Clemency for Tookie?

IronLionZion

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 06:26 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Quote:
The point is that employers should not be able to ask for that kind of information in the first place.

So,if you apply for a job in a pharmacy,I should not be able to ask if you have any kind of felony drug conviction?
Or,if you apply for a job in around children,I shouldnt be able to find out if you have a record as a sexual predator?

Or,if you apply in a bank,should I not be able to find out if you have a conviction for embezzleing money?

You are living in a dream world if you seriously believe that.
As an employer,I have a right and a duty to my customers to find out if you have any felony convictions related to whatever job or industry you are applying for.

Certain jobs should have access to certain criminal records. No pedophiles should be working at the Day Care.
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 06:44 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Quote:
The point is that employers should not be able to ask for that kind of information in the first place.

So,if you apply for a job in a pharmacy,I should not be able to ask if you have any kind of felony drug conviction?
Or,if you apply for a job in around children,I shouldnt be able to find out if you have a record as a sexual predator?

Or,if you apply in a bank,should I not be able to find out if you have a conviction for embezzleing money?

You are living in a dream world if you seriously believe that.
As an employer,I have a right and a duty to my customers to find out if you have any felony convictions related to whatever job or industry you are applying for.

I'll have to take poison after I write this!

I agree with MM on all these points.

I also think that the type of crime would make a difference. If you're a rapist, or a child molester, I'm the last one you want to apply for a job with. I wouldn't hesitate to hire an ex-con, depending on the crime committed.
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 06:46 pm
ILZ, The more you write, the less compassion I have for you.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 06:53 pm
ralpheb wrote:
ILZ, My wife works as an HR manager. I asked her about whether or not an employer can ask about criminal background questions. She said it was legal and that for her, depending on the crime, she could and would hire a person with a record. If a person leaves that area blank or puts a negative response then it becomes a falsification of the application. Again, depending on the person and the company, the company may continue to keep the employee or may terminate them.
It's interesting, because my wife just told me of a similar circumstance. A person who had been convicted of a felony came to her for employment and marked no to the felony question. It later came out that he had been and what it was for. Guy didn't stand a chance. It was for something my wife finds appauling and she had him terminated.
Whether we like it or not does not change the way that it is.

I understand that that is how it legally works. I just think it's a crappy system. People who commit crimes should be encouraged to incorperate themselves into the legal world - making it near impossible to get a decent job doesn't strike me as a good way to promote rehabilitation for them.

The government routinely steps on the toes of the business community, and imposes laws for the "greater good of society." This should be no different. Will employers be put at a disadvantage? Absolutely. But that disadvantage will be more than made up for by the benefit to society as a whole. Why? Because employed people are less likley to commit crimes.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 06:54 pm
Stevepax wrote:

Meh, if you were smart enough to be worth talking to, you'd be able to sack up and take me head on, instead of offering these meaningless jabs from the peanut gallery.

I think I'll live without your compassion.
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 06:59 pm
IronLionZion wrote:
Stevepax wrote:

Meh, if you were smart enough to be worth talking to, you'd be able to sack up and take me head on, instead of offering these meaningless jabs from the peanut gallery.

I think I'll live without your compassion.

ILZ, I don't have to be smart to take you on. That much is obvious! I just don't care to.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 07:19 am
JustWonders wrote:
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
JustWonders wrote:
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
The fault is not that the prisoner gets a kidney transplant when he needs one but rather under the primitive American healthcare system, many poor people cant afford the insurance to get themselves on the waiting list. That is the real outrage. Take your anger out on that injustice, not the prison inmate.

I'm just so curious where you get your ideas and opinions about these things

from the source provided by stevepax..

"His case has set off a series of ethical issues here," said Dr. Susan Tolle, director of the Center for Ethics in Health Care at Oregon Health & Science University in Portland. "A lot of people are angry here because prisoners across the nation are provided a basic health-care package while there are poor working-class families that cannot even afford a package. Many ask, 'Why should we provide health care to a death-row inmate?' I would turn that around and ask, 'Why can't we as a society provide a health-care package for the working poor?' "

You said, "the primitive American healthcare system, many poor people cant afford the insurance to get themselves on the waiting list, which is what I was responding to. But Steve's source did not say that as your paragraph above shows.

In a perfect world, everyone would have health insurance, but I'd hardly call the system in the US "primitive". And because it's not a perfect world, I see that the NHS in England has announced that perhaps by 2008, they'll be able to cut the wait for hospital treatment to 18 weeks. Maybe. If all goes "perfectly".

I think Dr Susan Tolle is saying exactly the same as me. These sort of anomalies bring into sharp focus the lack of a decent national health service in America. I'm not saying the NHS here is perfect. But it works pretty well for most of the people most of the time, and we wont be going back to an ad hoc system of private medical insurance any time soon.
0 Replies