baseball MVP & CY YOUNG: who do you like?

fbaezer

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 04:02 pm
My take.

AL MVP
1. Josh Hamilton
2. Miguel Cabrera
3. Mike Trout

(Actually I think Cabrera should be MVP, but I doubt the Tigers will make the playoffs, and that counts)

NL MVP

1. Buster Posey
2. Ryan Braun
3. Andrew McClutchen

AL Cy Young
1. David Price
2. Chris Sale
3. Fernando Rodney

NL Cy Young
1. Gio González
2. R.A. Dickey
3. Johnny Cueto
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2012 05:40 am
@fbaezer,
Quote:
(Actually I think Cabrera should be MVP, but I doubt the Tigers will make the playoffs, and that counts)
if he wins the triple crown (currently leads in avg + rbi, 1 back in homers), how can they not name him MVP?
fbaezer

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2012 04:44 pm
@Region Philbis,
You're right, Region.
How can they not?
They should, regardless of the triple crown.
I still think they prefer Josh.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 10:17 am
@fbaezer,

winning the triple crown won't be easy, however -- there is an excellent battle for the AL HR title a-brewin'...

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x336/RegionPhilbis/AL-HR.jpg
fbaezer

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 05:15 pm
@Region Philbis,
Winning the Triple Crown has not guaranteed the MVP award previously. The most famous case is that of the great Ted Williams, who won the Triple Crown TWICE and finished 2nd in the voting both times.
You know, Region, those NYC press-boys-Babe Ruth suckers.
patiodog

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 05:32 pm
Is there a dirtier name in baseball today than Buster Posey?
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2012 05:05 am
@patiodog,

nope, not since we saw the likes of Dick Pole, Paul Assenmacher and Rusty Kuntz.

good to see you back, 'dawg...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2012 05:07 am
@fbaezer,

it's been so long (45 years) since yaz did it -- maybe the novelty of it would put him over the top?

not only is the homer title up for grabs, but now mauer has inched past trout in batting average...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 05:37 am

congrats to miggy on winning the triple crown.

texas staggered into the playoffs, losing the AL west to oakland in grand fashion in game #162.
meanwhile, the tigers won the AL central.
me thinks giving cabrera the MVP over hamilton is a no-brainer...
panzade

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 09:26 am
@Region Philbis,
Yeah, a complicated man with a classic performance.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 07:30 pm
@Region Philbis,
I gotta agree with Region and re-do my prediction. Hamilton's error helped, too.
So... Miguel Cabrera for AL MVP
...And for President of Venezuela. His alcohol problems notwithstanding, he's a much smarter choice than either Chavez or Capriles.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 07:34 pm
@fbaezer,
I enjoyed watching him produce every day.

he gets my vote for certain...

now who's the NL guy?
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2012 05:32 am
@Rockhead,

still think braun, posey a close second...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 10:10 am
Quote:
Finalists announced for Baseball Writers' Association
of America postseason awards

For the first time Wednesday, the BBWAA announced finalists for its awards. The winners will be revealed
next week live on the MLB Network, beginning Monday with the two rookies of the year and concluding
Thursday with the MVPs.

Triple Crown winner Miguel Cabrera is one of five finalists for the AL MVP award in voting by the Baseball
Writers Association of America.

The Detroit third baseman is joined by Texas' Adrian Beltre and Josh Hamilton, the New York Yankees'
Robinson Cano, and Los Angeles Angels rookie Mike Trout, who also is one of three nominees for AL
Rookie of the Year.

Milwaukee's Ryan Braun has a chance for a repeat as NL MVP. He's pitted against San Diego's Chase Headley,
Pittsburgh's Andrew McCutchen, St. Louis' Yadier Molina and San Francisco's Buster Posey.

Mets knuckleballer R.A. Dickey is among the three finalists for the NL Cy Young Award. Washington's
Gio Gonzalez and 2011 winner Clayton Kershaw of the Dodgers are also competing.

Detroit's reigning AL MVP and Cy Young winner Justin Verlander has another shot for top pitcher in the AL.
Tampa Bay's David Price and the Angels' Jered Weaver are the other two finalists. The winner in each league
will be picked Wednesday.
(Sporting News)
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 09:07 pm
On an aside, while it is obvious Mike Trout should have won the ROY for the American League, I disagree with the NL choice, Bryan Harper.

I think Wilin Rosario was REALLY overlooked because he had no media hype before his MLB debut.
See the numbers:

Harper: .270, 22 home runs, 59 RBI
Rosario: .270, 28 HR, 71 RBI
AND Rosario is a catcher.

Probably Harper will have a greater career than Rosario, but the Colorado catcher had a better rookie season.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 05:50 pm
Quote:
David Price wins AL Cy Young

Tampa Bay Rays ace David Price won the American League Cy Young Award on Wednesday,
edging 2011 winner Justin Verlander.

Price, who went 20-6 with a league-leading 2.56 ERA this past season, received 14 of 28
possible first-place votes and finished with just four more points than Verlander, who
received 13 first-place votes.

Los Angeles Angels ace Jered Weaver finished third in the voting.
(espn)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 05:59 pm
Quote:
R.A. Dickey wins NL Cy Young

Two years after R.A. Dickey was the first player cut by the New York Mets in spring training,
the knuckleballer now has a Cy Young award on his résumé.

Dickey won the National League Cy Young Award on Wednesday, becoming the first knuckle-
baller to receive the award.

Los Angeles Dodgers left-hander Clayton Kershaw finished second, followed by Washington
Nationals left-hander Gio Gonzalez.
(espn)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 05:44 pm
Quote:
Buster Posey named NL MVP

San Francisco's Buster Posey has been voted the NL Most Valuable Player after returning from a
devastating leg injury and becoming the first catcher in 70 years to win the league's batting title.

Posey received 27 of 32 first-place votes and 422 points from the Baseball Writers' Association of
America, outdistancing 2011 winner Ryan Braun of Milwaukee, who was second with 285 points.

The 2010 NL Rookie of the Year, Posey set career highs with a .336 average, 24 homers and 103 RBIs
for the World Series champion Giants. His 2011 season was cut short by a collision with the Marlins'
Scott Cousins on May 25 that resulted in a fractured bone in Posey's lower left leg and three torn
ankle ligaments.

Pittsburgh Pirates outfielder Andrew McCutchen finished third in the voting with 245 overall points.
Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina was fourth with 241 points and received two first-place votes.
Padres third baseman Chase Headley was fifth with 127 points.
(espn)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 05:52 pm

and finally...
Quote:
Miguel Cabrera named AL MVP

Miguel Cabrera was named the American League's MVP on Thursday, beating rookie phenom
Mike Trout by a much wider margin than most anticipated.

Cabrera, baseball's first Triple Crown winner since 1967, received 22 out of 28 possible first-place
votes for the award. The Detroit Tigers slugger batted .330 with 44 home runs and 149 RBIs.

Trout received the other six first-place votes three days after being named the AL Rookie of the Year.
(espn)
fbaezer

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 08:17 pm
@Region Philbis,
My batting average on this stuff is still very high. Smile