, of course -- one of those "compasionate conservatives" would you?
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 07:19 pm
I feel I am as compasionate for murderers as they are for their victims when they are killing them.
0 Replies