Check that horoscope!

mikey

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 09:23 pm
can i change my sign now please?
is that possible to do at this late stage of the game?

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..............
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 01:21 am
Piffka..
Quote:
Satt -- Can you tell me how to estimate where in the east the moon will rise? And also how high up it will be at its highest point in the sky? These change during the different seasons of the year, I think.

Let me know your longitude and latitude (or the nearest town). I will try.
Sorry for a late reply. I was out for a while.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 01:51 am
I should also know the height of your location.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 02:05 am
msolga wrote:
Nah, sorry to disappoint you, G .... Just too many of them!!!! Shocked Confused .. The plumber, the electrician, the awning man, the compost deliverer, the handy man/repairer of things, etc, etc ..... an endless list of chaps working, working, working ... Not remotely romantic, I'm afraid. More like stressful!

Jeez !! U must be living in heaven !!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 06:49 am
Heaven, Gautam, heaven Question Shocked Question
It's more like some crazed scene from a bomb site! Shocked
Things being pulled apart, taken away .... then new things being built, fixed, constructed. Every now & then I wonder if I'll come out of this in one bit. Shocked Shocked
And I hate to tell you this, G .... But they're all happily attached chappies, just doing their jobs. My renovations are not NEARLY as exciting as yours!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 06:52 am
mikey52 wrote:
can i change my sign now please?
is that possible to do at this late stage of the game?

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..............

I have to ask, Mikey52 ... WHICH sign?
Can't be as confused & muddled as a fish swimming in 2 directions, surely? Very Happy
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 06:54 am
And what does my horoscope say for today ?? Am going out for dinner with some friends - will I meet my prince charming ???
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 07:05 am
msolga wrote:
Here You are, G!! Very Happy
Last week's, sorry. These weekly ones come out on Thursdays.
Hmmmmmmm .... Check the last bit, after the waffle ... Hmmmmmmm, what does this tell you?:

Libra Horoscope for week of April 17, 2003
My acquaintance Judith decided to go all out in helping her daughter sell Girl Scout cookies. She filled her garage with cases of all nine varieties in preparation for a marketing onslaught on friends and neighbors. Then one night disaster struck. Raccoons exploited a hole in the roof to break in and plunder the stash. But while the marauders ripped open boxes of every cookie type, they ate only one: the Samoas, also known as Carmel deLites, which are covered in caramel, sprinkled with toasted coconut, and laced with chocolate stripes. In the coming week, Libra, I urge you to be like those raccoons in this one regard: Unleash your passionate hunger very precisely. Don't go after what you sorta kinda like; pluck only the treats you long for with all your heart.

DIDN"T YOU SEE THIS ON THE PREVIOUS PAGE, G?
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 07:06 am
Oooooooooh !! They are weekly ones !! I thought they were daily ones.....
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 07:11 am
Yes, weekly....
So is this vaguely in tune with the adventures of Gautam since mid last week?
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 08:51 am
yes msolga,,,,all directions at once.
getting tiresome.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 08:55 am
Mikey

You HAVE to be a FISH PERSON, too!!!
Yes??
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 05:04 pm
Mikey -- I seriously advise that you consider becoming a Sagittarian. We have LOTS more fun!

Satt -- OK, this is close: 47 degrees 20.5' North Latitude - 122 degrees 34.5' West Longitude. Altitude? Less than 100 meters... probably less than 50 meters. Thanks, Thanks, Thanks!
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 06:08 pm
msolga.....yep

piffka.....sure, i'll try it for a week and see. any other good ones?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 06:24 pm
Uhhh, Leo?
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 06:44 pm
Piffka..
Quote:
Satt -- Can you tell me how to estimate where in the east the moon will rise? And also how high up it will be at its highest point in the sky?

The formula to estimate where in the east the moon rises is rather complicated, and let me simply put computed results here. The altitude of the full moon changes from time to time. It must be calculated with respect to the individual occasion of the full moon.

<April 16 - April 17, 2003>

At the location of 47 degrees 20.5' North Latitude - 122 degrees 34.5' West Longitude, at the sea level, with the timezone PDT (GMT-0700):

At 2003, Apr 17 01:35 PDT the moon is at the due south and its altitude is:
Altitude 31deg7.115min;
The moon sets at Apr 17 06:58.251 PDT;

Next rise of the moon is:
2003, Apr 17 21:38.333 PDT
Azimuth of the rise:114deg39.67min (azimuth is measured in degrees clockwise from the due north.)
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 06:59 pm
Piffka..
I almost missed the point.
The moon rises at Apr 16 20:13 PDT, this evening.
Azimuth of the rise is 105.4 degrees (measured clockwise from the due north).
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 08:14 pm
Thanks, Satt. I've been reading some websites about what azimuth means and one of the articles said that predicting these moon-rise points and transits (is that the right word?) is extremely complicated... that there is an 18.7 year repeating cycle and that it is much different from the solar cycle. So I thank you very much for this. I hope that it wasn't too difficult for you to make these calculations. I am very impressed. Very Happy

In this area of the country most of the horizon is obscured by tall trees. Sometimes when I have looked for the full moon, it has appeared in what seemed to be a surprising point on the horizon and just a little later than expected. Thanks again!
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 09:27 pm
Lunar position is the most difficult. Solar position and Jovian position or other planetary positions are relatively easy, once heliocentric motion has been grasped.

The Naval Observatory (with Greenwich Observatory) is publishing an almanac for positions of celestial bodies.

At this time of posting (3:26 GMT), I suppose about 2 hours remain until the moon rises at your location.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 11:04 pm
When you posted that question, Satt, the moon had risen (at the horizon line) just a few minutes before. There was nearly an hour for me before I could view the moon because of the trees and the angle of the ascendancy and the clouds. That was at 9:11... about 50 minutes ago.

I like to see the moon rise, but this is not the best location. Next time, I think I will try another place.

Around here, the best place to see it is high up in the mountains. There is a place on eastern side of Mt. Rainier that is fabulous -- about 6800 ft in altitude... and fairly close to the summit's latitude: 46.87 N and longitude: 121.758 W. That place, Sunrise Point it is called, is GREAT! Thanks, Satt - it is so interesting!
0 Replies